Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Started by Nefaro, August 04, 2017, 08:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

.. was just released.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/650670/Grimoire__Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar/

Which of you lab rats are gonna be the first to test it out?

(as I suspected.. $40 price point.  10% off though)

BanzaiCat

That looks like Eye of the Beholder, or Wizardry 6/7, or any number of other old-school RPGs...

Man, I hated Wizardry...the character creation process was such a pain in the hindquarters...

HoodedHorseJoe

Saw this earlier. Feels like the subtitle contains one word too many. A bit of a mouthful as-is.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Yskonyn

I tried it. Refunded it immediately after.

There is no manual. No tutorial either. Tooltips are only namelabels without explanation either.
For a game that has been in development for 20 years aparently and a company that has a punchline "Golden Era Games, like you remember, only better!" I expect a complete package with a nice thick manual OR modern GUI conventions being implemented to alleviate te problem of an absent manual.

After fiddling with buttons on screen and random keypresses on my keyboard trying to get the greyed out 'Battle' button to become active at a monster encounter, it dawned on me that I am too old to too attached to my free time and I will not spend this time wasting it like this.

Might rebuy if reviews are glowing.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Sir Slash

Love the look but $36 is a lot for a 'shot-in-the-dark' chance at a good game. Sitting on my wallet for now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

I'm curious if the devs know what an "exemplar" is...

"Hey this word sounds cool!  Let's use it!"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 04, 2017, 09:18:31 AM
"Hey this word sounds cool!  Let's use it!"

That's how used to name places for my D&D maps.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rayfer

$35 (regular $40) is steep for an old-school RPG in the ilk of the old Wizardry, Might and Magic and Sword and Sorcerers series.  But then again, maybe there is more to it than meets the eye?

Nefaro

Watched some of it streamed.

VERY Wizardry 7 style.  But easier to use.

If you're not familiar with Wiz7, you probably want to wait & read the game manual when it comes out (next week supposedly).  Otherwise you won't know what a lot of the commands do, how to find secret doors, etc etc. 

Think I can figure out a lot of stuff on my own, having somewhat recently played the oldies this took inspiration from & watching it being played.  I did enjoy playing Wiz7 again, a couple years ago, but the old DOS interface was a pain.  This is still an improvement over that mess.  Would still be trial and error right now.

dinsdale

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 04, 2017, 08:52:49 AM
I expect a complete package with a nice thick manual OR modern GUI conventions being implemented to alleviate te problem of an absent manual.

Google the game, this isn't some retro game made recently. The game doesn't have modern conventions because its a game from 1994 that just happened to take 23 years to complete. It has had 'ready for release' announcements made in 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 (probably some more years I'm not aware of too.)

But if the game is 1% as entertaining as the saga surrounding its development has been, it will be a masterpiece.

salazarus

I think that 20 years enough time to create decent ui, tooltips and manual. 40$ for unfinished game is too much. I can live with poor old-school graphics, but old-school interface is just bad interface. It took me few minutes to figure out how to start battle. And when I saw how slow it is I just get rid of that game.
It is sad because I think there is a interesting game buried under clunky ui. I just get tired by interface and lack information before I could enjoy the game. When I buy a new game in 2017 I except some modern gui conventions, no matter how old-school that game is trying to be.

MC

Saw this on the Steam forum: Im a little disapointed[sic] about the lack of support for VR but...   :crazy2:  Really!!?

Add another 25 years for that option!

Nefaro

Quote from: salazarus on August 04, 2017, 03:49:33 PM
I think that 20 years enough time to create decent ui, tooltips and manual. 40$ for unfinished game is too much. I can live with poor old-school graphics, but old-school interface is just bad interface. It took me few minutes to figure out how to start battle. And when I saw how slow it is I just get rid of that game.
It is sad because I think there is a interesting game buried under clunky ui. I just get tired by interface and lack information before I could enjoy the game. When I buy a new game in 2017 I except some modern gui conventions, no matter how old-school that game is trying to be.

Is a way to speed up combat, by skipping the messages faster (hold Return or Space I was told - may also be an option in settings).

gameleaper

edit

salazarus

Quote from: Nefaro on August 04, 2017, 07:05:22 PM
Is a way to speed up combat, by skipping the messages faster (hold Return or Space I was told - may also be an option in settings).

There is no option in settings menu. I also couldn't start game second time. I've got black screen and crappy music.