Author Topic: GrogCast Season 5!  (Read 2481 times)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
GrogCast Season 5!
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:33:21 AM »
Discuss all things Season 5, starting with the premiere episode here

http://grogheads.com/podcast/grogcast-season-5-premiere-episode
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
Re: GrogCast Season 5!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:16:47 AM »
Did Barth call in using a tin can and string?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
Did Barth call in using a tin can and string?

Canadian socialized telephony
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Barthheart

• Order of the Square Button
  • Arquebusier
  • Looking for dark matter in deep, dark holes....
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »
Yeah... time for a new headset....  :P
PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 08:11:04 AM »
I thought Apotheosis was one of the bad guys in Stargate.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »
Listened to the show last night.  Good discussion gents.

I'm a little confused at the logic of how being a gaming culdesac is a positive for wargaming however.

Offline Cyrano

• Order of the Square Button
  • Man-at-Arms
  • AKA JK Actual
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:15:11 AM »
1:  I will now threaten to take B_C''s equipment away from him.  Drive to the toasty Southwest to do it if I must.

2:  @Bison:  Something I've been thinking about a lot.  Folks have wrung their hands about where war gaming is going, especially the groggy kind, for years.  I think that was always based on a false apprehension, viz., that to be a vital part of the entertainment scene, we had to go back to the days of Avalon Hill and SPI and to sell the sorts of numbers and have the sort of cultural presence that particularly the former did.  Those fellows bought billboards for heaven's sake.  However big they really were -- my perspective is admittedly distorted -- the days of "big wargaming" are over.  Origins (once a wargaming con), GenCon (once sort of a wargaming con), Essen, UK Games Expo, &c., have given us more or less space -- usually less -- but even at Origins "Cool Stuff, Inc." didn't bring a single war game to sell on their discount racks like they did last year.  Please understand that I didn't want this to be the case, but PCs, consoles, and, yeah, lighter boardgame fare has sucked the air out of the room.

So, we are where we are, but, rather than collapse to sackcloth and ashes, I choose to be pleased by the fact that ConSim Expo does as well as it does and publishers like LnL, Fliying Pig, Compass, OSS, OSG, and even some interesting foreign interlopers have thrived in an environment made possible by rapidly-declining printing costs, the internet, crowd funding, and a few other factors as well.  I am very curious to see how long this all endures -- does OSG survive Mr. Zucker's inevitable passing, for example -- but I'm selfish enough to say that I've got games enough to play for more than my lifetime.

Easily the most interesting case in all this is GMT where groggy games are getting bustled to the back of the queue by gentler, more euro-centric designs.  The influence of the euros on this company is evident and logical..  It now appears, though, that the P500 has really become the P-better-get-closer-to-1,000 as mega-hits like TS and C&C:A crowd out the heavier stuff that has languished.

People drive into cul-de-sacs all the time.  They often find very fine things there.  Just don't expect the same kind of traffic and attention you'd get on Main Street.  That's reserved for Hanseatic traders making soldiers from wheat.

Pledge Representative to the Social Committee

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

You are all a bunch of card-mangling. game miscegenators.  -- The Spirit of PanzerDe

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »
1:  I will now threaten to take B_C''s equipment away from him.  Drive to the toasty Southwest to do it if I must.

^-^

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »
Interesting thoughts Cyrano thanks for posting.

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »
Toonces & Mirth in this week's GrogCast for your weekend listening enjoyment

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »
Toonces & Mirth in this week's GrogCast for your weekend listening enjoyment

No frills or sarcastic references in this one...didn't have time for it.  :-\

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »
I demand embarrassing sound effects!

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
Shhhh! Listen...

O:-)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »
Episode 3.
Two words: "thrust sticks"

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:59:55 AM »
Episode 3.
Two words: "thrust sticks"

And I wasn't even involved