Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 550973 times)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #5115 on: July 05, 2020, 03:47:15 PM »
Got through Churchill's two chapters on the rise of Lenin and Bolshevism, in The Aftermath this weekend.

I had been a little puzzled why he hadn't said much about them yet, even in his extended commentary addendum on The Eastern Front volume; but I finally realized that Churchill had decided to focus on what happened with Russia during the War -- thus also explaining why his East Front volume just sharply stops upon the fall of the Czar.

The Aftermath really backfills some details for the final couple years of the war, including what was happening in Russia from March 1917 (when the revolutions started) onward.

Currently I'm on the chapter about Wilson and the Fourteen Points.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in chronological order. Lots and lots of order...

Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #5116 on: July 05, 2020, 06:31:09 PM »
Just started The Pope and Mussolini - The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe by David Kertzer.

Pius XI died before the start of WW2.  Pius XII was the wartime Pope.  His papers were scheduled to be unsealed in March, 2020 - but I don't know if the plague changed that timetable.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #5117 on: July 05, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »
Right, this is the story of the relationship between Pius XI and the rise of Mussolini's fascist Italy, from 1920 through the 1930s.
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Online Toonces

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #5118 on: July 06, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
I really liked Dan Jones' Wars of the Roses.  I found it much easier to follow than Alison Weir's version.  I was bummed, though, that it ended with little baby Henry VIII...he's the best part!  Although, I get it, the wars were over at that point, but still.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

"The less I hear, the less you say." - Linkin Park