Author Topic: Warthog flight stick?  (Read 348 times)

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
Warthog flight stick?
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
Noticed at Walmart only $196...believe lot cheaper than seen before.  My question is it doesnít come with throttles.  Do you need the warthog throttles or does other less expensive throttles work with it?  It would be hard for me to spend nearly $500 for both of them right now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Flight-Stick/27537234

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
Re: Warthog flight stick?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:33:27 AM »
Guess I should have asked too, is the stick worth $200?  Or better out there?

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
I bought the Warthog - it's splendid indeed. I paid £350 for the stick and throttle. Cost me another £100 for a set of pedals for rudder!.

Stick is well worth the money. The difference between that and my X52 Pro is night and day.

As for the throttle, I imagine you can use it with a different throttle because they aren't "connected". Both the stick and the throttle connect to the PC using USB and don't connect to each other like the X52 throttle and stick.
I AM the Law

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:58:09 AM »
The stick is nice and sturdy. If its worth the upgrade without the throttle is depending on what you have right now.
On the other hand you could see it as the part 1 of the upgrade if you plan on getting the throttle later. :)
In general its been the very best hotas I have ever used and mine is getting old; almost 9 years old now and still going strong.

The only thing I am about to change on the throttle is the mouse nib axis thingy. It was always functional, but very twitchy and a guy under the flag of Delta Sim Electronics (UK based) made an easy to install replacement 4 way switch that I've ordered and just received.
( www.deltasimelectronics.com/pages/install-instructions )
Other than that the HOTAS has been super solid.
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »
I just posted about this in the DCS thread. I saw the warthog stock and throttle on the shelf at a local store and bought it on impulse with the cougar MFDs. I thought the x55 rhino I was using was pretty good...until I got the hog. Iíve been seriously fighting the controls and didnít know just how bad I had it until I upgraded. Worth...every...penny.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:57:51 PM by Jarhead0331 »
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Skoop

• Viking
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
I felt the same way going from a saitek to a wharthog.  It was great, but I used it so much my buttons failed and had to be replaced.  When I opened the metal exterior, I was surprised how cheap the parts were.  So I went to a VKB gunfighter with extension.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:15:16 PM by Skoop »

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
I felt the same way going from a saitek to a wharthog.  It was great, but I used it so much my buttons failed and had to be replaced.  When I opened the metal exterior, I was surprised how cheap the parts where.  So I went to a VKB gunfighter with extension.

Are you saying the warthog was cheap parts or the saitek?

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:28:08 AM »
Unfortunately while the grip and base of the Warthog is made of metal parts, the ball joint and armature is made of plastic.
Some people believe this should never have been allowed considering the price.
Thereís also a big thing on the internet about Ďstrictioní of the stick which is identified to being a result of the joint being plastic and lubrication being sub par, at least by the crowd concerned about stiction.

Iíve never experienced any on my stick though.
Iíve also never had a button fail on me in 9 years.
Perhaps the initial batches were less cheaply made or the issues are magnified by a disgruntled crowd, I donít know.

What I do know is that VirPil and VKB make top notch peripherals as well, but they are a little more expensive especially if you take shipping into consideration.

The Warthog HOTAS is the most solid commonly found piece of kit, trust us. :)
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth