For Tuna (or anyone else) looking into Mechwarrior Online

Started by JasonPratt, February 28, 2017, 05:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tuna on February 27, 2017, 02:24:13 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 27, 2017, 10:24:50 AM
You should get on the Dogs of War Teamspeak group, and flot up with Tuna, Nef, etc. (I'm not high enough tier yet for a proper flotilla I think...)

You'll get there soon enough. I probably have to check out this Mechanics Warrior world, you say that's free like WoW just pay if you want to advance quicker?

:2funny: at autocorrect.

There are differences naturally, but yes it's free to play. And not necessarily pay to win, although paying real money does advance quicker. (You can also pay real money for cosmetic bling.)

Comparisons with World of Warships:

1.) Matches are strictly multiplayer in MW0, no bots. There are some very very basic bots -- I mean AI, you know what I mean -- in the training academy missions, but not as I recall in the two missions that actually pay you game-money. Leading to the next comparison:

2.) The tutorials in MW0 are more hands-on and interactive. The first thing you should do after downloading, updating, and registering an account (but don't register until you're ready to play a while, so you can take advantage of premiums of course), is click the tutorial button. You'll get a nice interactive tutorial teaching you the controls, including two missions which will pay you around 5 million credits potentially. I say 'potentially' because the navigation mission is timed and you can score less than gold, but if you do go back and try again: the gold standard isn't hard to get, and the payout is better. 5 million credits is enough to buy a crappy medium mech, or a decent light mech, or two (or maybe even three) cheap light mechs. (The latter is the route I took because I've got a lot of personal experience with the system going back to Mechwarrior 2 twenty years ago, and to some Battletech games before that.)

Once the "Academy" unlocks in the tutorial, you should immediately leave it and start fighting matches in the first mechs you're given, so as not to waste premium time. Don't buy new mechs yet either, since messing with them will waste premium time and none of your first mechs will come with permanent income/xp boosts. Bringing us to the next comparison:

3.) In WoWarships, the cruisers are the starting line and everything else is a development from them; but you can also level up your cruisers to new chassis. So they start you with free Tier 1 (lowest) cruisers from each of the nations, which are nearly trash that cannot be upgraded far. When you upgrade you switch to new chassis automatically. You can upgrade, let's say, a Tier 2 German Dresden Cruiser a little but mostly that's meant as paths to open up battleships and destroyers and cruisers which are NOT Dresdens.

In Mechwarrior, there are four weight classes and two nationalities (Inner Sphere, or IS; and Clan. These have sub-factions and in other Battletech games those sub-factions can make a difference in how mech types are used and kitted up, but in MW those preferences among factions are ignored.) The game gives you SIXTEEN absolutely free mechs, with their own permanent mech bays, four from each weight class, split between IS and Clan among each four. (Two IS lights, two Clan lights, etc.) The game developers will even switch them out every few months so you get fresh mechs to play with. Not only that, you earn cash and experience with permanent boosts on those mechs; and you can use them in a mercenary career. The only drawback is that you cannot customize them in any way. If one of these "stock" mechs has pulse lasers and you don't like pulse lasers, too bad.

These sixteen stock mechs are what you should use for the first 25 (I think) "cadet" missions (which give you flat but slowly decreasing bonus cash after every mission), and the first (I think) 48 hours of premium xp and cash bonuses which stack with other bonuses as usual. Once that's over, you'll have earned a ton of cash, and can buy a few higher grade mechs than with your initial 5 million credits, or maybe more importantly you can afford to kit some cheaper mechs better. I think you only start with two empty mech bays, though, and each permanently owned mech needs one. (Strictly speaking you also have the first 16 bays but they're always filled with the assigned stock mechs of the month or quarter.) Mech bays might cost real money, though not a lot of it; I'm away from my home computer and can't recall. Anyway, this leads to the next comparison:

4.) As noted, kit upgrades in WoWarsh (and WoTanks, and some other MOBA games) are few and really meant to advance you to more powerful chassis as you leave or sell off the older or less powerful ones. You might keep a Tier 3 cruiser to help your friends as new players, but ideally you're wanting to play the better tier ships.

