TBD/SBD Flight Simulators?

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 10, 2019, 07:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

After seeing the movie Midway this weekend, kind of had the curiosity to fly the TBD and SBD aircraft....is there any modern flight sim out there that has these as flyable aircraft?  I think the "air conflict" series might have them but those are a little too arcade for me.  I remember playing a pacific flight sim back in the day (maybe it was microsoft combat sim and/or aces over the pacific) and remembering having a pretty decent time, but certainly looking for something modern nowadays.

The_Admiral

Nothing better than Il-2 1946 (modded) for solo & multi, or War Thunder for multi only afaik in 2019...  :-\

Staggerwing

^I was going to say 'Pacific Fighters', which was originally released as standalone but is now part of IL2 1946.

IIRC, there are no torpedoes though, so if the TBD is in there it's probably not much fun to fly. The SBD should be good to go.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 10, 2019, 08:15:04 AM
^I was going to say 'Pacific Fighters', which was originally released as standalone but is now part of IL2 1946.

IIRC, there are no torpedoes though, so if the TBD is in there it's probably not much fun to fly. The SBD should be good to go.

They are in War thunder.  As is the Swordfish.  Not exactly simulators of course.

The_Admiral

Regarding il-2 - actually torps were in the game from the beginning, as you could fly the il2T. Very early on the He111 had them as a loadout too - it's just that the simulation isn't very deep. But IIRC there was no TBD in Pacific Fighters (even AI). Since then I think the gents over at SAS have corrected this (and a lot more!)

In all honesty though, it is not much more advanced than what War Thunder offers despite the latter's focus on gameplay. The launch envelope is very, very forgiving and all torpedoes always activate and detonate. Still, makes for nice gameplay with certain planes (Beaufighter attacks are great fun!)

MengJiao

Quote from: The_Admiral on November 10, 2019, 09:16:07 AM
Regarding il-2 - actually torps were in the game from the beginning, as you could fly the il2T. Very early on the He111 had them as a loadout too - it's just that the simulation isn't very deep. But IIRC there was no TBD in Pacific Fighters (even AI). Since then I think the gents over at SAS have corrected this (and a lot more!)

In all honesty though, it is not much more advanced than what War Thunder offers despite the latter's focus on gameplay. The launch envelope is very, very forgiving and all torpedoes always activate and detonate. Still, makes for nice gameplay with certain planes (Beaufighter attacks are great fun!)

yep, here's my old Devastator:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 10, 2019, 07:49:46 AM
After seeing the movie Midway this weekend, kind of had the curiosity to fly the TBD and SBD aircraft....is there any modern flight sim out there that has these as flyable aircraft?  I think the "air conflict" series might have them but those are a little too arcade for me.  I remember playing a pacific flight sim back in the day (maybe it was microsoft combat sim and/or aces over the pacific) and remembering having a pretty decent time, but certainly looking for something modern nowadays.

Here's to the IL2 BOX series finally going to the pacific now that Bodenplatte is released.  I kinda wish they went pacific now and Bodenplatte latter, just think of the marketing cue that would have been for them to release IL2 BOX Midway the same week as the movie with every one itchng to do some midway simming.

I think the decision to go Bodenplatte now made for the 3 way forward dev cycle possible with BP, FC, and tank crew all going at once.  Going off to the pacific would not have made that possible.

When they do go pacific, they can cross a few of the planes off the list from BP and for sure focus on the SBDs and TBDs.....Can't wait.

FarAway Sooner

Can't help you on the sim front, but my dad built SBDs during the war! 

More specifically, he was a technical writer for Douglas Aircraft at their El Segundo factory in California.  Being a technical writer never seemed nearly as glamorous as factory line work, until recently I came to appreciate just how many new models of planes were getting shipped halfway around the world to plane crews who had literally never seen them before in their lives. 

After that, I had a little better appreciation for how technical writers might have been a valuable part of the war effort after all...   :)

The_Admiral

Quote from: Skoop on November 10, 2019, 04:19:19 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 10, 2019, 07:49:46 AM

Here's to the IL2 BOX series finally going to the pacific now that Bodenplatte is released.  I kinda wish they went pacific now and Bodenplatte latter, just think of the marketing cue that would have been for them to release IL2 BOX Midway the same week as the movie with every one itchng to do some midway simming.

I think the decision to go Bodenplatte now made for the 3 way forward dev cycle possible with BP, FC, and tank crew all going at once.  Going off to the pacific would not have made that possible.

