Author Topic: Midway remake out in cinemas NOV 8  (Read 3660 times)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
Re: Midway remake out in cinemas NOV 8
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2019, 02:36:20 PM »
Our fellow grog Invicta hosts Craig Symonds talking about the strategic and operational situation for the Midway battle.

The movie gets A LOT of this stuff right, btw.

The biggest thing it gets wrong, obviously for dramatic/timing purposes, is the idea that the fight was basically over after Best's attack on the Akagi. The 3rd and 4th carrier fights get compressed into this time period, and the two retaliation attacks on the Yorktown are ignored so far as I recall (which eventually would lead to its sinking but which were reported as two immediate different carrier losses when it stayed operational through heroic efforts).

I suspect, though I haven't been able to confirm yea or nay yet, that the infamous shot of the turtled carrier Yorktown, supposedly set in the aftermath of the Coral Sea battle (when of course had the carrier been that far gone she wouldn't have gotten back to dry dock to arrive to fight at Midway at the last moment), is actually an asset from a sequence acknowledging the eventual loss of the Yorktown which was deleted from the film for pacing purposes.

Maybe there should be an intraquel focusing on the Yorktown's crazy levels of survival during this period, since a good portion of her crew came back later to find she still hadn't sunk and were in the process of attempting a skeleton-crew recovery to sail her into port when she (and the destroyer holding the rest of her crew) were ambushed by the I-168 and finished off.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:55:47 PM by JasonPratt »
Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Strategic Werewolf Axe-chopping Simulator video AAR!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »
The attack on the Yorktown was not shown. 

The result was briefly on camera (Yorktown in Flames) and back in Pearl they mention losing Yorktown while 3 Jap carriers were sunk.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »
Invicta then goes on to review the film. Gives it good historical marks!

"It's like the historical film you or I would produce."
Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Strategic Werewolf Axe-chopping Simulator video AAR!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.