Tiers in MWO are actually player ranks. By far most players are Tier 5, the lowest rank (and it isn't altogether clear how to advance in Tiers, other than by win percentage which can be reaalllly hard to overcome). What does this mean? Absolutely nothing really, other than some costly custom options are locked out. Those custom options don't make a lot of difference to the game, though.

What does make a lot of difference to the game are the basic customization options that have been the heart of Mechwarrior (and Battletech) since its inception. (That's a lore pun: the first official Battletech game was "the Crescent Hawk's Inception", which was kind of a tactical RPG.) These are legion, and start with the chassis.

Literally the only difference between weight classes is weight: an assault mech is only in the assault class because it weighs 80 to 100 tons. It could be totally outfitted with machine guns, whereas a light mech (if sufficiently heavy within its class ) might run around sporting one huge artillery piece. There are dozens of chassis, and they are all totally viable from the moment you buy them until forever: if you buy a Centurion medium mech at the start, you can play that one mech forever and adjust its weapons and engine perhaps. That would be kind of a mistake, because Centurions are regarded as quite meh chassis to work with by fan consensus, but you could do that. (I own one for specific reasons based on wanting a cheap medium-sized gun platform.) Weights are really the maximum weight a chassis can carry (including its own structural weight), and for game purposes are treated as hard limits: not one tenth of a ton more than 50, Centurion! The minimum weight for any mech would be, I suppose, the smallest XL engine possible for that chassis plus the minimum heat sinks plus exotic structure and armor composites.

Each chassis looks different, and (kind of similar to warships) those looks aren't altogether cosmetic: a gun mounted low on the right side will have trouble shooting left around a corner and/or over a hilltop. Each chassis also has at least three or four common variants, plus (probably) one or two premium variants (which cost real money -- a few chassis have no premium variant currently.) These variants will have different engines and weapon loadouts on purchase, but those can (usually) be swapped out with other things. (Some "Clan" mechs cannot have their engines swapped out; most mechs that have jump jets can have those removed but not all.) The different variants within a chassis will also have varying "quirks", so a KitFox-A may have a 2% gun reload speed bonus along with up to six or seven other little quirks. (I made up that example, but that's the gist.) But a KitFox-C will have a different set of quirks, which may or may not include that gun reload bonus.

Anyway. Basic customization options. All these things are purchased with in-game (not real) money, and once you buy them you get free repairs or replacements. If an engine gets blown up you don't have to pay for another one, you'll get it for free -- BUT so long as an item is assigned to a mech, another mech can't use it. (Which I think is pretty dumb, unless a battle is still going on and you're knocked out early. If you can manually take stuff off a mech and switch it to another mech, the computer should be able to do that automatically. In past games that was done, but not in MWO.)

A.) Engine: a mech will always be bought with an engine, but you can (usually) decide to take it out and put in another. Engines cost game money, and lotttssss of it! More powerful engines generate more heat and also more top speed (forward and reverse) and acceleration. They also weigh increasingly more, and there will be limits to how large (and how small!) an engine will fit into any particular chassis. "XL" engines cost more than regular engines of the same horsepower, and take up more room on the mech, but weigh a lot less. Larger engines start to have slots for heat sinks, which leads to:

B.) Heat sinks: their implementation has varied in past games, but in this game they're an item that fits into any slot anywhere on the mech (although in the engine and on the legs is best, if possible). Mech operations generate heat, especially with the weapons (and taking weapon fire, especially laser fire). Your mech will shut down until it cools off a little if it gets too hot (or blow up if you turn off the limiters to keep operating a few seconds more). Each mech needs a minimum number to operate at all. You do have to buy heat sinks, and they are an item mounted on the mech. They can be destroyed in a fight, affecting your cooling ability (but are replaced for free after the fight). They never weigh more than a ton, but you can get double-sized sinks that cost twice as much and take up two instead of one slot with 40% more cooling than two sinks in those slots. (You cannot mix single and double sinks, which is also dumb.)

