Author Topic: The road ahead  (Read 137 times)

Offline Andy ONeill

• Equites
The road ahead
« on: May 17, 2018, 02:02:38 AM »
Current guess for working game delivery:
December.

As I write, I'm working on the Map Editor.
This still has a fair bit of work to do on it.
That'll take in the order of a month.

The other editors still need more work.
There are also other bits and pieces like the menu and installers.

Then there is the actual game.
If you've been following the changelog you'll have noticed absolutely no mention of this.
There's a simple reason for that - I've not started  it yet.

The game will share a fair bit of code that's already written but there's still going to be several months of work for me to do on that.
As this progresses it's likely that we'll reconsider some aspects of what's already been written.
Ezra or I think of a better way of doing something or I find something turns out to be less practical than expected.
This is the nature of "agile" development.

Parallel to this Ezra will be working on the AI.
Once we agree the map, army and scenario editors are stable, he will be working on scenarios.
Ed (he's an expert gaming artist) will be doing the map graphics.

An initial version will be delivered to backers with manual save transfer and load pbem functionality.
Steam integration, a more sophisticated pbem mechanism and a website will follow.
There will likely also be added functionality such as more shapers, buildings, trees etc.

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
Re: The road ahead
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 03:15:59 AM »
I have no idea what game this is pertaining to  ???
I AM the Law

Offline Pete Dero

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:46:04 AM »
I have no idea what game this is pertaining to  ???

Posted in the General Staff forum.

This is the game : http://general-staff.com/

Offline bbmike

• Crossbowman
    • AAR Central
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:11:26 AM »
Yes, look through this sub-forum for more information. Really interesting looking game so far.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

Offline Adraeth

• Hoplite
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:31:05 AM »
Excellent, i am happy there is a parallel work on the AI from Ezra and yours for engine and editors. Take your time and we will have an excellent kriegspiel  O0

Offline Andy ONeill

• Equites
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »
Ezra and I have been discussing how to improve "drawing" elevation.
Smoothing out contour based slopes without taking forever (writing or running)
I think I have a way to do improve contour handling and tick both those boxes along with another.

If you've watched Ezra's videos or used the original prototype map editor you are probably familiar with the concept of drawing a greyscale background and importing this for elevations.
This is a good method because it's simple and a gaussian blur gives you smoothed out slopes.
Simple and practical are huge plusses.
So long as you're OK with photoshop or some similar package then you can use a gradient for gradual slopes and get pretty good results fairly easily.
Those users who don't have photoshop could use Paint.Net with a gaussian blur plug in ( free ).

The downside is the learning curve for those users who don't use such graphics software.

Reproducing photshop would be way too much work and even if I did then the learning curve moves from photoshop to generalstaff.
Clearly not a viable route.

Some sort of a simpler compromise option looks to be fairly easy to implement though.
There is already a way to draw contours.

The (outline ) plan is to translate those contours to a greyscale picture.
Using an approach similar to how I do elevation colours.
Run a gaussian blur over the whole image.
Then translate this to elevations in a similar way to the import.
That way anyone can do a few hills and valleys reasonably easily.
If you want more then you use the shapers ( more about these later ) or look into "proper" drawing software.

And of course.
If drawing contours sounds a bit like hard work then you can still download real wold elevation data or just buy a scenario.