EA Origin Premier Access

Started by Jarhead0331, May 17, 2019, 11:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Before some of you guys surround and attack me, hear me out on this...

I have never been a fan of subscription based gaming services and for years never had any inkling or interest in using them. However, when Anthem came out I wanted to get the game, but because of some of the negative reviews, was not really interested in shelling out $60 for it. I also saw that there was a new Star Wars RPG game on the horizon coming out later this year, so I knew that would also lead to at least another $60 outlay in funds, for a total of $120. I started looking into the premier subscription service, and saw that by subscribing for the year at a cost of $99, I would get early access to both these titles...and more. Ea has an ever growing vault of games, many of which are AAA new releases, as well as a lot of older games that have been on my steam wish-list for a long time. So, I figured, what the hell...I'll try it for a year and see how it goes.

So far, I'm surprised that it has been exceeding my expectations. Last night alone, I added Tropico 5 and Tropico 6, as well as They are Billions to my EA Origins game library...absolutely free of charge. I have also upgraded my Star Wars Battle Front, Titan Fall and Mass Effect games with all the DLC and premium content that has been released throughout the years...again, absolutely free of charge. I've been crossing games off my steam wish-list left and right, and feels great getting the chance to "own" and play these games without having to shell out money for them.  Yes, I paid the subscription fee, but it seems to be working out in my favor so far.

Not everything you'll want is in the vault yet, but I do receive weekly emails for the most part, advising me of new games that are being added. IF you're like me, someone who plays a lot of games, but doesn't necessarily stick with most over a long period of time, then this service may be worth a closer look for you.

As an aside, I have never had any issues with Origin of a technical nature and I find it to be a fairly straightforward and user friendly library management experience.

There are options to subscribe for less than a year, but the most value is in the full 12 month subscription.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

When your subscription ends, your access to everything on Origins also ends, right?

I wonder if this would pay off for a gamer like me who is the exact opposite of what you posted above - I stick with the same games for weeks/months at a time and do not buy a lot of new games.

I suppose it would pay off if I get 3-4 AAA titles in less than a year with the subscription.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

It's a simple case of maths.  You've proved you're making a saving, Jarhead, so there's really no problem.  I'd hate for gaming to move wholly to a subscription service, but that isn't likely, so...whatever!

Grim.Reaper

I have had this service since it was first released last year, no regrets at all.  If I would have purchased two games, basically pays for itself and I am not too worried that if I end the service my game access goes away.  In most cases, I don't play old games anyway and if I really like one of them that I want to own, simply will purchase during a sale.  Once my subscription is up again, will absolutely be doing it again...just hope they don't raise the prices every year:)

Gusington

Pfft BWAHAHA - you know they will be.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

That's a good strategy JH pointed out, If I played more AAA titles might be worth it.  In the past I used to buy all the Battlefield releases at day one.  Now I just wait 6months and get the Battlefield games 50% off and keep em for ever.

Gusington

I have finally learned to do that too. Mostly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd