Author Topic: Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients  (Read 467 times)

Offline Millipede

• Equites
Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »
I see Hegemony III available on GOG for $7.49 and I'm tempted. Any of you have comments, suggestions etc?

Offline Nefaro

• Arquebusier
Re: Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 04:37:54 AM »
I still haven't played much yet, but if you liked the first one it gave a similar impression.  Although with a little more variety.

Offline Millipede

• Equites
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:23:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply Nefaro. I haven't played any version of Hegemony but it seemed kind of interesting and I wondered if it was worth $7.49 to find out if it offered anything original.

Offline sandman2575

• Man-at-Arms
  • Poet Warrior in the Classical Sense...
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
Very definitely worth $7.49; worth twice that without question.

The Hegemony games are sadly underrated, and Hegemony III is the best of the series, IMO. I have not poured a ton of hours into it, but it's a marvelous game. Love the completely fluid transition between the strategic and tactical layers. Love the overall visual style. It may play a little fast for my aging reflexes, but not impossibly so (also I think there is a mod that nerfs raiders).

Anyway, definitely pick it up if you're at all intrigued by the period and the way the game represents it. I don't think you'll regret it -- esp. at the give-away price of $7.49.

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 08:31:58 PM »
Very definitely worth $7.49; worth twice that without question.

The Hegemony games are sadly underrated, and Hegemony III is the best of the series, IMO. I have not poured a ton of hours into it, but it's a marvelous game. Love the completely fluid transition between the strategic and tactical layers. Love the overall visual style. It may play a little fast for my aging reflexes, but not impossibly so (also I think there is a mod that nerfs raiders).

Anyway, definitely pick it up if you're at all intrigued by the period and the way the game represents it. I don't think you'll regret it -- esp. at the give-away price of $7.49.
++++

I enjoy the Hegemony games a great deal.  For me they are best savored...not as mad RTS games...hitting the pause button generously to soak it all in...  They are pretty tied to history.  Some real history lessons in there for $7
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline Millipede

• Equites
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
Okay, you've convinced me. Just downloaded but not sure when I'll actually start playing... hopefully tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the comments.

Offline WargamerJoe

• Equites
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 03:33:20 AM »
I would add on a recommendation to pick the the 'Eagle King' DLC if it's also going cheap - it adds some cool features and campaigns to the game and rounds it out a bit.

But yes, H3 is a fun (if paced) logistics-based wargame.
Editor-in-Chief
Network N

www.wargamer.com
www.pockettactics.com
www.strategygamer.com

"Determining the appropriate level of interference in somebody else's war is never a simple matter." - Special Circumstances