Author Topic: A question for your D&D'ers - playing some D&D solo. Need party composition help  (Read 93 times)

Offline acctingman

• Viking
I haven't played D&D since the old AD&D days. I'm trying to play through a crap ton of 5th ED D&D modules (solo...no DM, no other players). I'm going to read through the modules and play out all the encounters on the table using some paper minis and a boat load of those Pazio dungeon tiles.

So, my question is.....what's a good 6 party combination these days (mind you....not roll playing, problem solving here...this is straight out plain combat only)? I know enough about the classes but it's been so long, I'm not sure what an optimal 6 class party would be. 1 party member will be a rouge.

Are Rangers viable for a ranged dps class? How good are Monks or Barbarians? I can't see either being a main tank. How valuable are Bards? For what I'm trying to accomplish should I go straight Wizard over a Sorcerer?

Appreciate any comments you D&D'ers might have.

Offline MetalDog

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
  • Central Scrutinizer
1st level is survivable for all classes now.  3rd level is when a lot of the good stuff starts for each class.  I don't have experience with all of the classes, but, I do with Ranger, Sorcerer, Rogue, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Bard.  I am writing up a Warlock NPC for our new campaign.  I like what I see so far. 

For the spell casting classes, the most important change is how spells are accessed.  You have Cantrips Known, Spells Known and Spell Slots.  Spells Known keeps your spell inventory to a manageable level and Spell Slots allow you the flexibility of choosing which of your known spells to cast without having to declare ahead of time which spells you have memorized.  For instance, Your 1st Level Wizard knows Magic Missile and Sleep.  He has one 1st Level Spell Slot.  He can choose between the two he knows when it is time to cast a spell instead of having to have one or the other memorized in advance.

Armor Class makes sense now.  It goes from 0 to 20+, with 0 being the worst and 20 (or above) being nigh impregnable.  To Hit still uses a d20. 

There's a whole bunch of stuff I like about 5e.  And like you, I have gone from AD&D to 5e.  So, enjoy learning the new system.  And go find a game store with a dedicated D&D group!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob