Author Topic: UK military contract with Slitherine  (Read 1436 times)

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
Re: UK military contract with Slitherine
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
Yes (even though it features a Combat Mission screenshot, not sure how Battlefront feels about this - but not easy to blame the government for not knowing what they just bought, is it  ::) )

Here's another report, which at least features a CMANO screenshot, which seems a tad bit more relevant, although obviously it's a rehash of the original MoD communique
https://www.mcvuk.com/war-games-developer-slitherine-signs-1-5m-contract-to-make-wargaming-tools-based-on-its-strategy-games/

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:20:53 AM »
Wow - very interesting.
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
  • Honus Wagner - "The Flying Dutchman"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 06:58:38 AM »
Good for them! 
Honus Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 07:04:34 AM »
Yes (even though it features a Combat Mission screenshot, not sure how Battlefront feels about this - but not easy to blame the government for not knowing what they just bought, is it  ::) )

Here's another report, which at least features a CMANO screenshot, which seems a tad bit more relevant, although obviously it's a rehash of the original MoD communique
https://www.mcvuk.com/war-games-developer-slitherine-signs-1-5m-contract-to-make-wargaming-tools-based-on-its-strategy-games/

Well the vid did show them using Flashpoint.

Offline Con

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:18:33 AM »
Inquiring minds want to know the government policy on dongles

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »

Our government's policy on all storage devices is to eventually leave them on the seat of a train to be lost or stolen.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 07:26:56 AM »
Ha!
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Offline A Canadian Cat

• Hoplite
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
They seem OK with that since they are also involved in the project. Checkout this from Steve at BFC:http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135488-online-magazine-posted-bfs-game-screenshot/?tab=comments#comment-1797056

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
Does this mean we qualify as Field Marshalls in the British Army? Cause I want some of that bling on my shirts.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Wolfe1759

• Viking
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »
Does this mean we qualify as Field Marshalls in the British Army? Cause I want some of that bling on my shirts.  :bd:

Field Marshal The Right Honourable Sir Slash KG, KP, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCMG, GCIE, PC does have a certain ring to it I'll give you that  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Offline Toonces

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »

Whatever happened to RyanE?  I don't recall seeing him around in a while.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

"The less I hear, the less you say." - Linkin Park

Offline MOS:96B2P

• Equites
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
Some interesting quotes from Steve at BFC about BFC's involvement in the contract:

Yes, we are working on a customized version of Combat Mission for use within the British military establishment.

And BFC has had a contract with the New Zealand military for awhile:

For NZ we did not modify the game engine at all.  Just TO&E, models, and textures.

Link below:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135488-online-magazine-posted-bfs-game-screenshot/

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Wait until the Brits try to install their upgrades.... Sorry, just too easy to resist. "Bad Slash, Bad, Bad, Slash"!  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Con

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
Wait until the Brits try to install their upgrades.... Sorry, just too easy to resist. "Bad Slash, Bad, Bad, Slash"!  :hug:
In the same sense of humor does Brexit mean they will have to get a second license and email Elvis on the grog board for tech help on the modules