Author Topic: A Call to Arms: Star Fleet  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • All that is gold does not glitter.
A Call to Arms: Star Fleet
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »
I played my first battles this past weekend at No Brand Con in Eau Claire.  And it was awesome. 

I suspect the original StarFleet Battles would be too hardcore for my tastes, but this one (which is more streamlined) was a lot of fun.  Also, A Call To Arms allows for full squadrons to face off in a reasonable amount of time (as opposed to just a ship or two per side), which makes for some hot fleet-on-fleet action.  Never enjoyed getting my ass kicked this much before.  :D 

EDIT:  http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/ctastarfleet.html

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:42:31 AM by Martok »
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
Re: A Call to Arms: Star Fleet
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
I have the rules to it but have only briefly looked them over.

Federation Commander seems to strike a good balance between Star Fleet Battles and something light, but even it is a bit ponderous. My guess is that A Call To Arms is probably faster. At some point I'll dig out my rules and give it a try :)

Offline eyebiter

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
Would be interested to read a review or AAR.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »

Roger. I had hoped to do something like that when it first arrived but time got away from me. Now it's in a box somewhere. I think I have a good idea as to where, but it may be a couple of weeks before I can get around to it.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
I will say that the Mongoose Star Trek minis are of good quality for the most part. In a couple of cases I had to drill out a deeper hole to insert the stand, but largely they were fine. The Romulan set didn't seem to have issues, but some of the Federation ships seemed to need a little help. Again, I intended to write something up on the minis, too, but there is that time thing.

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • All that is gold does not glitter.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:00:03 AM »

Federation Commander seems to strike a good balance between Star Fleet Battles and something light, but even it is a bit ponderous. My guess is that A Call To Arms is probably faster. At some point I'll dig out my rules and give it a try :)

That's what the fellow who was showing off the game said (that A Call to Arms plays faster/easier than Federation Commander). 

Even with him pausing periodically to explain various game rules/mechanics (plus both of us constantly digressing into discussing general Trek history/lore :P ), we were still able to fight a 2-on-2 match in under 3 hours, and a larger 5-on-5 slug-fest in about 6 hours.  Had I been attempting to truly/fully understand the rules/mechanics at the time, it no doubt would've taken longer, but even then I doubt it would've taken all day.  The combat mechanics seemed pretty intuitive, and I suspect most here could/would follow along even easier than I did. 

Seconded!  (You know, during your copious amounts of spare time, of course. ;)

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy