Author Topic: A Few Thoughts on Scotch  (Read 1942 times)

Offline jamus34

• Man-at-Arms
Re: A Few Thoughts on Scotch
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »
I've had Whistlepig a couple of times in the past...I'm really not a fan and has me hesitant to try rye's as everything I've heard that's a pretty good one.

Maybe I should give it another try. I've been turned off to most of American spirits due to my dislike of Daniels and Beam, so getting into Bourbon is relatively new for me.
Insert witty comment here.

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 04:03:56 PM »
Its funny, I was a scotch/bourbon guy for the longest time... now I am into aged rums. No reason, just kinda ended up here

We got a case of Mount Gay Black Barrell rum when we were in Barbados last time and gave almost all of it away.  Rum is just too sweet for our tastes.

If you like spiced rum I strongly, strongly urge you to try Four Square Spiced Rum.  It is the best tasting one out there, and it is also far less expensive than almost every other Spiced Rum.  In the USA the only problem is finding it.  You can get it in St. Thomas in the Caribbean and at Total Wine.

Dark and Stormy's are Ginger Beer (we use diet to eliminate the sugar) plus spiced rum.  Those are really good and about the only way I drink rum any longer.

If you ever go to Barbados, take the Mount Gay tour and sample their Planters Punch while you are there.

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2019, 04:05:46 PM »
Added a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr to my collection.

Ooh that's classy looking.  Nice colour, and 12 years is generally my sweet spot for value factored with taste (for a single malt).  Let us know how it is!

My wife picked up a couple of mini-bottles for us to try - and I did not care for it.  There was no peaty taste at all.  It was like a very smooth, tasteless whisky - which is not why I drink Scotch.

But at my retirement party a friend gave me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year old that was just amazing.

Offline al_infierno

• Equites
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
Great thread!

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on Glen Garioch?  A buddy of mine introduced me to a bottle of some 25-year stuff that was just incredible.  It's been my go-to ever since, albeit I generally go for cheaper variants ;)
"Don't quote me boy, 'cause I ain't said shit."  -- Eazy-E

Offline Barthheart

• Order of the Square Button
  • Arquebusier
  • Looking for walkie-talkies in 1809.....
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
I've had Whistlepig a couple of times in the past...I'm really not a fan and has me hesitant to try rye's as everything I've heard that's a pretty good one.

Maybe I should give it another try. I've been turned off to most of American spirits due to my dislike of Daniels and Beam, so getting into Bourbon is relatively new for me.

Canadian Club Rye is really quite good and not too expensive... at least up here.
https://www.canadianclub.com/

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

I'm not a drunk, I'm just Canadian - Shawn Germain

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2019, 08:59:59 PM »
I drink Bourbon mostly and my wife likes Rum. Bacardi and Jim Beam have been our go to liquors for a while but now I drink Kentucky Gentleman bourbon and Ronrico rum. They're much cheaper and just as good in my book.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline jamus34

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2019, 07:34:17 AM »
Added a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr to my collection.

Ooh that's classy looking.  Nice colour, and 12 years is generally my sweet spot for value factored with taste (for a single malt).  Let us know how it is!

My wife picked up a couple of mini-bottles for us to try - and I did not care for it.  There was no peaty taste at all.  It was like a very smooth, tasteless whisky - which is not why I drink Scotch.

But at my retirement party a friend gave me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year old that was just amazing.

Oh I could have told you that. I have been told it's a good bridge scotch for whisky drinkers who aren't used to the peat.

Funny that 3 of my favorite distillers are literally right next to each other (Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin) which are probably three of the more peatier scotches you can get.

Personally I'm not that big of a fan of Macallan.

Also if your not too snobbish to enjoy a good blend Monkey Shoulder is worth your money (mix of Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvie; at least historically, not sure if they've changed that blend)
Insert witty comment here.