Author Topic: Armored Brigade  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Apocalypse 31

• Viking
Re: Armored Brigade
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
As I see it, we are providing a massive playground and huge number of toys that can be used to create an unlimited amount of scenarios, and I'm expecting that we will see them made by the community. Before developing the scenario making system much further, I'd like to hear what the users really want from it.

It just feels like you're releasing a half-baked game. Any developer that calls its game 'sandbox' immediately sends up a red warning flare (sorry, we couldn't find the time to make a proper campaign/scenario base)

No campaign.

No scenarios

Only a random battle generator where the "dynamic" AI will do whatever it wants.

and I'm expecting that we will see them made by the community

And you expect the players to build the scenarios for you?

ehhhhhh what? :idiot2:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:29:48 AM by Apocalypse 31 »

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »

It just feels like you're releasing a half-baked game. Any developer that calls its game 'sandbox' immediately sends up a red warning flare (sorry, we couldn't find the time to make a proper campaign/scenario base)

No campaign.

No scenarios

Only a random battle generator where the "dynamic" AI will do whatever it wants.

I'm good with the sandbox approach. For example: I have been playing (and still play) CM1 since its launch. I can probably count on two hands the number of set piece scenarios I have played. I love a good random battle generator.

So understand your comment, but I am one player who is not that interested in set scenarios.
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
That's what it comes down to really.  I'm more of a set piece scenario kind of guy myself as well but from what I observed so far about this game makes me very interested.  Even if the game will be in a random sandbox mode.

Offline Rayfer

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »
I wonder what the price point will be on release?  With my limited gaming funds I hope this isn't one of their 'premium' games in the $80.00 range, i.e. WitE/W, WitP:AE, etc. 

Offline IronX

• Viking
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 10:23:37 AM »
I'm intrigued by this game and like what I've seen so far. For me too, it will depend on the price point and how well it's received before I commit. After Check Your Six, I'm no longer a day one purchaser of Siltherix games.

Offline DennisS

• Viking
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »

No campaign.

No scenarios

I'm good with the sandbox approach. For example: I have been playing (and still play) CM1 since its launch. I can probably count on two hands the number of set piece scenarios I have played. I love a good random battle generator.

So understand your comment, but I am one player who is not that interested in set scenarios.

To be honest, I won't buy a game that only has set scenarios. Once you "solve" them, you're done. A GOOD random battle generation system is better than structured scenarios, in all be one regard. You can't playtest or balance a random scenario. The pre-built can be more fun, as the entire scenario has been gone over with a critical eye, with improvements in mind.

Even scenario created by users just don't really do it for me.

One last point. The AI needs to be better for a random battle generation system. The AI for pre-builts can be scripted, in a big way. Turn two, send the tanks down this road, flank THAT building with infantry and RPG's. The illusion of the AI countering your moves is maintained...as there are only a few tactical decisions that can be reasonably made.

Either way, this game looks pretty good.

Offline Iconoclast

• Velites
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »
Posting to subscribe to threat...

But yeah, I agree. A good Battle editor is worth more to me as well, of course, just personally speaking.  I am a huge fan of the Assault Boardgame Series and always look back to them when a new 80s Cold War gone Hot comes out.

The big issue I see atm is the AI though. The fact that they do not adhere to red SOP and instead just build "random" AI groups is something that turns me off. I would prefer to see BAGs, RAGs, MODs, MSDs etc. What is also an issue for me is the lack of bridging equipment in the game.

But in any case, I will support the game. Every commercial success in a tactical 80s environment is a step forward to the type of game I would like to see in the future.

Cheers,

I
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

Offline Crossroads

• Man-at-Arms
  • Gott Mit Uns! - Breitenfeld 1631
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 09:14:37 AM »
Posting to subscribe to threat...

+1

Seems it is about to be released. Saving my anniverary coupon for this one  :)
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
-------------------------
CS: Vietnam | CS: East Front 1939-1941 - In The Works
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 OUT NOW
-------------------------
CS:ME AARs: Draw it was: "High Water Mark" (Syria, 12 Oct 1973) Me vs Berto | "Riptide" (Libya; 6 Aug 1985) Me vs Berto | "The Crossroads" (West Bank; 5 June 1967)  Me vs Berto | "Into Africa!" (Egypt; 17 Oct 1973) Me vs Berto

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
Very interested. Out on the 15th but cannot see it on steam.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
OK I AM OUT... single player only. Majorly bummed
I have no interest in learning a system I cannot play with friends.
I went hunting for if it had coop multi vs AI and found NO multi at all!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:58:24 PM by Destraex »

Offline mikeck

• Condottieri
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM »
OK I AM OUT... single player only. Majorly bummed
I have no interest in learning a system I cannot play with friends.
I went hunting for if it had coop multi vs AI and found NO multi at all!!

Lol...well I will balance the universe for us then. If it’s single player I’m in. No interest in MP games with a half-arsed AI to provide single player “training”
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 03:32:18 AM »
Instead you just get a half arsed AI and no real human challenge or even social interaction.

Online Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 04:35:11 AM »
Instead you just get a half arsed AI and no real human challenge or even social interaction.

Sign me up....I'll take that over multi-player games any day of the week.  Even half arsed AI usually gives me a run for my money....

Offline sandman2575

• Man-at-Arms
  • Poet Warrior in the Classical Sense...
« Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 09:42:33 AM »
Even half arsed AI usually gives me a run for my money....

+1 and then some.

It's a rare game that I enjoy that has a truly terrible AI. Most are perfectly competent as far as I'm concerned.

And to be honest, I don't really want a huge challenge these days, if I ever did. My gaming time is usually at night, after work and after getting kids fed and to bed. At that point, my mental capacity is about a quarter of what it is during the day. I want to relax. My ideal is that the AI gives me just enough of a challenge that the game is enjoyable but in the end I still win.   8)

Besides, so much of the 'challenge' of these games is simply learning how to play them -- most are highly complex with detailed mechanics and options. I don't need a supercomputer AI to add to the challenge at the same time.  And Armored Brigade looks *plenty* complex as it is.

Anyway, I can see why the lack of MP here is unappealing to some. For me, bring on the mediocre SP AIs!

Offline Apocalypse 31

• Viking
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 09:43:11 AM »

Sign me up....I'll take that over multi-player games any day of the week.  Even half arsed AI usually gives me a run for my money....

It's just big blobs of units moving toward pre-determined points on the map.

No strategy
No tactics
No adjustment to the plan