Author Topic: Epic Games -- download speed  (Read 334 times)

Offline steve58

• Condottieri
Epic Games -- download speed
« on: January 05, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
As posted in another thread, I treated myself to a new PC after many many years.  My new PC came with a freebie (Borderlands 3 or The Outer Worlds).  I ended up selecting TOWs.  Anyway, this is my 1st download with Epic Games and it is slow as #@$%.  For those of you more familiar with EG, are their downloads always so d@mn slow?
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell

If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you’re probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time.   Mike Adams

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
Re: Epic Games -- download speed
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 03:32:57 PM »
I don't think I've experienced that, but I'll watch more carefully next time I download something.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline SirAndrewD

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:25:24 PM »
I've found their downloads to be considerably slower than Steam, yes.

Offline mbar

• Viking
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 08:05:24 AM »
All that Tencent money and they won't splurge for bandwidth?
"I’d tell y’all to give them the same amount of love you gave me, but that’s just kind of a mean thing to wish on them!" -- Brant Guillory

Offline Tpek

• Condottieri
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 04:51:51 PM »
I haven't compared their speeds with Steam (which would be quite unfair as Steam has download servers all across the globe), but they were fine when I downloaded large games through them (Fornite back in the day, The Outer Worlds and Phoenix Point).

Offline jamus34

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
One (relatively dumb) question - did you check app settings to see if maybe it's throttled at all?

I know when I'm playing an online game I purposely throttle my steam DL speed because updates have a tendency to pop when they want.
Insert witty comment here.

Offline steve58

• Condottieri
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
^Thanks for the suggestion, but after digging into the Epic launcher, I can't see/find any options that would slow it down or speed it up (except for a Proxy option that I suspect would just slow things down even more).  Doing a little searching on the internet, I see others complaining about the speed, so it is what it is, at least for now.

p.s.  and yes Downloads during gameplay are off.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:18:29 AM by steve58 »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell

If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you’re probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time.   Mike Adams