Paradox Interactive Acquires Triumph Studios

Started by steve58, June 30, 2017, 12:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

...from Bluesnews:
Paradox Interactive has acquired Triumph Studios, the creators of the Age of Wonders and Overlord series. The announcement has the details and word that there will be a livestream later today to discuss the news:
Paradox Interactive is pleased to announce it has acquired Triumph Studios, the creators of the critically-acclaimed Age of Wonders and Overlord-series.

Founded in 1997 by Lennart Sas and Arno van Wingerden, both of who remain with the company today, Triumph Studios is known as one of the top-tier strategy games developers worldwide. The Age of Wonders-series has sold in excess of one million copies to date.

Following the acquisition, the current team and management will all remain with Triumph Studios. All ongoing projects will remain in development, and will be published by Paradox Interactive.

"Triumph Studios is a developer of our own heart. They are world-leading within their niche and have built a large and dedicated community over the years, counting quite a few Paradox employees among their hardcore fans. We have great faith in Lennart, Arno and the Triumph team, and our main focus now is to ensure that they can continue to create their magic under new ownership," said Fredrik Wester, CEO at Paradox Interactive.

"We have been approached by others before with an interest to acquire us, but this is not merely a business transaction for us. This is a liaison with a partner that can help us grow sustainably by ensuring the stability and continuity needed for us to do more of what we do best - develop some of the best turn-based strategy games on the market today. Paradox is a good match for us both culturally and games-wise. They get it. It's as simple as that, and we are extremely excited about the acquisition," said Lennart Sas, CEO and co-founder of Triumph Studios.

Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester and Triumph CEO Lennart Sas will host a live stream about the acquisition on Friday 30 June at 4PM CEST. Tune in at twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Hope they will fill out Age Of Wonders better than #3, which never got all the content it's predecessor had.

AoW3 was still a great game.  But after the AoW2 titles, it's breadth came off rather thin in comparison.

JasonPratt

AOW4: ships with infinite bugs, and paid functionality which should have been in the original release, hidden in otherwise minimal DLC expansions, most of which will be cosmetic, some of which will provide equivalent functionality for the halflings and frostlings as for the elves and orcs, some of which will be pdfs of CRY OF JUSTICE (because I demonstrably liked the series at some point) or more likely the fantasy novels of George MacDonald since his works are in the public domain, and some of which will be licensed use of Sabaton performances from their albums. There will be 45 DLCs eventually, but you can buy the first three before their content is announced as a season pass, valued in its marketing by Paradox at the list price of the game itself but the season pass will be priced at 33% off.

Eventually most of the bugs will be fixed, except for some of the new ones added in by the major DLCs, some of which will break the game even without bugs, and at least two of which will feature alien invasions with ray guns and giant robots. This general stability however will be just in time for the announcement of the forthcoming AOW5. But fans will faithfully mod up AOW4 to be far superior to AOW5 for many years to come, until the cycle repeats as it ever must be.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

I bet there will be much more DLC for Triumph Studios' games now. ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 30, 2017, 02:43:21 PM
AOW4: ships with infinite bugs, and paid functionality which should have been in the original release, hidden in otherwise minimal DLC expansions, most of which will be cosmetic, some of which will provide equivalent functionality for the halflings and frostlings as for the elves and orcs, some of which will be pdfs of CRY OF JUSTICE (because I demonstrably liked the series at some point) or more likely the fantasy novels of George MacDonald since his works are in the public domain, and some of which will be licensed use of Sabaton performances from their albums. There will be 45 DLCs eventually, but you can buy the first three before their content is announced as a season pass, valued in its marketing by Paradox at the list price of the game itself but the season pass will be priced at 33% off.

Eventually most of the bugs will be fixed, except for some of the new ones added in by the major DLCs, some of which will break the game even without bugs, and at least two of which will feature alien invasions with ray guns and giant robots. This general stability however will be just in time for the announcement of the forthcoming AOW5. But fans will faithfully mod up AOW4 to be far superior to AOW5 for many years to come, until the cycle repeats as it ever must be.

;D

Tuna

Is that the band that used to compete with Rush?

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Sounds about right!

<:-)

Tpek

LoL  :D

jamus34

Nevermind
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

So if I am reading the above correctly, Paradox is releasing Rush's next album and each song will be a paid DLC?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

So are we saying that Paradox is prepared to Lay It on The Line?