Mass Effect Andromeda

Started by Tpek, March 21, 2017, 05:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Is anyone here playing the PC version?

I've been able to start playing early (Tuesday rather than Thursday), and so far it took me hours until I could reach a point to make a proper save game.

glen55

Quote from: Tpek on March 21, 2017, 05:54:05 PM
Is anyone here playing the PC version?

I've been able to start playing early (Tuesday rather than Thursday), and so far it took me hours until I could reach a point to make a proper save game.

Starting games out has never really been Bioware's strong point. Nothing as bad as Metal Gear Solid 5, though. The beginning of that game was sheer tortue for me.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

ghostryder

I was tempted but the game is really getting panned in reviews. Even Gamespot gave it a 6/10. Rock, Paper, shotgun said aside from bugs the game's writing is terrible, the characters uninteresting and the quests are boring. Holding a 75% on metacritic so take that for what it's worth. Bioware is getting bombarded in complaints and even some women who claimed to be lead facial animator on was getting attacked as well.

There's a clip showing how awful they are as well.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/18/14969390/mass-effect-andromeda-lead-animator-harassment

Kind of a shame as Mass effect is my favorite Bioware franchise and i was looking forward to it but i just can't see paying full price for what looks at best mediocre.

GibbyG

It came put today so everyone can start playing :)

I have about 8 hours in and so far it is OK.  I saw someone say that it is "Dragon Age:Inquisition in Space".  I would be happy with that.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Sheesh. Maybe I'll get something else.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

ghostryder

Lead designer hates white people and lead animator hates men. This could be the production crew of MSNBC  :uglystupid2:

Tpek

This explains why all the presets for Ryder are either Black or Japanese looking,
And it's nearly impossible to create a somewhat normal looking Ryder if you try to go for another ethnicity.

However it seems he hates women more than men.
The male characters still look normal.
For the female ones, good luck with trying to get/find an average looking character.

jomni

You guys are now feeling what minorities have been feeling for a long  time.  But it shouldn't matter as one should be open enough to play any race, gender, creature.

bbmike

Quote from: jomni on March 22, 2017, 04:59:23 AM
You guys are now feeling what minorities have been feeling for a long  time.

This argument gets used quite a bit and he uses it in his tirades against white people. And it's wrong. The goal isn't to re-direct racism, it's to eliminate it completely.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

ghostryder

Having worked on animation I can say for me it isn't easy. however barring engine limitations there are so many tools available that good animation as well as facial expressions really requires work and even someone with mediocre talents can get good results. Prior Mass Effect games used the Unreal engine so good results are hard to obtain but Andromeda uses the Frostbite engine and good results should be expected. So all in all what it really amounts to is 'work' that has yet to be done.

However results will still be limited because of cross platform limitations. They'll likely be aimed at the lowest common demoninator of a Xbox and PS4 and not use the power of the PC. You have to keep in mind the xbox can't even manage 1080p let alone the underpinnings of lighting, culling and a whole host of stuff that make animation stand out.

Pete Dero

Copy from Console Gaming

Bottom line of the video :

If you want more Mass Effect you probably will be OK.  If you want something that outshines the original trilogy you could have a bad time.

airboy

You guys are now feeling what minorities have been feeling for a long  time.  But it shouldn't matter as one should be open enough to play any race, gender, creature.

Jomni - don't most modern RPGs allow the player to craft about any look they want (male/female/hair/skin tone/ect......)?  Is it strange that a major racial category is difficult/impossible to model?

The major funding RPGs that I have played that were developed in the last six years all allowed your avatar(s) to be most any race or sex.  Skyrim, Fallout, Pillars of Eternity, etc......

Tpek

I am an ethnic minority, and this thing is an even greater insult than the usual old-school "only white, blonde, blue-eyed christian heroes".

Plus, the whole "It's okay for me to be racist, because the people I hate have racists too", is such a cliche by now, I'm not sure if even pure dumb racists take it seriously.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on March 22, 2017, 12:30:34 PM

I am an ethnic minority, and this thing is an even greater insult than the usual old-school "only white, blonde, blue-eyed christian heroes".

Plus, the whole "It's okay for me to be racist, because the people I hate have racists too", is such a cliche by now, I'm not sure if even pure dumb racists take it seriously.

Didn't you know Tpek, as a Jew, and an Israeli Jew no less, you are the root of the problem of white privilege. That's right...college intellectuals in the US believe that ending white privilege must begin with ending Jewish privilege.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31745/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18