Author Topic: Rule the Waves 2  (Read 8462 times)

Offline al_infierno

• Viking
Re: Rule the Waves 2
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »
How is the non-combat part of the game? Research, design, diplomacy, economy, etc.? I suspect that the strategic aspects of the game might interest me more than the actual tactical battles...

The ship design is by far the best part of the game, and probably where you'll spend the majority of your game time.  The research, diplomacy, economic etc. aspect is fun as well, but since you play the role as the admiral of the navy, you don't have much direct control over what your nation does aside from random events where you can choose to piss off one nation or another, that kind of thing.

Going to war or staying at peace is abstracted as sort of a "tension meter" with each foreign country, and if you pass an arbitrary threshold, you are now at war.  Also -- and this is as big one for me -- the AI nations never go to war with each other.

So overall, I'd say that the strategic layer is a bit of a mixed bag leaning towards good; the ship design is fuckin' great; the tactical battles are fairly forgettable (and honestly just slow down the game for me -- the game desperately needs an auto-resolve.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:18:52 PM by al_infierno »
If yer lookin' for the general, I know where he is...

"Don't quote me boy, 'cause I ain't said shit."  -- Eazy-E

Online Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2019, 03:27:17 PM »
Ouch! No auto resolve!?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline DennisS

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2019, 10:06:18 PM »
Ouch! No auto resolve!?

No. You either accept the battle, or forfeit the victory points. I believe..and don't quote me here, that if you give up the battles, you stand a greater chance of a white peace. Not sure about that one...but I HAVE dominated a war, and gotten just that.

Now, just to be safe, I play every fight. If you know that going in, then accept the dramatically slower pace of your campaign. Battles every month, that take 20 minutes to play. For a two year war, easily anticipate 6 hours of battle. Average 4 wars per campaign...about 50 hours to complete. As mentioned before, 20 hours or more will be spend fiddling with the ship construction.

When one of your creations work well, it's a real treat. When that CL with four inch main guns gets loose among a bunch of enemy DD's, and wrecks them, it is very gratifying. Opposite that is when a turret blows up, and your new BB does a "Hood."