While I'm talking about slots, I'll talk about slots a minute!

Each mech chassis type has eight main areas: left and right arms; left and right torso; left and right legs; center torso; and head. These each have variable numbers of slots, depending on the chassis, with larger mechs naturally having more slots. Larger items take up more than one slot, usually also getting heavier although sometimes the larger item is actually lighter. You can also buy upgrades to armor and structure (and the engine) which will be 'larger' and so take up (automatically assigned) slots, but weigh less.

Each main area also has armor, sometimes both front and back. Armor doesn't cost anything to take off or put on, and each chassis (and chassis variant) has an integral maximum armor amount which is split (sometimes in different ways between variants) between maximum area amounts. You can take off points of armor to try to lose some weight to put on more things elsewhere, or fill out remaining tonnage with extra armor if your chassis doesn't start with maximums for some reason. Another thing that can be put in slots, on the torso and leg areas, is:

C.) Jump jets: not all mech chassis can get these, or even all variants in a chassis that can! Usually (but not always) they can be removed (and sold for spare parts if you want, or swapped to other mechs that can use them). Jump jets come in at least five thrust categories, and I think a chassis can only use one kind integrally. They do cost money to buy. One jump jet by itself might barely count as a towel parachute when leaping off a cliff! (You can damage mechs this way; also destroy other mechs if you land on their head, including from a jump!) They naturally generate a lot of heat, which can shut down your mech. You don't have to worry about fuel for jets (or in other regards): they run on a plasma charge built up in a capacitor on the mech, that refills pretty quickly and automatically. The computer will vocally warn you when you're at 20% remaining, and the capacitor drains fast. They're great for softening a long fall, and lots of them can propel a mech high into the air to get to areas where you can hide and/or shoot. You can also totally destroy your mech by jumping too high and having no capacitor charge to soften your landing! (You can also totally destroy other mechs by jumping onto their head, typically, although this is very hard to do. In prior MW games there was a dedicated down-camera view for helping to aim this, but not in MWO.)

I haven't talked much about destroying the enemy yet, except by jumping on their heads, so: all mech weapons come down to three types, guns, missiles, and lasers. These can all be bought with in-game (not real) money, and they all fit into slots somewhere on the mech's torso or arms. (The head can have one or more slot, but in MWO I don't think weapons or anything else like that can go there. Heat sinks can and ammo and sensors and various "expansions" to armor and structure. Ditto the legs. Previous games sometimes allowed small weapons on the head.)

However, those areas or modules of the mech come hard wired with specific hardpoints or connections for potential weapon types. If an arm (for example) doesn't have one of those hardpoints, you can't mount weapons (offensive or defensive) there at all; if all it has is a gun hardpoint, you can mount one and only one gun there -- but it can be any size (if you have the open slots available). If it has two gun points and a laser point, you cannot mount a missile shooter there. You can mount ammunition of any kind, but not the weapon unless there's a hardpoint.

Some Clan mechs are special Omnimechs, which in this game means their area modules can be switched out (the modules are bought with in-game cash into your inventory) to mix and match your hardpoints more flexibly. You might buy an omnimech that only has missile hardpoints, and switch out its area modules to only have guns! -- but its "quirks" are likely to favor missiles anyway.

"Clan" weapons can only be mounted on "Clan" chassis, and ditto for IS. The Clans have more weapon variants, and their weapons will be superior to IS in some ways while inferior in others. A Clan AC2 will shoot farther and with a faster reload than an IS AC2, but it generates more heat and weighs more, for example.

Any weapons mounted on the arms can be aimed 'beyond' the turning arc of your torso for the appropriate arm. Arms can be shot completely off. Legs can be shot off, too; the mech can hop along slowly on one leg, but both legs shot off will functionally destroy it. (In this game the 'legs' never actually get shot off physically.)

To the weapons then!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

(Part 2 of 2)

D.) Guns: these shoot kinetic rounds. (Theoretically they have a small explosive warhead, but in practice not really.) This means they generate not much heat when shot, although naturally more for larger calibers; and they damage exactly what they hit with little splash damage. They're like cannons in WoTank or WoWarsh, but you can only have armor piercing rounds. They do need ammo, and the ammo cases have to be bought, but like other basic components they're rebuilt and/or replaced for free between matches. Once you buy an ammo case, it's yours forever -- you can't resell it, but you can sell the gun. Ammo always takes up one slot at one ton, with the number of shells in a case reducing as the caliber gets larger. Propellent in the shells can explode inside your mech if they get breached. Shells are represented physically in flight in the game, and although they're fast they aren't as fast as light (of course). They can hit other things on the way in and be blocked. Guns have the fastest reload (all weapon reload/recharges are automatic) for their damage, and generate the least heat for their damage output per shot, but weigh more for their damage. You must manually aim guns.

Since the game mechanics are still based on pen-and-paper-and-calculators run by humans, the kinetic damage of the guns is overly simplified. They ought to have maximum damage at point-blank range and then taper off over distance to practically nothing; instead all guns have a flat maximum damage out to an optimum range after which they quickly slope off. So a 2-point damage gun will do two points of damage one meter away or 700 meters away, but at 701 meters the damage starts to drop off until it reaches zero at the maximum range of 1200 meters (or whatever). The shells do have ballistic drop and related characteristics, but the mech computers compensate so a long distance shot will automatically arc properly to hit where the recticle points.

The guns come in various flavors, all of which are technically autocannons (though only some are called autocannons or AC). All guns, like all the weapons, will shoot as fast as they reload for as long as your trigger is pulled.

Machine guns do the least damage and have the shortest range, and eat rounds the fastest, but their damage output per second is very high and they generate no heat (as far as the game is concerned). In earlier games it wasn't a bad idea to load up an assault mech with lots of armor, the largest engine, and machine guns, and run up to surprised opponents to melt their face off with machine guns!

Autocannons (AC) are the bread and butter. They're rated in shell caliber, which in game terms translates to damage: an AC2 has a 2" shell (or proportionately small compared to other guns) and does 2 points of damage per shell. The smaller calibers (2 being the smallest, 20 the largest) have the longest range, and quickest reload times.

LBX Autocannons are the shotguns, but some actually outrange their normal AC variants! They travel as a solid shell but fragment upon proximity, spreading damage over a larger area of the target.

Ultra-Autocannons pack multiple barrels into the space of one barrel. They're more expensive and weigh more, and naturally generate more heat, but an UltraAC2, for example, can punch out 6 damage as fast as an AC2 can punch out 2. The IS only has one UltraAC type, the UAC5; the Clans have Ultras in all calibers. (Clan Ultra AC2s are my personal favorite weapon; and arguably the best weapon in the game. It can throw 6 damage out to 700 meters literally as fast as a human can pull the trigger: bangbangbangbangbangbang) Ultras are the only gun that can jam, however, and this happens frequently (as a balancing factor to offset their ludicrous damage output per second). Jams recover automatically. Ultras need special ammo cases, but they're packed with two or three times the normal AC ammo so they don't actually run out faster: an Ultra20 will have the same shots per case as a normal AC20 for example. I expect if the cases detonate inside your mech, they do proportionately more damage.

Older versions of the game had a rotary AC in some small calibers, but MWO doesn't (yet).

Gauss Rifles are an alternative to large ACs. These are rail guns. They don't have propellant and so their cases can't be internally detonated due to damage, and their ammo arrives as fast as a laser (for all practical purposes). A lot of people are fond of Gausses, but they take up a lot of slots and weight, and they don't reload quickly. In my opinion (based on math) the Clan Light Gauss Rifle is the best high-damage weapon in the game, but I don't recall if MWO has it yet. (I don't even recall clearly if the Clans can get Light Gauss, or only the IS!)

E.) Missiles: these are the high-explosive weapons (with a little kinetic punch, too), which spreads damage farther around than other weapons. They generate more heat upon firing than guns thanks to their rocket propellants. They naturally fly slower than shells, too. They don't weigh as much as guns for the damage, but they also reload slower for relative damage than either guns or lasers. Missiles come in basically two flavors (not counting IS and Clan variations per type), long range and short range. Long range are always guided, and Clan LRMs have no minimum activation distance so they can be shot like SRMs. The Clans also have access to guided short range missiles called Streaks; their tubes are heavier and need more reloading time than normal SRM (not counting lockon times, but they can be shot like regular SRMs). Missiles do exactly one point of damage each, regardless if they're long or short. (The game ignores unused propellant and outside its range the explosive warhead doesn't explode. It's a pen-and-paper game translation. Short range explosions CAN damage the shooting mech however!) SRMs come in 2, 4, and 6 packs. LRMs come in 5, 10, 15, and 20 packs. (All SRMs use SRM ammo, ditto LRMs, regardless of the pack size.) Smaller packs of tubes take up fewer slots and weigh less and reload faster. A lot of people (myself included) love missiles, although naturally the LRMs and SRMs play quite differently: SRMs are effectively shotguns, LRMS are the front line artillery. I have a small Clan Kit Fox geared up with four LRM5s and plenty of ammo along with some targeting packages, and it runs around at 90+km/h shooting like I crammed one huge LRM20 on it -- except vomiting missiles four times as fast as any LRM20! Basically I'm shooting the equivalent of 80 points of missile damage from four LRM20s in a sequential fire. It's a tiny rainbow of death. (This is the kind of hacky thing you can get into if you study weapon properties.) SRMs, however, are (in my mathematical estimate) better weapons, and I'd say the SRM2 is the best missile weapon in the game. You just need a tanky fast mech to get close enough to use a large batch of them. But tanky mechs aren't very fast.

There's another type of missile called the Anti-Missile System which is purely defensive and will quite reliably shoot down any missiles (friend or foe) entering its 90 meter range, so it can be good for shielding a friend, too. It has to be put on a special hardpoint, and uses its own special ammo, but it works automatically. (Unless you turn it off to keep it from messing up nearby offensive missiles.)

Finally, there's a missile called a NARC, which also uses its own ammo (although it can use any standard missile hardpoint), which simply tacks to a mech if it strikes and sends out a radio signal for a minute or two so that the mech can't hide, and will also get missile locks against it better.

Beyond this, missiles (and I think NARCS?) can be bought (for both Clan and IS) in special "Artemis" system packages, which need their own special ammo packs, and special tube packs which take up twice as many slots. These are supposedly more accurate (and I think new to the MW franchise) but I'm not personally convinced after a lot of testing that the cost and slot difference is worth it.

F.) Lasers: like it says on the tin, lasers shoot amplified light beams. A lot of people love lasers, and Clan Extended Range Medium lasers are one of the top 5 best weapons in the game (along with Clan small lasers) in my opinion. They naturally generate more shooting heat than any other weapon, and impact heat, too -- one type of weapon subsumed under this class shoots flame instead of lasers, with the specific purpose of trying to overheat enemy mechs! They recharge for their damage faster than equivalent missile damages, but not as fast as equivalent guns. They tend to weigh the least and take up fewer slots for their relative damage, too; but (except for PPCs) they have the worst range for their relative damage, and like guns their power declines to nothing after an optimal range. They have to be manually guided, and but most lasers (in MWO, which is a new feature to the game's history) dump their damage slowly over a second or two (depending on size, larger lasers lasting longer), meaning you can walk your target across various modules or adjust for a miss to get some good from the shot. Pulse lasers throw the damage out in a quicker beam, but don't give you as much opportunity to adjust your aim; they also generate a lot more heat and weigh more than normal lasers. (They also need longer to recharge.) Lasers are the only weapon that doesn't need ammunition, which is a huge selling point, since you not only don't have to worry about running out of ammo in a long fight but you also don't have to spend tons of weigh on ammo and don't have to worry about internal ammo explosions. There is a special type of laser weapon, not really a "laser", called a PPC: it's a particle cannon although I don't recall what the middle "P" means. Its beam travels as fast as a gun shell, but it hits with a lot of heat as well as damage and can cause some scrambling to target electronics like a brief EMP. There is also a medium-ranged laser called a "Tag" which does no damage but helps missile systems lock on to the target. It's super-tricky to make work, but it scores a lot of points for proper usage in a fight!

