Main Menu

Oh, FRIDAY

Started by Tripoli, December 06, 2019, 07:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

BoC work, a bit of CMO.  Still thinking about doing an AAR in that.  And my Civil War II AAR
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Age of Empires has become an addictive gaming staple for me again, and I haven't even played a canned campaign yet, just been setting up my own matches.

Also finally started Ancestors Legacy - about half way through the Viking campaign and liked it enough to buy the DLC Saladin campaign for 4.00.

Also finally put in some time with Kingdom Come: Deliverance and I am trying to figure out how to survive the end of the intro and escape my town on horseback - it's tough!

Now is also the time of year when I consider trying to learn WOFF again - or give in to my basest gaming urges and try out Flying Circus.

Gaming evil lurks everywhere.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

DCS...F16...JF-17...VR...Reverb...oh, my.

...and maybe some Phoenix Point?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

^Phoenix Point looks pretty good from what I've seen so far.  What are your initial impressions?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tuna

Awesome band, and awesome album Tripoli!

FoG:E mp, and maybe sp. Not sure what else.

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2019, 07:52:44 AM
!

Now is also the time of year when I consider trying to learn WOFF again - or give in to my basest gaming urges and try out Flying Circus.

Gaming evil lurks everywhere.

Keep up with WOOF-The campaign system is great.  O0

I suck at virtual flying, so stable aircraft such as the Sopwith Pup are a good choice for me.  The DH2 or the Camel?  Notsomuch.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on December 06, 2019, 08:30:35 AM
^Phoenix Point looks pretty good from what I've seen so far.  What are your initial impressions?

Only just scratched the surface, but I enjoyed what I played so far. I'm a sucker for these types of games though, so there may be some bias there...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Well, having the willpower of a child, I picked up GR:Breakpoint earlier this week (along with WitP:AE), so I'm busy poppin' tech-bro's bully boys' heads ("clang!" and helmet goes a flyin') and I have to say, running with an all ABU (Airman Battle Uniform) colored loadout is the only time this camo pattern has looked good.  Also, watching the multitude of GR:Breakpoint videos on Youtube has alerted me to a tactikilt being an available cosmetic somewhere so...

All things considered, GR:Breakpoint ain't all that bad.  I'd honestly love to see the Division adopt the more "lethal," gun gameplay that GR:Wildlands/Breakpoint seems to offer - at least as an option - but perhaps I'm masochistic that way.

Stay safe, all, and see you on Tanoa Auroa!

Gusington

Tripoli any other advice for WOFF? I have been trying for many years to get into it but I just suck at the flying. I want to experience the campaign but I find the actual flying flummoxing, to say the least. Been trying for years 😓

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2019, 01:00:02 PM
Tripoli any other advice for WOFF? I have been trying for many years to get into it but I just suck at the flying. I want to experience the campaign but I find the actual flying flummoxing, to say the least. Been trying for years 😓

As the old adage goes; misery loves company...I've gone back to WOFF time and time again and just can't get good at WW1 air combat.

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 06, 2019, 09:14:57 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 06, 2019, 08:30:35 AM

Only just scratched the surface, but I enjoyed what I played so far. I'm a sucker for these types of games though, so there may be some bias there...

...and probably the same bias I have as well.  So if I read between the lines it sounds like a game I might like too. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tripoli

I also suck at virtual flying, so I have a a lot of sympathy.  Here's a couple of things: 1) Make sure your control sensitivity is near max, and your null zones are minimal; 2) Use TrackIR or a similar system to help keep visual awareness; 3) Do some quick fights to get some practice in your aircraft type; 4) When you start your career, try starting out in an easy, stable aircraft.  The Be2 is extremely forgiving.  If you start a career in late June 1915, you would be flying before the Eindeckers are around, so you can get your feet wet in flying in WOFF.  However, if you have the attention span of a 5-year old (like most fighter jocks) :) and you just have to start blowing stuff up right away, try a career in an Sopwith Pup, as it is very stable and forgiving.  Even with the Pup, do 5-10 quick combats (in easy mode)  to get the feel of the aircraft; 4) The genius of WOFF is the career mode, so once you fly the 5-10 quick combat missions and get a couple of kills, fly in career mode.  If you still suck at flying, put it on the easier modes until you get better.  Consider using autorudder, automatic fuel mixture and some of the easier AI settings, even in career mode.  You will soon find yourself thinking about how to survive in the air as you become attached to your pilot.  You also start getting some stories, as WOFF has random mechanical failures, bad weather, etc.  When you survive some of failures you are as happy as if you had just shot down 2 EAs.   

In addition, if you have any particular issues with flying, such as how to land or take off, etc, stop by the WOFF group at  https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/372/1     They are very helpful and it is a good site for those interested in the game.  Some of the "Deep Immersion" stuff they are writing is pretty good.

Gusington

Tripoli I owe you a beer or something, thank you. Gonna snip that above post and save it. Hopefully Rayfer, another flight sim sufferer, will see it too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 06, 2019, 08:01:59 AM
DCS...F16...JF-17...VR...Reverb...oh, my.

...and maybe some Phoenix Point?

DCS...AV8...Post Scriptum...M1 or Lee-Enfield...oh dear

Father Ted

My advice would be to learn to fly the machines before doing the campaign.  I know that sounds patronising, but these sims are about actually flying first and foremost, so go back to the fundamentals before trying the combat. Take some time and treat it like you're aiming to get your PPL.  Seems boring, but learning to "fly" will make the game more satisfying