Charles S Roberts Awards thread

Started by bayonetbrant, July 09, 2012, 05:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://charlesrobertsawards.com/voting.php

To vote, you must first log in. If you don't yet have a log in, please register.
Please note that you must register every year to vote, even if you have registerd in previous years.

Questions or comments about the site? Contact the CSR Committee.

edited out the list b/c it keeps changing

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quoteedited out the list b/c it keeps changing
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

As a note - there are almost no nominees in the computer games categories.  You can add a nominee as a write-in, and after that it becomes check-able for future voters.

Because of this, the lists above are not 100% accurate anymore.

Plus, if you follow the link, the lists themselves are hyperlinked to the games' pages.

GroggyGrognard

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

LongBlade

Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword got onto the list of PC game nominations...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

hammersby

seems like there are way too many nominations to sort through

and that I have a lot a lot a lot of playing to do to catch up

does anyone screen nominations?

bayonetbrant

Update to the Charlies

They've listed the top 5 vote-getters in each category, except the HoF and Design Elegance awards.

And Warfare Affair made the cutoff - w00t!

Thanks to everyone who voted :)

bayonetbrant

Results are out

http://charlesrobertsawards.com/results.php?theYear=2011

The GMT mafia rolled over the Analysis category with Mark Herman taking the win.  When you're a name as big as his, you pretty much get whatever award you want, eh?

Still, it was cool to make the top 5 and make the nomination list :)

ABD

Am not surprised at some winners however congratulations to all despite what maybe some politicking for ballots.

Bison

This catagory makes not sense what so ever.

Best Pre-20th Century Era Computer Wargame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leipzig - John Tiller Software
Mount&Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars
Mount&Blade: With Fire & Sword
•Shogun 2 Total War
Shogun 2 Total War : Fall of the Samurai

Mount and Blade is a great game, but I would never consider it a historical simulation.  Nor Shogun 2 for that matter.  And frankly if it's a "wargame" award then how could anything other than Leipzig win?  Its the only true IMHO wargame on that entire list.

ABD

Bison

bayonetbrant

Can you repost what he said?  I'm curious.  I like Charles, and we both write for Battles, and I respect his opinions.  I hope he's not taking my GMT Mafia comment too seriously.  I have a bunch of friends in the GMT Mafia!  Plus, they make really good games :)
(reminder to self: go finish reviewing FAB Sicily this weekend)
(another reminder to self: still need to pick up Leaping Lemmings at Gamer's Armory)