Civ 4 Caveman to Cosmos Mod Update

Started by solops, February 16, 2018, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

The Caveman-to-Cosmos mod was updated to version 38 this morning. I have not played it much since version 28 and even then it made the game awesome. The changes to basic Civ4 are stunning. The mod allows options to change city parameters, research parameters, religion parameters, leader parameters and development, etc. New game speed and development options are added. Lots of AI enhancements. The new combat options are mind boggling - ambush, retreat, pursuit, hidden unit and much, much more. Non of the feature threads tell much of what is in the game. Only after installing it and going into the game setup is the full range of options revealed.

Guys, forget Civ5 and Civ6. This is the ultimate Civ experience.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Sorry, no time, that was a hasty post. Am on the way to pick up car...transmission overhaul, painful. Will post later. Mod thread is at CivFanatics. Download at ModDB.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on February 16, 2018, 12:53:52 PM
Sorry, no time, that was a hasty post. Am on the way to pick up car...transmission overhaul, painful. Will post later. Mod thread is at CivFanatics. Download at ModDB.

LoL. Yes, sounds painful. Good luck.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

I am really jazzed about this mod and I have to share some stuff. Attached is the official Player Guide. I want to post some highlights of SOME of the OPTIONS for combat, highlighting one comment:

"The goal of the C2C Combat Mod is to transform the Civ IV base stack combat system into something that will make you wonder why Civ V and VI EVER thought it would be a good idea to introduce 1 Unit Per Tile when there was still so much we could do with Stack Combat."

A few of the purely combat related options in the game setup:

Surround and Destroy
Advanced Nukes
No Nukes
Upscaled Building and Unit Costs
C2C Combat Mod - Fight or Flight
C2C Combat Mod - Size Matters
C2C Combat Mod - Hide and Seek
Realistic Siege
C2C Combat Mod - Without Warning

bobarossa

Been playing this a lot the last 2 weeks.  I think this mod does something for Civ4 similar to what Black Ice did for HOI3.  Lots of extra stuff plus some changes that should have been in the original game.  Like being able to build multiple items in the same turn if you have enough production points for it. 

I do have to say I don't enjoy slogging through all the animals during the prehistoric era.  Sometimes you need a couple hunters just so your regular troops can get through the herds without damage.

jomni

bobarossa

Haven't seen that yet.  Maybe I need to play as the Amazon civ.

FarAway Sooner

That does look interesting (the mod, not the screenshot--I'll wait for her in VR).  Solops, do they list release notes in any format besides a Word Doc?  For those of us trying not to use free products rather than pay out the nose for MS Office...

If not, no worries, just thought I'd ask!  Thanks, guys, for posting this.  I played the old Civ IV Fall from Heaven mod about 2x as much as I ever played the original game, so if this mod has half the legs, I might be dusting off my old Civ IV copy.  You know, if I can actually find the DVD...   :)

solops

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 04, 2018, 03:08:39 PM
That does look interesting (the mod, not the screenshot--I'll wait for her in VR).  Solops, do they list release notes in any format besides a Word Doc?  For those of us trying not to use free products rather than pay out the nose for MS Office...

FlickJax

Tried it yesterday, crashed a few times and ran like a dog...so not for me :(

jomni

Quote from: FlickJax on March 07, 2018, 02:57:13 AM
Tried it yesterday, crashed a few times and ran like a dog...so not for me :(

That's the stone age simulation part.

FarAway Sooner

solops

This mod got an update which was mainly a cleanup, which I am grateful for. I was loving it and then ran into a game-killing error at the end of the dark ages. This update fixes that and a lot of other stuff:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/caveman2cosmos/downloads/caveman2cosmos-v385

From the devs -

"v38.5
We haven't done much to change the game for 38.5. Which is why it's v38.5 instead of v39.

What we have been up to since the v38 release has been little but debugs and polishes. No new features or processes or assets. Not even many adjustments to those things. BUT there have been a LOT of rebalance efforts. debugs, and AI corrections - not NEW AI so much as getting it to work as it was designed. Still no claims of perfection but you should find the AI much more enjoyable to play against now.

v38.5 is much what v38 was intended to have been. As a team, we've been disciplined in holding back on adding new content in the meantime, waiting for this mid-version before cracking open any more cans of worms.

I'm really enjoying my personal play testing of this mid-release version and I'm sure you will as well. Things are working very nicely so far as we can see. I'm sure more bugs will be found but so far we're playing through some of the best game experiences we've ever had with C2C. Sometimes its best just to clean house right? We invite you to share in the quality of this new C2C experience.

Yep... there went your summer ;)"