Main Menu

Battles for Spain

Started by Jarhead0331, August 22, 2019, 12:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This one caught my eye. Was reviewed by Bill Gray over at wargamer. Didn't even know it existed...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/984730/Battles_For_Spain/

Interesting conflict and looks like an interesting game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Here's the Wargamer review.  I wonder how it compares to the Ageod game?  https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/battles-for-spain/

al_infierno

Just came here to post this but you beat me to it  :D

Looks very cool.  This is by the same developer who did Wars Across the World, but it looks like they buckled down to deliver a fully fleshed out wargame experience focused on one conflict.  I've been on the hunt for more SCW games, so I'll definitely check this one out.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

What Spanish Civil War games are out there?  I have Espania 1936 - but it looks like one of those games where the computer plays itself.

I'm very interested in the conflict and have read a number of books on the subject.

al_infierno

^ John Tiller Software has a Squad Battles game set in the SCW.  There are also some unofficial ASL scenarios but that's about all I can think of.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

I saw it and like the fact different than most stuff....but for some reason at least for me, currently at a price ($30) that I likely wouldn't get the value out of based on my habits.  Future sale watch for me.

airboy

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 22, 2019, 01:08:55 PM
I saw it and like the fact different than most stuff....but for some reason at least for me, currently at a price ($30) that I likely wouldn't get the value out of based on my habits.  Future sale watch for me.

I also wishlisted it.

HoodedHorseJoe

It's using a modified version of the Wars Across the World Engine (which I think Headquarters licensed from Avalon Digital), but the dev team have their roots in AGEOD games. I think this is the same team that made Espagne 1936?

I've only really got Bill's comments in the early part of the review to go on so I'd have to ask him directly to clarify, but this isn't the WatW team, it's an AGEOD-trained team working with the WatW engine.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)