Star Wars: Armada campaign 6-player final battle.

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, March 22, 2017, 11:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

FFG released a four to six player campaign system for Star Wars: Armada a few months back.  My local group decided to have a whack at it and we've been playing the 6 player game for the last couple months.  It's been pretty fun although it's sometimes been a bit difficult arrange meetings, matches, etc.  Anyway, when one side or the other gets to a certain points threshold, they can either continue on as normal and go for a points win or they can opt for an epic final assault on the other team's base and everyone fights it out in a massive 1500 vs 1500 point battle.  Naturally, we opted for this one and met up to play it today.

I was playing on the side of the Rebels and we pretty much got our asses handed to us throughout the entire campaign.  Today was no exception.  The Imperials had such an advantage in fleet strength (winners of battles can use points to buy upgrades for their ships and squadrons.  Losers get fewer points and must split them between upgrading and repairs) that it was likely a foregone conclusion.  Having said that, the battle was much closer than anyone suspected.

The Rebels lost in the end but they managed to take down the majority of the Imperial fleet.  Had it been a stand-alone battle, we would have won on points but this one was an all or nothing fight and there were just so---many----star destroyers out there.

Some random shots of the battle

Bison

I love the epic look of the battles for Armada.  Thanks for posting the pics.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Silent Disapproval Robot

Thanks.  It's a very fun game.  I much prefer it to X-Wing.  Sadly that's definitely a minority opinion as it's hard to line up a game of Armada whereas you usually end up fighting with all the X-Wing players just to get table space at any of the FLGS's here.

Cyrano

Neither system could ever be my "thing" -- far too much fiddle and sales-motivated customization -- but I am very pleased you have a good group to get together with do great intergalactic violence to one another.  Looks like great fun!

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bbmike

I wonder why they never came out with a Star Fleet Battles type game for Star Wars?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

acctingman

Thanks for the pics.

It's helping me decide which SW mini's game to get into.

I've heard Armada is a tad more expensive than X-Wing. Which line has more figures? (guess I can look online  :uglystupid2:)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Armada is quite a bit more expensive than X-Wing.  It also requires more table space (6x3 playing area vs 3x3 for X-Wing).   X-Wing has a lot more ships available and by far the larger player base.