Humble Bundle EU IV

Started by Ian C, January 21, 2020, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

A lot of content for $17:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv?

(FYI: the slider alters how much of your money goes to charity).

Gusington

If only I could wrap my peanut brain around those Paradox games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ian C

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2020, 03:47:10 PM

The journey can be long, but I enjoy my mistakes on the way.

Toonces

Do I own this game?

(Checks Steam Library...)

"Last play November 15, 2015.  Play time: 22 minutes."

::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

CJReich46

:nerd: Well payday is this week. So it does have a possibility.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2020, 03:47:10 PM

That sh*t is like crack once you figure it out.

Quote from: Toonces on January 21, 2020, 04:18:17 PM
Do I own this game?

(Checks Steam Library...)

"Last play November 15, 2015.  Play time: 22 minutes."

::)

I have 80+ hours in on that game.  Most of it mp with Kushan.  It's not nearly enough time to get comfortable and proficient.  I like the time period and the mechanics.  My favorite is decisions you make to hone your empire along cultural, military, economic, etc. lines.  It gives you an opportunity to tailor your goals to your play style.

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

608 hours.  Last time in 2018.  You guys know those counters run even when you've tab switched out to other programs, right. 

Martok

Quote from: Ian C on January 21, 2020, 03:41:21 PM
A lot of content for $17:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv?

(FYI: the slider alters how much of your money goes to charity).
I don't know.  From what I've read/heard, I'm not sure I'd want most (or any?) of the DLC anyway. 

That's why when EU IV was on sale during the holidays, I only picked up the base game.  The core experience is considered excellent; the expansions, not so much. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Ian C

All recommended DLC is included according to Strategy Gamer . com.
https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/europa-universalis-iv-dlc-buying-guide/

The Best EU4 DLC

We've sorted the expansions into two ranked lists: Essential for Everybody, and Situational (depending on what nation you're playing), as I think they're all worth owning eventually - it's just a matter of what order you prioritize them. If you have to make a tough choice, I'd acquire all of the 'Essential' ones in order first, then grab the 'Situational' ones that apply to the countries and features you're most interested in checking out.

ESSENTIAL:

Art of War
    Common Sense
    Rights of Man
    The Cossacks
    Mandate of Heaven

SITUATIONAL:

Cradle of Civilization (Persia area)
    Dharma (India and the Far East)
    El Dorado (Colonising nations)
    Rule Britannia (British Isles)
    Wealth of Nations (Trade-focused nations)
    Third Rome (Russia)

FlickJax

So is it fun to play or does it play itself?

jamus34

Quote from: FlickJax on January 22, 2020, 04:55:34 AM
So is it fun to play or does it play itself?

That's actually an interesting question. I may be the minority but I find the EU series to be the most "autopilot" of the paradox games.

Again I'm not an expert but I would hit huge swaths where there just was not much going on.

Not saying it's bad, just my personal observation.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

That's basically what I never understood about these games. When I've attempted to play, I was basically just going through menus and ticking boxes, and the game did feel like it was playing itself with minimal input from me. I always thought I just 'wasn't getting it.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bboyer66

It really depends on what you want to do. The main action comes from wars with other countries. I've had great fun playing England, Sweden, Prussia (actually creating Prussia from the Teutonic Order), and Russia (created from Moskva). Always something going on either attacking, or defending. Granted between wars can become slightly tedious as you pretty much prepare your country for another war.  Some countries are more entertaining due to colonization during the non war periods. But all in all I find it quite entertaining setting up my armies, and navies, etc. during the non war periods. Managing the economy to get the most out of your provinces is also necessary.  Lets not forget diplomacy is rather  entertaining as well, as any success in the game will require alliances, especially if you have wolves at your doorstep.  To be successful in this game you have to continually be involved in pretty much everything. Rarely have I ever felt like the game was on rails, and that my input did not matter.  If you think the game plays itself, you won't last long in the game.   

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd