Author Topic: A question of reading vs saving  (Read 135 times)

Online Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
A question of reading vs saving
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »
'sup Grogheads family.

Here's the deal.  About 6 months ago I finally acquired my deceased father's book collection from my mom's house and brought them with me to my latest house.  I have them unpacked and in a temporary bookcase pending final disposition of the man cave.

They're in 3 sets; about 25 Harvard Classics, 10-15 International Collections Library, and 10 of some library I can't determine.  The first two, Harvard Classics and International Collections are bound in a hardback "paper" binding, while the unknown is some sort of linen or fabric binding.

The problem is this: the Harvard and International bindings physically break if I open the books.  The bindings appear to be paper-based and are so old and dried out that the binding will crack completely where the covers meet the back spine.  The unknown fabric collection doesn't seem to suffer from this.  I've previously, over the years, opened about 1/5 of the books before I stopped when I realized they were breaking and I might not want to destroy them all.

My options, as best I can tell are as follows:  I can use some packing tape or other clear tape, and both mend the bindings that are broken and proactively protect those that are unbroken.  Then I can read these classic books as intended, and I do want to read them.

Or, I could repair the broken ones, and then treat the remainder as "bookshelf books" to be admired as a beautiful collection, but not to be read because to open them is to break them.

I saw a handful of similar books, but sized slightly differently, at $7.95 apiece at a local used bookstore, so we're not talking a lot of money.  Rather, it's the sentimental value of the books themselves. 

Part of me thinks, books are meant to be read.  Another part thinks, as one of the few remaining items of my dad's that I have, I should simply preserve them in as nice condition as possible, and get the books on Kindle or such since most are free as public domain anyway at this point.

Just curious where you guys stand...tape and read, or nostalgic shelf collection?  If they were you're books, what would you want your son to do?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
Re: A question of reading vs saving
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »
If you can read them for cheap or free anyway, by other methods, then their physical value must be as momentos or decoration.

Alternately, you can ship them off to a rebinder, who can restore or recreate the binding. Recreating the binding will reduce its collector's value of course, and cost significantly more than buying readable copies for practical usage. But it would make the legacy books themselves readable in a way that preserves their inherent visual style; and you might decide this honors your father's memory more directly.

I wish I could tell you the name of the rebinder I myself used in Oklahoma (OKCity itself if I recall correctly). They did a wonderful job recreating the binding style on a disbound set of quires I had bought, of a book published in Britain just before the American Revolution and evidently read by someone who fought during that time since there appear to be bloodstains on the pages! (The book's original authorship dates back to the late Cromwell period, so this is a 3rd or maybe 4th edition reprint.)
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »
I bought the entire Harvard Classics on sale on Kindle for less than $8. 

My parents had the entire collection but I passed on them due to allergies more than a decade ago.

I realize this is not what you are looking for, but if you wish to read them you can easily do so electronically.

Online Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:34:20 PM »
I didn't know you can get books rebound.  I'll have to look into that; I would like the books to last another lifetime.

Thanks for the heads up, Airboy.  I searched and found the complete 51 volume set of the Harvard Classics, plus the Fiction bookshelf for a mere $0.49 on Amazon!  That's a LOT of reading!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075GWV4W3/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
Nerd!
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 10:23:31 AM »
Alternately, you can ship them off to a rebinder, who can restore or recreate the binding. Recreating the binding will reduce its collector's value of course, and cost significantly more than buying readable copies for practical usage. But it would make the legacy books themselves readable in a way that preserves their inherent visual style; and you might decide this honors your father's memory more directly.

+1, I have seen some really wonderful rebinds. 
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne