Author Topic: Burden of Command Announced  (Read 13485 times)

Offline lhughes42

• Hoplite
Re: Burden of Command Announced
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
"Judge Advocate General, Administrator, Longbowman"  and JarHead. ... OK I'm intimidated!  :notworthy:

So to your question, the image is from the US Torch landings in 1942. I believe this particular image is not our Cottonbalers but maybe Big Red One? (different landing). Let me see if I can do better by you...
OK found it.. yeah Oran landing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_African_Campaign#/media/File:American_troops_on_board_a_landing_craft_heading_for_the_beaches_at_Oran_in_Algeria_during_Operation_%27Torch%27,_November_1942._A12661.jpg

We actually had a colorizer rework the image with care for our teaser video. That version attached.
And yeah, that soldier is shockingly young. Reminds us so many of them were just boys. That's why we made one of our Lts feel just as young on the right in the twitter collage of prior message.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:32:07 AM by lhughes42 »

Offline lhughes42

• Hoplite
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »
rereading your comment Jarhead0331 made me stare at that image again. Gives me the shivers frankly.
We have some of the AAR reports from the junior officers involved in the Cottonbaler landings at Fedala (I hired an archivist to go into the US national archives and get them as well as other AARs throughout the campaign). It is something to read them. Really puts you there. Let me see if I can post a sample for you.

As the son of an historian and WWII vet this reaches deep within me.

First image from Colonel Moore in command of 7th at Fedala Morocco. Second from one of the Captains. The writers drew on these reports in creating the Burden of Command experience. The second one in particular gives you some sense of the chaos... which naturally we do not spare you from ;-)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:33:04 AM by lhughes42 »

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2018, 11:52:14 AM »
Fantastic! Thank you!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline Mad Russian

• Viking
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
Things to announce...

Some items that are set for tentative inclusion in the game...

Flamethrowers
Satchel Charges
Vehicles on both sides
US mis-identification of German units
As many command decision points before, during, and after, actions as is reasonable and not overwhelming
Historical research down to the nuts and bolts level.

That list is by far not all inclusive. There are far more items we are working to include but these are some of the ones that should get everyone's attention...

Good Hunting.

MR
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:04:40 PM by Mad Russian »
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2018, 05:27:38 PM »
Attention gotten in spades.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Tripoli

• Velites
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
Here's the latest update on Burden of Command (BoC). I'm working on the BoC team along with Mad Russian and lhughes42 in putting this game together.  Today's update is the release of a short video highlighting some of the RPG and tactical decisions the player must make as they lead a company of the 7th Infantry Regiment through the ETO in WWII.

https://twitter.com/BurdenOfCommand/status/1029406194962595840

See also the Steam page: Steam Page: http://bit.ly/BoCSteam

Offline Zonso

• Equites
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
Ugh, did I just see a Squad bum rushing a MG Team?!?  :o

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Viking
    • tacticalwargamer.com
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
Ugh, did I just see a Squad bum rushing a MG Team?!?  :o

I think the idea is that they jazz up the gameplay with dramatic music and wartime film footage and you're not supposed to notice?

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
I will check it out on Steam. Thanks for the heads-up.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline acctingman

• Viking
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
This still a 2018 release? (looked here and on Steam)

This looks pretty good.

Offline lhughes42

• Hoplite
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
Hey Zonso and Michael.
 Lead developer here. So glad you picked up on that!  Yes yes yes! Exactly. So what happened to our brave greenhorn LT?  :-(
   He failed to observe the 4Fs didn't he?   And so the result was predictable. Following his tactics in Burden of Command will lead to a short career.  We heavily reward following the 4Fs (in BoC terms you suppress first, ideally with combined arms (rifle fire, automatic, explosive etc) and then you flank and finish).  Typically not with an actual melee (those were relatively rare) but with a surrender. Or a failure of morale on your side to assault.

We'll have some future videos not so formal where we'll go over those mechanics. But we had to keep simple for this pass and human.  Plus I somewhat perversely wanted to show the outcome of a lack of good tactics. As opposed to one more "win win win" game sequence ;-)

Always a great pleasure talking to Grognards and so glad you called us on. But hope maybe assuaged a bit?.
  Luke
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:58:29 PM by lhughes42 »

Offline lhughes42

• Hoplite
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
(besides replyl above) Ack! Your comment just made me realize the really clever way to do that teaser would have been to have the final assault *FAIL* at the end! No need for a 4F tutorial in a teaser but the point comes across more clearly. Doh!

Well hopefully you guys see our tactical hearts are in the right place if maybe my movie direction isn't perfect LOL. Though if I'd done that maybe I would be sitting here today feeling virtuous and everyone would be finding the teaser too much of a downer and not sharing. Ha. Who knows.

looking forward to your further comments!
  Luke
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:16:28 PM by lhughes42 »

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt at Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • Sic nos sic sacra tuemur
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
Added to my Steam wish-list   <:-)
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"-- insert Steelie rant here--"......Sir Slash

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »
WISH LISTED HARRRRD!  :smitten:
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME forum game signup thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
WISH LISTED HARRRRD!  :smitten:

Sounds like moist loins to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog