Author Topic: UK military contract with Slitherine  (Read 859 times)

Offline The_Admiral

• Velites
Re: UK military contract with Slitherine
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
Yes (even though it features a Combat Mission screenshot, not sure how Battlefront feels about this - but not easy to blame the government for not knowing what they just bought, is it  ::) )

Here's another report, which at least features a CMANO screenshot, which seems a tad bit more relevant, although obviously it's a rehash of the original MoD communique
https://www.mcvuk.com/war-games-developer-slitherine-signs-1-5m-contract-to-make-wargaming-tools-based-on-its-strategy-games/

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:20:53 AM »
Wow - very interesting.
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 06:58:38 AM »
Good for them! 
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 07:04:34 AM »
Yes (even though it features a Combat Mission screenshot, not sure how Battlefront feels about this - but not easy to blame the government for not knowing what they just bought, is it  ::) )

Here's another report, which at least features a CMANO screenshot, which seems a tad bit more relevant, although obviously it's a rehash of the original MoD communique
https://www.mcvuk.com/war-games-developer-slitherine-signs-1-5m-contract-to-make-wargaming-tools-based-on-its-strategy-games/

Well the vid did show them using Flashpoint.

Offline Con

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:18:33 AM »
Inquiring minds want to know the government policy on dongles

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »

Our government's policy on all storage devices is to eventually leave them on the seat of a train to be lost or stolen.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 07:26:56 AM »
Ha!
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline A Canadian Cat

• Hoplite
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
They seem OK with that since they are also involved in the project. Checkout this from Steve at BFC:http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135488-online-magazine-posted-bfs-game-screenshot/?tab=comments#comment-1797056

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
Does this mean we qualify as Field Marshalls in the British Army? Cause I want some of that bling on my shirts.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Wolfe1759

• Viking
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »
Does this mean we qualify as Field Marshalls in the British Army? Cause I want some of that bling on my shirts.  :bd:

Field Marshal The Right Honourable Sir Slash KG, KP, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCMG, GCIE, PC does have a certain ring to it I'll give you that  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »

Whatever happened to RyanE?  I don't recall seeing him around in a while.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline MOS:96B2P

• Velites
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
Some interesting quotes from Steve at BFC about BFC's involvement in the contract:

Yes, we are working on a customized version of Combat Mission for use within the British military establishment.

And BFC has had a contract with the New Zealand military for awhile:

For NZ we did not modify the game engine at all.  Just TO&E, models, and textures.

Link below:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135488-online-magazine-posted-bfs-game-screenshot/

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Wait until the Brits try to install their upgrades.... Sorry, just too easy to resist. "Bad Slash, Bad, Bad, Slash"!  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Con

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
Wait until the Brits try to install their upgrades.... Sorry, just too easy to resist. "Bad Slash, Bad, Bad, Slash"!  :hug:
In the same sense of humor does Brexit mean they will have to get a second license and email Elvis on the grog board for tech help on the modules