TOTAL WAR ARENA - founder packs on sale, wargaming.net hosting + BETA access

Started by Destraex, August 29, 2017, 06:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Total War Arena looks like its finally closer to becoming reality. It's now going into closed beta and they are now selling founders packs for it. Closed Beta access is guaranteed by buying the $10 lowest founder pack. The usual problem manifests itself here when is comes to wargaming.net. I am thinking my guys will stay on the US servers like we do with world of warships. But am worried with this game that pings will be too bad? I need to do some testing if I still have access.
https://totalwararena.com/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tpek

Did they actually use Total War: Rome (1) as a basis for this?
(As would appear from the screenshots)

Zulu1966

Quote from: Destraex on August 29, 2017, 06:20:33 PM
Total War Arena looks like its finally closer to becoming reality. It's now going into closed beta and they are now selling founders packs for it. Closed Beta access is guaranteed by buying the $10 lowest founder pack. The usual problem manifests itself here when is comes to wargaming.net. I am thinking my guys will stay on the US servers like we do with world of warships. But am worried with this game that pings will be too bad? I need to do some testing if I still have access.
https://totalwararena.com/

So this is essentially 10 a side Total war battles ? WoT but with Total war battles ?
Can you not have multiplayer battles in the total war game ?

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

jomni

JasonPratt

You can have multiplayer battles in the TW games, but not massively multiplayer matches. Nor can you spend real and fake money buying companies to make up your army and upgrade them -- which without seeing any direct evidence yet I suppose to be WG.Net's plan, based purely on past experience. ;)

It seems like a very doable proposition if so.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Total War: ARENA is a free-to-play, team-based strategy game where players step into the boots of legendary heroes from the past to forge their legacy through combat. Built on years of Creative Assembly's experience with the critically acclaimed Total War series, it takes the pillars of strategy, intense, tactical combat, and dedication to history the series is famous for and distills it into epic, online combat for new and old fans alike.

In massive and fast-paced 10-vs-10 RTS battles, characters control three units with hundreds of warriors and clash across ancient battlefields. Every encounter pushes each commander to sharpen their wits and strategize with their allies to secure victory. A deep progression system to level up commanders, and discover new skills, weaponry, armor and abilities are waiting as players climb the ranks. Paired with historical authenticity and deep attention to detail, Total War: ARENA takes players to the heart of battle like never before.

"Characters control three units"? 

At first, I figured this for a manic click-fest.  But maybe it won't be so bad if each player is only running three units. 

???

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on September 01, 2017, 06:15:11 AM
Maybe it's like Tiger Knight without the 3rd person action.

Seems that may be the best comparison, after reading some of their blurbs.

Apparently players will be controlling a leader, along with their unit(s).

Also makes me think it may use an offshoot of the TW:Warhammer engine.  Since the description of the leader option Vercingetorix says:

QuoteHis skills allow you to lock your unit's morale and deliver a powerful conflagration to a surrounding area, turning enemies to ash. His ability to only succumb to damage after completing an order means Vercingetorix is defiant until the end.

Sounds very much like a TWW leader ability, and it would make sense an MMOA would have more RPG-style leader abilities & progression than older TWs (which is how Warhammer's leaders are done).

Destraex

10 players (per side) with 3 units each = 30 units a side = 60 units on the field. Each unit is about 100 men iirc?? or is it 50?
You get three units to play with
1 of those units contains your commander.

Destraex

This screenshot shows just above the unit cards some little icons. They pop up as you move onto roads, your flanks (left and right icons) are secure, morale is good. etc.

Nefaro

Interesting..

Thanks Destraex

Is it still supposed to be in 'beta' for awhile? 

In other words, will they be wiping your progress in the future?

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on September 02, 2017, 10:26:42 AM
Interesting..

Thanks Destraex

Is it still supposed to be in 'beta' for awhile? 

In other words, will they be wiping your progress in the future?

From what I've read on the website, seems like it.

Destraex

I'd say their will be another wipe for sure. Either when they go to open beta from closed beta or when they release. Not sure if they wont go straight to release because this dev cycle has been so long.
I got into the beta automatically because I was in the alpha, both when it was on steam and when they converted to wargaming.net. It now cost $13 to get into the beta. Through one of the founders packs.

jomni

Destraex

You play it like total war except you have 3 units and the rest of the 10 players on your side also have 3 units.
So you move whole units... there is no tiger knight style FPS element.
The games usually play out where each side pushes forward trying to support each other through forests, towns, hills and such trying to get to the other sides base. The base can then be captured.
Of course this basically simulates a meeting engagement. All the tactics happening in the middle.

One team of course can all decide to defend by mutual agreement or ambush.

Essentially its like playing a total war battle with a baggage train\command deep behind each army for capture.

THis is as large as I could make the minimap for you to see.