Author Topic: Pax Nova - New space 4x  (Read 402 times)

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
Pax Nova - New space 4x
« on: May 09, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
Released today in early access...features space and ground combat with interesting unit design characteristics. Sort of has an Endless Space vibe to it...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/804850/Pax_Nova/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline FarAway Sooner

• Man-at-Arms
Re: Pax Nova - New space 4x
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »
Looks interesting.  One huge key to me in 4x games is the ability to customize different races/factions/countries in a way that lends itself to the story and also to a different play style. 

Lots of 4x games get the "different play style" piece right, but few manage to also hit the "story" side of things so well.  Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend both do a better job with that story-telling element, but I have struggled to get into many of the factions.  For too many 4x games, my choice of race ends up just becoming a choice of abstract bonuses.

I'd love to see this game get that part right.

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »
Pax Nova is definately on my watch list, but I won’t go near it in early access. Its made by the people who have botched a previous project rather badly if the webz are to be trusted, so beware.

Edit: it was this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/246940/Lords_of_the_Black_Sun/#app_reviews_hash
That got the fury of the internet over it. The lead guy of Grey Wolf (Pax Nova) was head of the group that made LotBS. Fitting abbreviation if I may believe the reviews! :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:30:58 AM by Yskonyn »
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
^Wow. good find. I still haven't forgotten about that one. Another 4x that had great potential.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Anguille

• Man-at-Arms
  • We are a part of the rhythm nation - 1814
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
Pax Nova is definately on my watch list, but I won’t go near it in early access. Its made by the people who have botched a previous project rather badly if the webz are to be trusted, so beware.

Edit: it was this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/246940/Lords_of_the_Black_Sun/#app_reviews_hash
That got the fury of the internet over it. The lead guy of Grey Wolf (Pax Nova) was head of the group that made LotBS. Fitting abbreviation if I may believe the reviews! :D
This is not forgotten but it's already fairly old news (i also posted a negative review). It was mentionned when Pax Nova was announced (there's a thread somewhere). The sequel, Dawn of Andromeda, while not the greatest game, is a lot better. They have been progressing a lot from game to game. I hope they nail it this time and i've got the feeling that this is going to be better than DoA. I think i'll get it in EA, you can't get wrong at that price imho.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:48:00 AM by Anguille »
My all time favorite games:
Master of Orion, Civil War II: Generals,  Armada 2526 Supernova, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Imperium Galactica I, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Master of Orion III, Spartan, Civilization III, Knights of Honor, Takeda 2 and 3, Horizon, Master of Orion Conquer the stars, Pandora: First Contact, Oriental Empires, Civilization: Beyond Earth and Civilization VI.

Favorite games by Haemimont:
Rising Kingdoms, Omerta: city of gangsters, Celtic Kings: Punic Wars, Glory of the Roman Empire, Imperium Romanum and Grand Ages: Rome

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
  • Aboard the Praetor's Pride
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »
Those past experiences are rather sobering but I'm going with my gut knee jerk reaction on this one and buying it.  I'll post my feedback once I get some time with the game. 
Forgive me my old friend.  But I must use all my experience...to get home.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:35:23 AM »
Was LotBS abandoned?
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.”

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:47:53 AM »
Was LotBS abandoned?

Abandoned? Of course not, that would be a Lot of BS!  :DD
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline Anguille

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
Was LotBS abandoned?
Fairly soon. Not a game i can recommend. Still many bugs. And it was, despite having some nice ideas, really bland.
Master of Orion, Civil War II: Generals,  Armada 2526 Supernova, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Imperium Galactica I, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Master of Orion III, Spartan, Civilization III, Knights of Honor, Takeda 2 and 3, Horizon, Master of Orion Conquer the stars, Pandora: First Contact, Oriental Empires, Civilization: Beyond Earth and Civilization VI.

Rising Kingdoms, Omerta: city of gangsters, Celtic Kings: Punic Wars, Glory of the Roman Empire, Imperium Romanum and Grand Ages: Rome

Offline Anguille

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »
Those past experiences are rather sobering but I'm going with my gut knee jerk reaction on this one and buying it.  I'll post my feedback once I get some time with the game.
I will get it as well but will be able to play it only in a week. Will give my impressions as soons as i have at least 10 hours in it.

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
  • Aboard the Praetor's Pride
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 07:32:45 AM »
Ok I have won my first game based off of a score victory.  Good news is you can continue playing the game normally even after you win.

I'm not going to get too deep explaining the game but I do like what they've done so far.  The only flaw with the game in it's current state is that colonizing other planets is broken/not working.  I probably won't be playing much more until they implement colonization.

What I do like about this game is that in theory you could have many colonies in the galaxy and not wholly own a single planet.  You start off on a planet that you share with other factions.  You could either spend your time and energy conquering your starting planet or you can concentrate on building up your tech and economy to start colonizing other planets.  In theory, if colonization was working, the ai could also plant cities on planets you have set up shop on.  Everyone can share the galaxy peacefully together and even live side by side on multiple planets.  Or you could purge the xenos in war without end.  This game is a dream of mine come true except you can't colonize. 

Hopefully this gets fixed otherwise I just blew $23 for nothing. 
Forgive me my old friend.  But I must use all my experience...to get home.