Author Topic: Burden of Command Announced  (Read 18231 times)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
Re: Burden of Command Announced
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »
Between this and Close Combat's relaunch, and Panzer Strategy (quite a different type of game of course) coming out of EA Sept 1...  :smitten: :D
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt at Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • Sic nos sic sacra tuemur
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2018, 06:02:14 AM »
It's a good time to be a gamer  <:-)
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"-- insert Steelie rant here--"......Sir Slash

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
Amen Brother! Amen.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Tripoli

• Viking
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2018, 12:10:03 PM »
Ugh, did I just see a Squad bum rushing a MG Team?!?  :o

Rock, Paper, Shotgun just published an article on Burden of Command featuring lead developer Luke Hughes.  It is located here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/24/the-flare-path-no-place-for-cowards/

In the article, Luke describes some of the psychological and tactical mechanics of the game that are illustrated by in the video, including the "bum rush" of the MG team and why that didn't work out so well.   

Offline Mad Russian

• Viking
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
Ugh, did I just see a Squad bum rushing a MG Team?!?  :o

I think the idea is that they jazz up the gameplay with dramatic music and wartime film footage and you're not supposed to notice?

I think the idea is that there are times when you have to make a hard decision as the leader. Do you take that MG out even though it will cause you casualties or not?

You don't know what the full context of the situation is at all times. In wargames we are used to being in 'God Mode' we are used to knowing the entire situation, the enemy forces, our forces, etc....

In real situations much of this is not known.

So, do you take that MG out as you  have been ordered and lose some men? Do you refuse to attack it frontally only to find out it flanks the platoon on the other side and kills 12 of them and wounds another 23.  How do you feel about your choices? Not good....

The Burden of Command is never light.

Make your choices wisely. The war is far from over.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt at Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
Great response, MR, and makes me want to buy the game even more  O0
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Viking
    • tacticalwargamer.com
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Necroposting to see if there is any news. Steam page still has TBA and the game website has nothing in the press section.

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2019, 12:44:03 PM »
Necroposting to see if there is any news. Steam page still has TBA and the game website has nothing in the press section.

I am interested in this one as well.  I believe there are some fairly recent dev notes on the Steam community site. Project does appear to be moving.
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Viking
    • tacticalwargamer.com
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »
thanks AT

Offline lhughes42

• Velites
« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »
Hey Luke here, project lead. We are alive and kicking ;) We post pretty regularly on our Twitter, FB, and Steam accounts. Or if you just want the occasional update (every few months) subscribe to our newsletter.
  Thanks for your interest!

http://bit.ly/BoC_newsletter_signup

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt at Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »
I subscribed to the newsletter but stalled when the "I am not a robot" captcha came up, because honestly....if I were a robot, would I know?   8)   

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2019, 08:40:42 PM »
Probably there to confuse Cylons.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline al_infierno

• Equites
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2019, 07:45:57 PM »
New video related to this game -- a 20 second demo of a random event so I don't think it really warrants its own thread...

To copy my YT comment:  I'm a bit confused by this demonstration. Is this just a random event that can happen to any unit at any time? Is this specific to the scenario? Not sure that "units randomly running out of AP because they got overheated" is my idea of enjoyable tactical chaos.
"Don't quote me boy, 'cause I ain't said shit."  -- Eazy-E

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2019, 08:15:13 PM »
^especially for units that appear to have just hit the beach.  There is a fine line between modeling the burden of command and just being burdensome to the player. Removing all APs for the unit doesn’t present the player commander with a challenging decision to make...it removes all decision making from the equation.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:45:35 PM by Jarhead0331 »
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2019, 08:42:18 PM »
The Burden of Dehydration.  :hide: