Author Topic: Ageod changes  (Read 922 times)

Offline WallysWorld

• Viking
Ageod changes
« on: September 05, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
Just found out that Philippe left the Ageod team back in April which was a bit of a shock considering he was with the team since the beginning. Pocus is still with the team and alongside him the McNeils from Slitherine are listed as officers of Ageod.

Phillipe was quite active on the Ageod forum so he'll be missed.

Ageod changes

Pocus also posted that they expect to announce the new engine sometime in September: "Probably in late September, we have our annual convention 'Hall of Wargamers 2018' in mid-September, then I believe the communiqué will be issued."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:41:39 AM by WallysWorld »
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what's *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Offline Anguille

• Man-at-Arms
  • Hopeless romantic
Re: Ageod changes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
And i thought that Philippe was Ageod...(with Pocus of course)  :(
My all time favorite games:
Master of Orion, Civil War II: Generals,  Armada 2526 Supernova, Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Imperium Galactica I, Conquest: Frontier Wars, Master of Orion III, Spartan, Civilization III, Knights of Honor, Takeda 2 and 3, Horizon, Master of Orion Conquer the stars.

Favorite games by Haemimont:
Rising Kingdoms, Omerta: city of gangsters, Celtic Kings: Punic Wars, Glory of the Roman Empire, Imperium Romanum and Grand Ages: Rome

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:09:32 AM »
Oh bummer.  I hope AGEOD continues to develop good games even though Philippe is gone.  They definitely need to publish a new engine.

Offline Philippe

• Viking
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »
A new engine would be nice, but what they really need are some tighter procedures for QA and a better method of game support after release.

Under the current system map errors are very likely to creep into games before beta, and screaming and yelling by testers doesn't seem to make much difference (the graphics budget has a habit of being exhausted before you can get around to figuring out what needs to be fixed).

The use of sub-contractors has attracted great talent, and they've done some amazing work. 

At a guess, the way the contracts and sub-contracts are written seems to force a lot of things to fall between the cracks, and administrative constraints have probably make it harder to get things fixed.  Part of the fault may lie with an over-zealous legal department, but I detect the fingerprints of a large, creaky organziation.  It's not enough to invoke the old saw about never letting lawyers make business decisions.  Somebody outlined the terms of those sub-contracts before the lawyers drafted them.

On its own, Ageod probably could have resolved these issues, but I suspect that the Matrix umbrella has added fuel to the fire.  Let's hope that Philippe finds a way of channeling his vision into a new computer game company when he gets tired of turning out board games. 
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
^Sad to hear but in all business these days the lawyers and the shareholders seem to dictate business direction. 

I agree, let's hope Philippe starts another company and is successful. 

Offline WYBaugh

• Equites
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »
A new engine would be nice, but what they really need are some tighter procedures for QA and a better method of game support after release.

Under the current system map errors are very likely to creep into games before beta, and screaming and yelling by testers doesn't seem to make much difference (the graphics budget has a habit of being exhausted before you can get around to figuring out what needs to be fixed).

The use of sub-contractors has attracted great talent, and they've done some amazing work. 

At a guess, the way the contracts and sub-contracts are written seems to force a lot of things to fall between the cracks, and administrative constraints have probably make it harder to get things fixed.  Part of the fault may lie with an over-zealous legal department, but I detect the fingerprints of a large, creaky organziation.  It's not enough to invoke the old saw about never letting lawyers make business decisions.  Somebody outlined the terms of those sub-contracts before the lawyers drafted them.

On its own, Ageod probably could have resolved these issues, but I suspect that the Matrix umbrella has added fuel to the fire.  Let's hope that Philippe finds a way of channeling his vision into a new computer game company when he gets tired of turning out board games.

I always thought you were Philippe from Ageod!

Offline Philippe

• Viking
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »
I'm pretty crazy but I don't tend to talk about myself in the third person (unlike Julius Caesar).

My name can get pretty confusing when hanging around Ageod, because Pocus' real name is Philippe too.

Offline bobarossa

• Viking
  • Master of Oreos
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 08:09:51 AM »
I'm pretty crazy but I don't tend to talk about myself in the third person (unlike Julius Caesar).

My name can get pretty confusing when hanging around Ageod, because Pocus' real name is Philippe too.
You could change your name to Phillistine! 

And I briefly thought you were from AGEOD when I first saw your posts.

Offline Philippe

• Viking
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 08:37:48 AM »
I'm frequently asked if I'm an artist when I show up at openings with my artist girlfriend, and I always used to say that I was a philistine.  But I try not to do it any more to keep peace in the home.

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
Wait, so Philippe isn't Philippe?  Oh man, it's too early for this...   #:-)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline Philippe

• Viking
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
Philippe is Philippe, just not that Philippe.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
I didn’t want to be the first one to admit it, but I thought the same thing!
"I have to say, it sure does look like somewhere I would really, really like.  Except for the cold of course.  But, I'll bet I could adapt to that. ”

- Toonces, The Arctic Wonder Commander

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
Don't feel bad. I thought Ageod was some guy's name. Maybe Philippe's brother.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
Johnny Ageod?
"I have to say, it sure does look like somewhere I would really, really like.  Except for the cold of course.  But, I'll bet I could adapt to that. ”

- Toonces, The Arctic Wonder Commander

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »
I was thinking 'Jacque' since it's French. Or 'Bertrand' perhaps.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.