Author Topic: Might as well have a Wolfpack thread...?  (Read 698 times)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
Might as well have a Wolfpack thread...?
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »
I feel reasonably sure we talked about this game somewhere else, essentially a multiplayer version of one of the Silent Hunter games (but not needing VR like Ironwolf). But apparently it doesn't have its own thread yet??! ...is that unpossible?

Anyway. Here's Rimmy and several of his buddies taking the game out for a spin. (Warning: NSFW language occasionally. Occasionally very loud.)

FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Dammit Carl!

• Viking
Re: Might as well have a Wolfpack thread...?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 06:44:43 AM »
Lordy.  Looks like this would be fun with the right group and utter madness with the wrong group ("What do you mean you fired all of the torpedoes? We're still in port!").

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 07:31:35 AM »
Agreed. Finally we have these kind of games and nobody Horan to LANs anymore.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 07:58:25 AM »
Lordy.  Looks like this would be fun with the right group and utter madness with the wrong group ("What do you mean you fired all of the torpedoes? We're still in port!").

As demonstrated in the video, heh.

Could actually be used as a training example to demonstrate why there are rigorous checklists and chains of command in the military, especially on subs!
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Tripoli

• Viking
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
It actually looks like a lot of fun, but it would have to be with the right crew of friends.  With the wrong group (and it would only take one or two) it could be an awful experience. 

Offline Dammit Carl!

• Viking
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 09:22:58 AM »
"What's the valve to scuttle the boat?  Just curious."

Offline FarAway Sooner

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
Carl, my sense on WW II subs was that if you just started twisting and turning enough cranks and knobs, you'd automatically scuttle it in fairly short order!

I had no idea that wolf pack tactics were driven "out of vogue" by air power.  Concentration of subs just led to concentration of air power, which usually did more to sink U-boats than to sink shippping.  Of course, the fact that the Allies had HF/DF technology enabling them to clearly establish the locations of German subs was a major factor there, of which the Germans were largely oblivious.

Offline Skoop

• Viking
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
I'd probally rather the play the single player "uboat" game that's releasing soon.  Been in development for a while now.

Only question for the Wolfpack game is can you use an enigma to coordinate real wolfpacks with other subs?

Offline Dammit Carl!

• Viking
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 10:33:46 AM »
Yeah - seeing the inside of a UBoat, I could see me making so, so many cock-ups w/regards to what valves to use, etc.  My dumb ass would have been kicked off the boat and shipped to Russia in no time (if we lived long enough, that is).

Looking at their projected development roadmap, it looks pretty dang ambitious. 

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »
Oh my god this is basically PULSAR: First Colony, only on a submarine!!!  I NEED IT!!!