Author Topic: Wild West Online  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt-at-Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
Wild West Online
« on: May 12, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »
Kickstarter is launching later this month. Dare I hope this could be the wild, wild west MMO I've been dreaming of for years???

http://www.pcgamer.com/wild-west-online-revealed/?utm_content=buffer569bc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"You have me confused with MetalDog. He's the stoner. I'm the drunk.".....Mirth

Offline FlickJax

• Viking
Re: Wild West Online
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »
I will give that a go; I still watch John Wayne over and over again :)

Offline bbmike

• Landsknecht
    • AAR Central
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »
Interesting, that looks coo! I love the western setting but hate MMOs.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt-at-Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

MMO's aren't my favorite but I did play WoW for years and before that, City of Heroes and even Everquest. As far back as EQ I was making comments that someone should do a Western. Now I have to hope it's more "Lonesome Dove" and less spaghetti western.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

Online JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »

Not only is Red Dead Redemption 2 coming for PC this time (and one suspects a port from XBox360 should be in the work for the excellent first game), but strong rumor is that Ubisoft intends to compete with their next Far Cry -- which would be very reasonable.
GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Me vs Barth -- DC1: Blitz

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline bbmike

• Landsknecht
    • AAR Central
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »

Not only is Red Dead Redemption 2 coming for PC this time (and one suspects a port from XBox360 should be in the work for the excellent first game), but strong rumor is that Ubisoft intends to compete with their next Far Cry -- which would be very reasonable.

I reckon I'll have to wait and see what my options are.  :cowboy:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

Offline AchillesLastStand

• Equites
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:16:01 AM »
Me wonders if ill be able to mosey up to the bar and order a sasparilla........

Offline DennisS

• Viking
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:14:45 AM »
This sounds like a griefer's paradise. Grab a rifle, and shoot anything that moves.

Online Toonces

• Longbowman
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:30:43 AM »
Me wonders if ill be able to mosey up to the bar and order a sasparilla........

Souix City sarsaparilla?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt-at-Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
This sounds like a griefer's paradise. Grab a rifle, and shoot anything that moves.

Too early to tell, however the article mentions a reputation system and how that would affect PC's. If it's Day Z set in the west, then I'm not interested. If however there is some legitimate tie-in with a character's actions and reputation, that could be workable.

Offline jamus34

• Viking
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 09:15:40 AM »
I really have no idea why rockstar never ported RDR to PC over Bully. I never finished it but it is an awesome game and visually astounding.
Insert witty comment here.

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »

Too early to tell, however the article mentions a reputation system and how that would affect PC's. If it's Day Z set in the west, then I'm not interested. If however there is some legitimate tie-in with a character's actions and reputation, that could be workable.

Hope it's Elite Dangersous set in the wild west.

Online JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
I really have no idea why rockstar never ported RDR to PC over Bully. I never finished it but it is an awesome game and visually astounding.

I finished (on PS3) and its quality continues through. (Also, albeit in some different ways, through the alternate ending zombie DLC campaign.)

Ditto -- never understood why they wouldn't bother. The code for the XB360 couldn't have been THAT much different from Windows, could it?  :-\ Must have been a licensing agreement.

But Bayonetta at last came to PC, in these latter days, so perhaps there is hope for other properties not intrinsically tied to only one platform. With RDR2 (which ought to be 0, I guess, since it's a prequel and not about foiling a Mexican attempt at invading the southern states during World War 1, which would have been unspeakably awesome, sigh) coming to PC out of the gate, Rockstar would be simply leaving money on the table not to issue a preliminary or parallel port now.
GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline bbmike

• Landsknecht
    • AAR Central
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:47 AM »
Jason, where did you see that RDR2 will be released for the PC? Their website only shows PS4 and Xbox One for preorder.
-Sherlock Holmes

Online JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »
.... ??? Well, I sure thought I saw it mentioned as PC. Maybe not immediately, consoles first? I'll look around.

Okay, originally it was promoted as being released for the PC, but either that was dropped or a misunderstanding or something. Confirmed not for PC.

Since I don't own a current-gen console, and it won't be out for the PS3, I'll be neverminding I guess.

...UBISOFT UBISOFT UBISOFT!!