Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 453113 times)

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #4785 on: July 19, 2019, 05:39:52 PM »
^Have Dividing the Spoils in my Amazon shopping cart. Need to read that soon.
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.”

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #4786 on: July 30, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »
Continuing my ancient reading marathon I have begun Harry Sidebottom’s third (of six) Warrior of Rome book. Fifty pages in and the writing is even better than the first two, which is saying something.
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.”

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline DoctorQuest

• Condottieri
  • I'm not a real doctor.
« Reply #4787 on: July 30, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
I found a number of the original Fleming Bond ebooks on Amazon for 99 cents. Been working through "Dr. No", "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball".

Great adventure fare if a bit dated. I read the hell out of these books in my youth. They are as good as I remember. The sad part is that Fleming did his best to live like Bond and ended up dead at 56. Getting away with heavy drinking and smoking is really the stuff of fiction, unfortunately.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #4788 on: July 30, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
I decided to take the plunge on David Glantz' Stalingrad Series:

Starting with "To the Gates of Stalingrad"

Very well written for such a dense (in a good way) treatment of the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0700616306/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline solops

• Viking
  • Woof!
« Reply #4789 on: July 31, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »
Just got a GREAT new book "The Complete Guide To German Armored Vehicles" by David Doyle. Cheap, only $26 on Amazon.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #4790 on: August 13, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
Raise the Titanic by Clive Cussler, about the 10th time I've read it.  It didn't quite hold up as well as I had hoped...I had to sort of dumb my brain down to that of 18 year old Toonces and try to just go with the flow.

Best read at the peak of the Cold War. Doesn't hold up well but still a decent Cussler book - it's what got me into his books. The movie is even worse as far as holding up, but there IS something about that scene where Titanic is pulled in to New York.

Offline Bardolph

• Equites
« Reply #4791 on: August 13, 2019, 01:34:24 PM »
The comments on Blackhawk Down led to me finding this:

http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/nov16/default16.asp

I've read the book and watched the movie but this is the original multi-media format. Shame most of the video clips are broken.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:37:40 PM by Bardolph »