Author Topic: RAF Eagle !  (Read 729 times)

Offline MikeGER

• Condottieri
RAF Eagle !
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:51:45 AM »
look what was in the mail today  :)

now i have find time to testsplay it... :dreamer:

ordered it here, and delivery was quit fast 
https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2110
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:08:54 AM by MikeGER »

Offline stolypin

• Velites
Re: RAF Eagle !
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »
Thanks for posting.  I wasn't aware that there was a computer version.

I played the board version a few years ago and though I enjoyed the game, I found the rules difficult. 

Offline bob48

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:43:54 AM »
Be interested to hear what you think of it, Mike.  O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Offline rocketman

• Velites
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:25 AM »
Interested too. I have bought a couple of games in the D-day series and can't say I have been all that happy about the quality of the games.

Offline MikeGER

• Condottieri
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
This thread about Eagle is the sibling of that Lion related thread

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=18264.msg482338#msg482338

Offline Phantom

• Equites
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
Review (of Lion) on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1590067/quick-review-raflion-pc

I have the original RAF game which I have enjoyed playing (equivalent of Lion I guess) - for the price this looks well worth a try. I see there are both Lion & Eagle versions available. Lower down the above thread it does refer to some advanced features that are omitted from the PC version, but they don't seem to be deal breakers to me.

***Does anyone know why DG don't do their PC games as digital download? - for the UK postage is as much as the game (or a lot more if tracked)***
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:07:26 AM by Phantom »

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 02:52:50 PM »
Do they do downloads?

Offline demjansk1942

• Velites
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
I know, a digital download, I would have bought already, now will wait and move onto something else

Online JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
The weird thing is that they do in fact do digital games! -- some exclusively for Mac, some only for PC, some for both -- and all I think for iOS?

https://shop.decisiongames.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=110

So it isn't as though they can't or simply don't want to do digital distribution games. But they don't do some of their games through digital distribution. (So that you can pay $450 for War in the Pacific, for example.  >:D )

Edited to add: my brain even seems to think they have a few games on Steam, though I'm not sure...

Ah, yep, Hexwar has adapted several for Steam distribution.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:41:33 PM by JasonPratt »
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
I think they do allow downloads, although not advertised....I asked their support last year when I was considering buying and this is what they told me:

If you have an account with our website, I can set the product order up and send you a link to update the payment information. I would only need to know which games you would like to purchase. All of our computer games can be sent as a download.

So worth a shot if you want the game.....

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 09:00:28 PM »
I think they do allow downloads, although not advertised....I asked their support last year when I was considering buying and this is what they told me:

If you have an account with our website, I can set the product order up and send you a link to update the payment information. I would only need to know which games you would like to purchase. All of our computer games can be sent as a download.

So worth a shot if you want the game.....

Good to know, my latest PC doesn't even have a DVD drive
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline demjansk1942

• Velites
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 04:04:30 AM »
I know a lot of gamers who have new machines don't even bother having a DVD player in the machine.

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 09:04:21 AM »
That's so old skool, Mike!   :nerd:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline DoctorQuest

• Man-at-Arms
  • I'm not a real doctor.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
I know a lot of gamers who have new machines don't even bother having a DVD player in the machine.

I understand this for laptops. My work laptop does not have an optical drive of any sort. I'm not so sure for a desktop...... I would really prefer to have one in that type of rig.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Offline Ubercat

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »
I was surprised when my new gaming rig didn't include a DVD drive. I assumed it as standard and failed to notice it's absence in the specs! Well, my last box was 9 years old so that explains my old man assumptions. I just bought an external drive from Office Depot for the rare occasions when I need one.

Decision Games is at WBC every year. I see their CD's and spend the week thinking about buying one of their PC games but never do. I picture an interface from 20 years ago (don't know if that's at all accurate) and end up passing every time.
Numbers 31:17-18
"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Psalm 137:9
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."