Author Topic: Combat mission fortress Italy - Rome to victory  (Read 1016 times)

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
Re: Combat mission fortress Italy - Rome to victory
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:06 PM »
yes has random battles....

Quick Battle system sets up deliberate or randomized battles based on player specifications

as for difficulty, that is probably subjective based on each person.  for me, i have never found the computer easy but i realize i am not as good at these games as other people.

Maps are all pre-made though. Just randomly selected from a pool of pre-made maps.

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Viking
    • tacticalwargamer.com
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 01:13:42 PM »
1] I have not played this series for a while.  How challenging has it become since the first three (CMBO; CMBB; CMAK)?
I think the new game engine is more challenging but in a good way. There is more detail so you can see more of what is going on. This leads to a better (clearer) perception of casulties by the player. If you make a mistake (or the TacAI does) you will pay more dearly for it. Or at least see what you lost.

2] Does it still include a random battle generator?
Some one answered that there was a random battle generator. I just want to expand on that a bit. There is no random map generator. The current CMFI game ships with around 401 QB maps (I might have a few additional ones on my machine where I got that count from) that you can have the QB battle generator choose from. There are some duplicate in the maps - meaning that the same terrain might be used in an assault and a meeting engagement but the objectives and the AI will play differently even if the terrain is the same between two maps. For example there are 118 different Assault maps in my QB folder. The force selection can be randomly picked. It's not perfect but much better than when CMBN came out.

The maps in CMFI - actually all the CM2 titles - were really interesting and well done with good attention to detail. I'm still impressed at just how many high quality maps are offered on the release discs. Yes, they are pulled from the pool, but there are so many I think you could play indefinitely on them and not get bored. ASL players are still using the original dozen paper maps, for example, in their scenarios. Coupled with a full-blown editor that permits you to make your own, there's lots to like about the maps even without random generation (which I would still love to see).

But I'm still serious when I ask what the update will have that other CMs don't already have - each title seemed to reintroduce some of the little things that were lost since the conversion to the second gen engine. We finally have flame weapons back in, ever since I think CM:RT with backwards ports to the other titles. I'd really love to see the water elevation bug squashed.

Offline demjansk1942

• Velites
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:09:07 AM »
Question
If I don't have this game at all but have other titles I still have to purchase the base game from Battlefront for $60.00 ?

Correct and thanks

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #18 on: Today at 05:25:27 AM »
Question
If I don't have this game at all but have other titles I still have to purchase the base game from Battlefront for $60.00 ?

Correct and thanks

If your asking that to use/purchase the Rome module, do you need the base Fortress Italy game, the answer is YES.  Rome is an addon module to the base game.  They do offer some bundles at a little cheaper price.