When they do go pacific, they can cross a few of the planes off the list from BP and for sure focus on the SBDs and TBDs.....Can't wait.

Aye. But I can't help but believe that going for Midway & al as the next step for a Pacific Theater would be sound in terms of buzz, but detrimental to gameplay and eventually their future development plans. Midway and, to a certain extent SOPAC in 1942 are a dead-end of a theater. And if distances are realistic, OMG you're in for a ride.

Honestly, if they were to announce the development of Pacific, from a gameplay perspective I would really, really push for Leyte more than anything. Half the planes are there, all the 5 services (USN, USMC, USAAF, IJN, IJA) all had an actual part, the campaign is a few weeks long with a lot of potential and variety (aka anti-shipping is there, but so is CAS and even airborne assaults...!) with some planes that are modifications of those that already exist (Jug, Lightning, A-20, B-25, P-40s...) and some new additions that are exciting, competitive and still - for some of them - super legendary (IJA, late war IJN planes, FM2, F6F, F4U, TBF...), allowing for a step by step release of new content. Besides, carrier ops don't need to be very advanced at the beginning if they focus on Jeep carriers before tackling Fleet carriers (which will be an excellent way to prepare for an actual Midway-SOPAC expansion).

MengJiao

Quote from: The_Admiral on November 11, 2019, 03:04:03 AM

Sure, but to take a different tack and ignore BoX, the South Pacific in 1942-1943 is a time and place of mythic intensity.  If some developer just started off with floatplanes versus PT boats and submarines you'd already be delving into pure myth.  If you added voyaging on currents in your floatplane or seaching for lost pilots and so on and survival you'd have a mythological basis for developing the whole theater bit-by-mythological bit.  The locals could even use their mysterious cargo-cult-based wierd magical abilities and players could be savages with canoes and/or coastwatchers etc. etc.

Rayfer

Quote from: MengJiao on November 11, 2019, 10:11:21 AM

Sure, but to take a different tack and ignore BoX, the South Pacific in 1942-1943 is a time and place of mythic intensity.  If some developer just started off with floatplanes versus PT boats and submarines you'd already be delving into pure myth.  If you added voyaging on currents in your floatplane or seaching for lost pilots and so on and survival you'd have a mythological basis for developing the whole theater bit-by-mythological bit.  The locals could even use their mysterious cargo-cult-based wierd magical abilities and players could be savages with canoes and/or coastwatchers etc. etc.

MJ...you use the terms myth, mythic and mythological but not sure what you mean by them in context to the discussion?  Thanks.

MengJiao

Quote from: Rayfer on November 11, 2019, 10:45:01 AM

MJ...you use the terms myth, mythic and mythological but not sure what you mean by them in context to the discussion?  Thanks.

I think it boils down to "atmosphere"...jungle survival...one man against various empires (in the case of coast watchers), savage tribes, archaic and arcane gear (eg the Black Cat Floatplanes)...mysterious islands...mysterious and dangerous and even legendary enemies and ships ( Zeros, USS Enterprise, PT 109) disaster, redemption, Yankee ingenuity,  the whole folkloric nine-yards of intense plotting (as in stories), with codes and sneaky deeds and so on.

Rayfer

Quote from: MengJiao on November 11, 2019, 05:38:49 PM

I think it boils down to "atmosphere"...jungle survival...one man against various empires (in the case of coast watchers), savage tribes, archaic and arcane gear (eg the Black Cat Floatplanes)...mysterious islands...mysterious and dangerous and even legendary enemies and ships ( Zeros, USS Enterprise, PT 109) disaster, redemption, Yankee ingenuity,  the whole folkloric nine-yards of intense plotting (as in stories), with codes and sneaky deeds and so on.

LOL...got it.  And all set the Broadway/Film musical "South Pacific"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGyfw3yiMT4

MengJiao

Quote from: Rayfer on November 11, 2019, 06:23:35 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 11, 2019, 05:38:49 PM

LOL...got it.  And all set the Broadway/Film musical "South Pacific"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGyfw3yiMT4

Yep, pretty much.   I forgot about the whole "exotic" thing, but sure that too and the uncanny encounters with basic "natural" things...volcanos, insects rainforests, coral reefs, sharks, salt water crocodiles, sailboats, gasoline, AA guns etc. radios, the moment the Marines on Guadalcanal find out the elite shock unit of the Imperial Army (with its Chrysanthemum insigna) has landed and is heading their way.