Author Topic: Mars Opportunity rover  (Read 319 times)

Offline steve58

• Condottieri
Mars Opportunity rover
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:42:38 PM »
On a positive note, kudos to the engineers who keep designing/making these rovers that are rated in months lifespan and yet survive for years.  :notworthy:

NASA has finally plugged the plug on its Mars Opportunity rover, which has been silent on the Red Planet’s surface for eight months.

"I declare the Opportunity mission is complete," said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of NASA's Science Mission Directorate during a press conference on Wednesday. "I have to tell you, this is an emotional time," he added.

The rover reached Mars in 2004, but NASA lost contact with the vehicle last year following an epic dust storm that enveloped the red planet and prevented sunlight from reaching its surface. The last signal received from the $400 million solar-powered rover was on June 10, 2018.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/mars-opportunity-rover-is-dead-nasa-confirms
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell

If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you’re probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time.   Mike Adams

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
Re: Mars Opportunity rover
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:31:51 PM »
R.I.P. Rover. Both of you.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:48:29 PM »
It was an amazing life. The rovers were only supposed to last a few months but there are kids who were born after the rovers' landing that are now studying robotics in high school. For them there had always been a rover on Mars.
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:54:49 PM »
F for the rovers.

F

F

....I don't know what that means, but internet kids like to do this now, so.
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »
It was a great achievement. I heard they were looking for Hoffa up there. Anybody else hear that?  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:58:18 AM »
It was a great achievement. I heard they were looking for Hoffa up there. Anybody else hear that?  :idiot2:

No, so it means they must have found him. Maybe Judge Crater as well...
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 06:57:58 AM »
They must be in the icebox with Elvis waiting to make a come back.  ::)