Modern Global Strategy Games - What's Available?

Started by Ian C, April 30, 2018, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

I got a hankering for some modern global strategy. Is there anything out there I'm not aware of? Something like Hearts of Iron or Superpower. Air, land sea forces, running a nation, etc. Thanks.

Jarhead0331

Supreme Ruler series? Geopolitical Simulator? Both series are hard to recommend though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

I only played the original Supreme Ruler, but from what Ive seen of the newer ones, the developer has never done anything to really improve the game.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on April 30, 2018, 02:40:52 PM
I only played the original Supreme Ruler, but from what Ive seen of the newer ones, the developer has never done anything to really improve the game.

Battlegoat will deny this, but it has been my experience as well. The games in the series either broaden or narrow the focus of the game in one particular era, but otherwise all pretty much play the same in my opinion. It always bothered me how each title was released as a full price game, rather than a DLC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

You may want to look at Arsenal of Democracy.  It's built on the Hearts of Iron 2 game.  It's $10 now, but will get heavy discount I'm sure in a summer sale. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/42850/
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

fabius

At the moment, 'Modern Day 4' mod for Hoi4. Hand down the best modern global strategy game out there at the moment....

... really hope Paradox do full game on modern or very near future at some point. Or somebody else make a good in.

Edited. While playable, the MD4 mod is still early days. They have plans for more diplo and economy.

Ian C

Thanks guys. I have all of those mentioned and I'll try the Modern Day mod for HOI4. I wish someone would give us a full in-depth modern global strategy game. Kind of like Jane's Fleet Command with nation management.

Yskonyn

Well, the tools are there with CMANO. :)
It would requirea humongous effort in the mission editor, but in theory its possible to create a global 'strategy game' in it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

HoodedHorseJoe

I'm not sure if you can still purchase it, but STORM: Frontline Nation was a rough and ready modern strategy game. It was only focused on Europe, but set in a post-modern era. It had a turn-based campaign layer which was very Total War-esque, and then you had a tactical battle mode which was also turn-based.

It probably didn't sell well as after a few patches the developer just upped and disappeared, I'm not even sure they exist anymore. It's very rough, but I always enjoyed it.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Ian C

Quote from: WargamerJoe on May 01, 2018, 03:37:19 AM
STORM: Frontline Nation

I have it, though not played much of it. I'll give it another try.

I tried the HOI4 Modern Day mod. A lot of work has obviously gone into it. I've played 3 years and nothing much happens. I guess you have to go down the warmonger route...

Zulu1966

Quote from: Ian C on April 30, 2018, 01:41:13 PM
I got a hankering for some modern global strategy. Is there anything out there I'm not aware of? Something like Hearts of Iron or Superpower. Air, land sea forces, running a nation, etc. Thanks.

Sort of global strategy....twilight struggle ... GMT games
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Wburn

I have that Storm Front Nation the quirkiest thing was you had to load missiles unto your platforms, never could figure it out. I should reload it gain and see if thy fixed the problem but all in ll it wasn't that entertaining.

fabius

Quote from: mbar on April 30, 2018, 04:09:02 PM
Realpolitiks has a demo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/553260/Realpolitiks/

I just tried the demo again after seeing your suggestion.

Well after I worked out how to do military operations so that it's not so random, I have to say that it's more fun than I remember. Lite, but will pick it up.

Ian C. Yeah Modern Day 4 doesn't have loads going on yet unless you decide to sandbox your own expansion and interventions. But it's the only modern game that will give you full Hoi style army navy and air operations.

Ian C

I have Realpolitiks. It's ok I guess but not deep enough for me.