Pathfinder Adventures

Started by Nefaro, June 20, 2017, 09:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

http://store.steampowered.com/app/480640/Pathfinder_Adventures/

Picked up this tabletop-to-digital port thinking it would be good for some card game filler in short spurts.

Ended up playing for hours, and coming back for more ASAP.   :dreamer:

While I have the core tabletop game and a couple extra card packs for it, the thing took a LOT of setup and tear-down time.  So I haven't played it as much as I'd like to, especially with so many others waiting in line.  Getting the digital version seemed like a logical step since it plays much faster, and comes with the full first series of expansions (of which I didn't quite have half iirc). 

Anyway.. it's a damn addictive solitaire card game. 

A mobile port, but it's UI hasn't bothered me since it's just based on a card+dice game.  They added hotkeys to the PC version.

I think they're talking of adding multi-player to it, but I don't think the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game was the best, of it's type, at cooperative play.  Since only a small portion of the cards allow for assistance of other players.  Still wouldn't complain if they did add it, though.

bayonetbrant

I had it on the phone and I enjoyed it but the interface was a little crowded for me.  I'm wanting to side-load it onto my tablet and try.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bboyer66

I have the physical version, but never really got into it. Seems like one of those games where you do not do much of anything. Not many decisions, the game just kind of plays itself.

Tpek

I have the physical version and never got into it either.
The Android version on the other, I kept playing a lot.

I especially like the Quest mode, since you can actually lose and yet continue and even level up and gain stuff.

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: Nefaro on June 20, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/480640/Pathfinder_Adventures/

Picked up this tabletop-to-digital port thinking it would be good for some card game filler in short spurts.

Ended up playing for hours, and coming back for more ASAP.   :dreamer:

While I have the core tabletop game and a couple extra card packs for it, the thing took a LOT of setup and tear-down time.  So I haven't played it as much as I'd like to, especially with so many others waiting in line.  Getting the digital version seemed like a logical step since it plays much faster, and comes with the full first series of expansions (of which I didn't quite have half iirc). 

Anyway.. it's a damn addictive solitaire card game. 

A mobile port, but it's UI hasn't bothered me since it's just based on a card+dice game.  They added hotkeys to the PC version.

I think they're talking of adding multi-player to it, but I don't think the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game was the best, of it's type, at cooperative play.  Since only a small portion of the cards allow for assistance of other players.  Still wouldn't complain if they did add it, though.

I'm interested in picking this one up, but I've read some negative reviews on Steam from people who are stating that the game is buggy. Are you encountering any bugs with the game?

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

bayonetbrant

I didn't have any problems other than a really small screen
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DennisS

I picked this up last week, when it was on sale. Pretty good CCG..I like the mechanics, and the PC version is helping me learn the board game version. The board game version has been sitting on my shelf for awhile!

Nefaro

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on June 20, 2017, 01:08:13 PM

I'm interested in picking this one up, but I've read some negative reviews on Steam from people who are stating that the game is buggy. Are you encountering any bugs with the game?

Groggy

Only encountered one verifiable bug thus far, in 12 hours time.  A card I played was missing an associated action button after I played it.  I got around it by clicking the 'X' to take back my last card play, and re-played it.  Worked the second time.

I'm sure there are more situational bugs in there.  Digital ports of tabletop games which have hundreds, or even thousands, of cards that interact with each other differently tend to be that way. 

But I've seen very little to indicate it's nearly as bad as some of the Steam drama queens ("Steam 'Maqueens") would have everyone believe.  Some of those people must love publicly crying about how they've been so put upon by what they deem unsatisfactory .. everything. 

Before I purchased, I half expected the UI to be screwing up on me constantly, judging by some of the screechy reviews & forum posts.  Not so.  Not even close thus far. 

I've been playing it on my somewhat old Win7 notebook. 

Had to manually set the EXE to use it's GT640M, instead of the Intel HD graphics, because that's what it defaulted to.   This happens fairly often with 2D games, so it was standard O.P. to check.  While I was there, I also forced Vsync on, in the Nvidia panel, to be sure it wasn't trying to constantly run my laptop's puny hardware at full blast in an attempt to push out 200fps.  I'm never sure whether devs remember to check that when it comes to tablet ports.  Better safe than burning hot for overkill.

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2017, 01:18:11 PM

Are you talking about the tablet version?

I tend to shy away from those, being so small.  Not that I can't read small text, but having to squeeze all the info into such small screens makes the UIs a pain to use.

Been running the PC version at 1366x768.  Still have to click on cards to "blow them up" to larger size, but it's just those in-hand.  I can read the encounter cards alright. 

Not sure what max resolution is for it, since I've not tried it on my desktop with it's larger monitor.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on June 20, 2017, 03:28:58 PM

no, my cell phone

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2017, 04:06:52 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 20, 2017, 03:28:58 PM

no, my cell phone

How the hell could you manage that?   :o

Magnifying glass?  :D

I'd think it too small & cramped on all tablets, except those with the largest screens. 

GroggyGrognard

Thanks for the feedback.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on June 21, 2017, 08:34:14 AMI'd think it too small & cramped on all tablets, except those with the largest screens. 

and I agree with you!  that's why I took it off the phone until I get a chance to try it on my rarely-used tablets.

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 22, 2017, 05:36:56 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 21, 2017, 08:34:14 AMI'd think it too small & cramped on all tablets, except those with the largest screens. 

and I agree with you!  that's why I took it off the phone until I get a chance to try it on my rarely-used tablets.

Should be okay on a tablet.  Although you'll likely be doing some extra work zooming in & out on some of the cards.

Tpek

I play it on Tablet just fine.
It was, after all, originally designed for them.