Author Topic: Best Single Player  (Read 856 times)

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
Best Single Player
« on: March 13, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
I know I may well have asked this before, but I'm in the market for another single player game.

Criteria is
  • Counters
  • Single Player
  • Modern Warfare (post 1950)
  • Can be card based instead of die (ala Combat Commander)
  • Needs to have been made in the last 5-10 years (for quality of counters, maps etc)
  • Platoon/Company size
I AM the Law

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
Re: Best Single Player
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »
Nice...look forward to responses.  :notworthy:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline stolypin

• Velites
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
Don't think it's in print anymore but for a modern solitaire game, Phantom Fury by Nuts Publishing is a good one in my opinion.

Also enjoy DVG's Phantom Leader, Hornet Leader, and Apache Leader. 

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:44:57 AM »
I have Phantom, Hornet and Apache Leader - all good games  O0
I AM the Law

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 06:56:24 AM »
Does anyone have/played Holland '44?
I AM the Law

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 07:37:36 AM »
I'm getting Holland '44. I know it doesn't meet my criteria, but it's got beautiful components, a cracking map and it's a great battle.
I AM the Law

Offline ComradeP

• Viking
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:00 AM »
It indeed doesn't meet your criteria, but it's a great game.

The upcoming mounted map features a slightly different map I believe with a correction here and there. The current map is good as well, of course. I've played it using VASSAL mostly for convenience reasons as I don't have a lot of space to place the map board and keep it there for a while.

The upcoming Stalingrad '42 will be really nice as well, though due to the Russian terrain the map might look a bit bland compared to European maps.

I haven't looked at the updated Ardennes '44 yet.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »
GMT's MBT series is a hoot...  Two player, but nothing in the sequence that means solitaire doesn't work.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-478-mbt.aspx

As a plus...there is even a vassal module.

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »
Phantom Fury was my first idea.

I've always wanted to try Fields of Fire.  I have no idea how it plays, but it sounds neat and has great reviews.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 05:00:53 PM »
GMT's MBT series is a hoot...  Two player, but nothing in the sequence that means solitaire doesn't work.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-478-mbt.aspx

As a plus...there is even a vassal module.
I had MBT many, many years ago - it may even be up in the loft.

Phantom Fury was my first idea.

I've always wanted to try Fields of Fire.  I have no idea how it plays, but it sounds neat and has great reviews.
Someone recommended Fields of Fire but I would specifically like a map...the card terrain system looks like it offers alot of variety, but it's not my bag really.
I AM the Law

Offline Ubercat

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »
Does anyone have/played Holland '44?

I think you'll like it.

I have it but plan on selling it at the auction store at WBC this July. I simply don't have the focus to learn the rules well enough to give it a good play through. My old brain isn't as sharp as it was when I was 15 and would read the hell out of rule books. I've prioritized other series rules like BCS, OCS, and ASLSK. I liked what I read of the Holland '44 rules and did start the first turn of the campaign but gave up after getting confused by something or other.
Numbers 31:17-18
"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Psalm 137:9
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 02:25:02 AM »
DVG’s Leader and Warfighter series are quite enjoyable. Warfighter especially with a mate and a pint.

MBT is very cool as well solo.

Wing Leader is fun to play solo as well.

Congrats on Holland ‘44. Looks like a cool game.
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline MikeGER

• Condottieri
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 05:29:44 AM »
I'm getting Holland '44. I know it doesn't meet my criteria, but it's got beautiful components, a cracking map and it's a great battle.

i remember you always wanted "Where there is discord" that Falkland game
ok, its high price from the start and becoming a collectors item doesn't made it cheaper

but isn't it a good idea to follow a dream once a while, and give in to an old wish and give yourself a deserved treat

when i checked last year shortly before the Spiel in Essen started, a brick and mortar store there local in Essen https://www.fanen.com/index.html (and with a booth on the fair of course) still had one item in storage, but for a whooping 250€ new.

(but that's the price without any bartering and its on their shelf since years so there is a chance they might give in to a bartering offer. when i casual talked with them about that game at the fair, they made an offer to fetch it from the storage for me in some hours wait and they reduced the price a bit… so there is wiggling room)

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
Oh and Gary's Carrier package might be interesting! Forgot to mention that one.
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »

i remember you always wanted "Where there is discord" that Falkland game
ok, its high price from the start and becoming a collectors item doesn't made it cheaper

but isn't it a good idea to follow a dream once a while, and give in to an old wish and give yourself a deserved treat

when i checked last year shortly before the Spiel in Essen started, a brick and mortar store there local in Essen https://www.fanen.com/index.html (and with a booth on the fair of course) still had one item in storage, but for a whooping 250€ new.

(but that's the price without any bartering and its on their shelf since years so there is a chance they might give in to a bartering offer. when i casual talked with them about that game at the fair, they made an offer to fetch it from the storage for me in some hours wait and they reduced the price a bit… so there is wiggling room)
No...to follow a dream. Not at the price it's going for. I've got a couple of Falkland games and they'll do me until the price for Where There Is Discord gets reasonable. If never, then so be it.

I can't justify the price people are asking for that boardgame. Not just can't, but won't. I don't want it that much
I AM the Law