Author Topic: Gameboard Scans  (Read 190 times)

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
Gameboard Scans
« on: July 29, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
I am interested in "digitizing" several of my games on vassal.  Game that do not have vassal modules now.

I need a solution to scanning the board...mostly paper ones.

Does anyone have experience with document - ie. camera based "scanners"?  Such as:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M83344/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B074M83344&pd_rd_wg=1HPpz&pd_rd_r=MEJKHK237ER6ANWD83SV&pd_rd_w=jNyL3

If so, any recommendations?

I have tried scanning paper boards with a flatbed scanner.  The results have been marginal.  I have been able to tediously reconstruct the board in the image manipulation program: GIMP, but I can't say I really like it. 

I also tried a large feed scanner at the Fedex store.  Not only did it cost an arm and a leg, but the feed was not consistent and some of the hexes are slightly misshapen; with hundreds of hexes, it really throws the entire board off fast. 

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne