Author Topic: Anno 1800 Coming Winter 2018  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
Re: Anno 1800 Coming Winter 2018
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
I was hyped but f that. Iím out now.
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.Ē

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline RommelFox

• Equites
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 04:47:34 PM »
Same, so not getting mixed up with epic.

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 01:04:49 AM »
Why the adversity against Epic? Is it because of something the company does or doesnít do or donít you guys want yet another store client installed?
Just curious nothing more.
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 02:32:52 AM »
There are plenty of reasons.  For me it's mainly:

1. The Epic client is a piece of shit compared to Steam
2. I don't want to run yet another client
3. I don't want to support these shady practices

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 03:53:38 AM »
Zero issue for me....only reason I haven't used much is because no games released I want.  If/when there is, I'll have no hesitation.

Offline MC

• Equites
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 09:49:46 AM »
Just purchase it on UPlay and avoid the middleman altogether. Doesn't it have to go through the Uplay launcher whether it is on Steam or Epic?

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »
There are plenty of reasons.  For me it's mainly:

1. The Epic client is a piece of shit compared to Steam
2. I don't want to run yet another client
3. I don't want to support these shady practices

Ok, but what are these shady practices?
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 12:12:14 PM »
Oh come on Ysk, there's one in this very thread and they've been documented in numerous other threads around here.  I'm not going to repeat everything.  You can also look up gaming news about Epic - you'll find plenty of bait-and-switches to read about along with privacy concerns etc.

Offline Pete Dero

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »
Oh come on Ysk, there's one in this very thread and they've been documented in numerous other threads around here.

Check the thread about Phoenix Point : http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16512.msg434717#msg434717

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
^All that. Guess I could go through UPlay...
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.Ē

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline em2nought

• Viking
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
Ubi always seems to try to screw up my gaming experience.  Starforce being THE prime example.  I tried to buy on the Ubi store just this month, and it wouldn't let me complete the sale without saving my credit card info to their website so "no sale".  They might as well put this on sale at Stormpowered where I'll be sure to never buy anything.  Ubisoft and Jim Rose why do you hate me? LOL

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »
Well I obviously am not at the forefront of all things Epic. It was just a question as you guys often have insights I value.
But at the same time I donít read anything new that wasnít also discussed when Steam and Uplay launched. How many people on here actively resisted against Steam for quite a while?
So this Epic thing is just the same old internet drama in my view. Storm in a glass until their services provide just enough that people want and the storm subsides and people use it afterall.
If Epic is bothering us so much, we should start with destroying our smartphones; thereís much bigger threats coming into our lives on a daily basis from it.
Thatís not to say I donít value privacy. On the contrary, I think many people are naively unaware of privacy threats in our modern lives and I also think people should do the best they can to shield themselves, or at least have an informed opinion about which risks they want to take.
But back on topic of Epic.. I canít help but shrug.
I donít use it however. But I do use Uplay and Steam.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:58:05 PM by Yskonyn »

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
Starforce being THE prime example.

Starforce was when I really started paying attention to shitty DRM.  That thing was awful.  I remember the forums I frequented being filled with complaints about what it was doing to their PCs.  I never did buy a Starforce-infected game.

I tried to buy on the Ubi store just this month, and it wouldn't let me complete the sale without saving my credit card info to their website so "no sale".

Damn, that's disgraceful!

Offline Pete Dero

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »
Starforce being THE prime example.

Starforce was when I really started paying attention to shitty DRM.  That thing was awful.  I remember the forums I frequented being filled with complaints about what it was doing to their PCs.  I never did buy a Starforce-infected game.

I remember installing an older game (with starforce but I didn't know that) from dvd on my new computer.  I got a message that I had to restart my computer to finish the installation and update some drivers.
Computer didn't start up anymore and it took my more than a day to get it back in to a working state.
I read somewhere later that this type of starforce wasn't supported in windows 7 so it messed up my OS.

And Anno 1800 is the next Epic Exclusive  ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/916440/Anno_1800/ )
while Borderlands 3 could be on that list soon  ( https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/509477-borderlands-3-epic-games-store-exclusivity-gearbox-ceo )
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:31:13 PM by Pete Dero »

Offline Pete Dero

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 02:37:09 PM »
I tried to buy on the Ubi store just this month, and it wouldn't let me complete the sale without saving my credit card info to their website so "no sale".

If I can help it I don't use my credit card on line any more.  I use a Paypal account with a limited amount of money on it.  Works fine with Uplay.