Author Topic: Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter  (Read 15944 times)

Offline MengJiao

• Condottieri
Re: Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »

I'll go look around Post Scriptum's current incarnation before I go look at Hell-warmed-over let Loose

There's three maps featuring US Airborne troops (Veghel, Grave and Best...to use the Bridge names from the Where Eagles Dare game).  Here's the Kirk from the Best map:

Best is a pretty interesting map.  IIRC, in WEDare, Starkweather remarked that the Best scenario was everyone's favorite in play testing.  And in reality it is where either the bridge was blown (its a tiny bridge) or the Panther Company turned up or both.  Of course in reality, there was a railroad bridge near Best, but PS is getting better at focusing things and the whole "fix the rail bridge or the pontoon bridge" with your logistics section is fading a bit in favor of making a critical position (if not always an objective -- there's a night version of Best where the Kerk is not an objective though it still dominates both AA positions and the main crossroads and the main road to the bridge).  Another shot of the St Omopthalos Kerk in Best:

PS -- the explosions and the panthers are related to the Son Bridge.  The Best Bridge was the scene of a series of more-or-less successful german counterattacks.  And the Grave Bridge is in the 82nd zone so its a Devil's cauldron bridge, not a Where Eagles Dare bridge.

PPS...the Grave Bridge is the last map for the Market-garden series on PS.  Apparently a whole new series is being worked on.

Offline MengJiao

• Condottieri
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »

I'll go look around Post Scriptum's current incarnation before I go look at Hell-warmed-over let Loose

There's three maps featuring US Airborne troops (Veghel, Grave and Best...to use the Bridge names from the Where Eagles Dare game).  Here's the Kirk from the Best map:

Best is a pretty interesting map.  IIRC, in WEDare, Starkweather remarked that the Best scenario was everyone's favorite in play testing.  And in reality it is where either the bridge was blown (its a tiny bridge) or the Panther Company turned up or both.  Of course in reality, there was a railroad bridge near Best, but PS is getting better at focusing things and the whole "fix the rail bridge or the pontoon bridge" with your logistics section is fading a bit in favor of making a critical position (if not always an objective -- there's a night version of Best where the Kerk is not an objective though it still dominates both AA positions and the main crossroads and the main road to the bridge).  Another shot of the St Omopthalos Kerk in Best:

PS -- the explosions and the panthers are related to the Son Bridge.  The Best Bridge was the scene of a series of more-or-less successful german counterattacks.  And the Grave Bridge is in the 82nd zone so its a Devil's cauldron bridge, not a Where Eagles Dare bridge.

PPS...the Grave Bridge is the last map for the Market-garden series on PS.  Apparently a whole new series is being worked on.

Ppps...There's four maps with US airborne troops: Best, Veghel, Grave and Vermolen.  I was on Grave last night and thing were hoppin'...as an infantryman I got caught in a pretty big armored battle (one Tiger and one armored car trying to stop a fair number of Shermans. trucks AC and infantry from completely shutting down the main German reinforcement corridor, and the last couple of objectives)...things must have gone badly because I ended up as a section leader on the German side.  It was late so I quit.  I don't think my out-of-practice section leading would have turned the tide.

Offline MengJiao

• Condottieri
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »

Ppps...There's four maps with US airborne troops: Best, Veghel, Grave and Vermolen.  I was on Grave last night and thing were hoppin'...as an infantryman I got caught in a pretty big armored battle (one Tiger and one armored car trying to stop a fair number of Shermans. trucks AC and infantry from completely shutting down the main German reinforcement corridor, and the last couple of objectives)...things must have gone badly because I ended up as a section leader on the German side.  It was late so I quit.  I don't think my out-of-practice section leading would have turned the tide.

Here's a picture of that armored battle.  Apparently there's a special "Armor" type of scenario, but this is from the basic infantry-style scenario: