Main Menu

Embarrassing...

Started by Jarhead0331, October 16, 2019, 10:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Something tells me this third-party developer won't be doing work for Paradox in the future...

Stellaris: Galaxy Command, a mobile spin-off by an external studio, launched into beta on Tuesday but Paradox pulled it from sale only five hours later after players discovered stolen Halo artwork lurking in the game's menus.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/16/paradox-pull-their-stellaris-mobile-game-after-nicking-halo-artwork/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Something tells me some lawyers are get some work out of this.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

I guess some guys at Paradox are going to be fired as well.

airboy

I read the story and Paradox did the right thing.  They monitored the release, caught the mistakes early, and took down the product very quickly.  If my artwork had been lifted and I saw that response, I probably would not get lawyers involved.

Can't see how Paradox could have done better aside from catching this before release.

Thanks for posting - this was interesting.

Anguille

The mistakes were seen by players. Paradox didn't see a thing.

Jarhead0331

I don't think lawyers will get involved beyond a cease and desist. This appears to have been caught quickly and there does not seem to be any real basis for damages at this point. I don't even think the product was sold.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

besilarius

Kind of surprised this doesn't happen more often.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

DoctorQuest

I am trying to remember the stories around Yankee Air Pirate and Strike Fighters mods. I know it was at least alleged that the YAP team "borrowed" some freeware mods for a payware product. I do know that a lot of the modders for SF1 and SF2 got pretty pissy about specifically stating the mods could only be used as freeware. I don't know if the two items are connected.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Destraex

Yeah my son told me about this. He is a great fan of stellaris.
Afraid though, that the title of this thread is the kind of thing that is a pet hate of mine especially on facebook. If it was not you Jarhead. I would not have clicked on it. I keep imagining the local library changing all the book cover and spine titles to single click bait sounding words. You go to the war section and see things on the spine like "well this was cool", "you gotta read this", " you will love this", "must read". I will now probably have this nightmare tonight :)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

FarAway Sooner

You must have different web browsing habits than I do, Destraex.  In my library, the books would all be titled "9 inches now!!!" and "Pretty Girls Want to Meet You"...    ;D

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Ian C

Almost as embarrassing as when Paradox released the Hearts of Iron III demo before realising it was the full game and pulled it offline.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 17, 2019, 12:35:02 AM
Yeah my son told me about this. He is a great fan of stellaris.
Afraid though, that the title of this thread is the kind of thing that is a pet hate of mine especially on facebook. If it was not you Jarhead. I would not have clicked on it. I keep imagining the local library changing all the book cover and spine titles to single click bait sounding words. You go to the war section and see things on the spine like "well this was cool", "you gotta read this", " you will love this", "must read". I will now probably have this nightmare tonight :)

Everyone is a damn critic.  :tickedoff:

I mean, it is a post on grogheads...in the computer Wargaming forum...posted by me...so you know it's not going to be a link to feminine hygiene products and you have some idea of what the content will be.  Besides, I thought the simple title was  preferable to "Paradox pulls new Stellaris game from distribution over alleged plagerization of halo art assets".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

JH's Tampax posts are classics in the genre.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes, I love his tag line, "All in or go Home".  ::)    I wonder, is this going to be considered an honest mistake or outright thievery?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.