G.) ECM: this is the last type of hardpoint, for an electronic counter-measure package. (Clan and IS have faction varieties, but otherwise an ECM is an ECM.) They shield mechs in a surrounding bubble from electronic detection, and so against guided missiles, too, although enemy sensors can burn through the ECM at short distances (and more effectively if various things are added). They also can be flipped manually during a fight at any time, back and forth, to counter ECM instead. They do not require ammo, and don't weigh much, and I think only need one slot.

H.) Last in the basic customization options are detection packages. The ECM also counts as detection (in its "counter" mode), but it needs a special hardpoint to be mounted; these can mount in any empty slot(s). The IS and Clan both have probes which extend sensor ranges and enhance target locks. They work automatically and don't need ammo, but they do need two slots. The Clan (I don't recall the IS) also has Targeting Computers which help all three kinds of weapons in various ways, and also help improve the normal zoom feature all mechs have. ("Advanced Zoom" costs real money and unlocks with upper tiers, I think. It uses a special set of slots for paid and/or one-usage consumables like airstrikes and off-map artillery. Targeting Computers help it, too.) Targeting computers can get quite large, and take up a lot of slots. Aside from helping with the zoom, I'm not convinced they add enough benefit to be worth the cost, weight, and slots they take up.

Those are the basic customization options; the ones that don't cost real money, only game-money. All mech chassis can be bought with real money, too (and game-money can be bought with real money). There are some other practical customizations which can only be bought with game or real money as you rank up (which is very difficult), like air strikes and off-map arty, also drone scouts (which can be shot down! All mechs also have an indestructible free drone that can be released to follow them around for 3rd person view, and the drone can be seen floating just behind the mech by other players which is unsettling at first!) All cosmetics are real-money I think.

Players can form permanent groups for random battles, but it costs increasing amounts of in-game money to add players to merc groups for the "campaign" battles (of IS vs Clan across the galaxy). Campaign battles work a lot like random ones. Random battles feature the usual formats (team skirmish, king of the hill, resource capping, base capping), on about two dozen maps currently. (They really need to add more maps, but to their credit the devs work hard at adding new mechs on a regular basis.) Players (including in squads) are randomly assigned to sides (though in "faction" fights you're restricted to Clan vs IS hardware), 12 mechs to a side (in one company), four mechs to a "lance" (three lances to a company). Players can take command of lances and companies, and this does give some coordination benefits (especially where players don't have mikes). The system tries to balance team tonnage, but not necessarily matching numbers of assault, heavy, medium, and light chassis.

Faction fights will either be scouting or invasion. (There's a new mode called siege coming, too.) Scouting you bring one mech (lights or small mediums preferred) in two four-mech teams, to run around the map picking up data pods, and then the offensive team scoots back to a pickup area where their ship will shoot at enemies for extraction (this is still necessary even if the offensive team kills off the defense, and I've almost missed the ship leaving by one second!) Wins at scouting pay better than normal missions and set up benefits in "invasion" mode for the same planet.

In an Invasion, each player brings along four mechs, which function like respawns -- and you can use the free "stock" mechs, too. The game modes are randomly the same as in random battles, but each side has a wide drop point with staggered high indestructible walls where players are brought in and brought back by dropship. It is entirely possible for a squad of mechs to get inside an enemy drop area and camp there murdering incoming players as they drop! (This is frowned on by some players but I think it's a fair enough tactic, even though I've only had it happen to my side! If they get that far, they've basically won the game anyway.)

Annnnnnnnd that's all you need to know for a comparison between MWO and other multiplayer online battle arenas.

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Nefaro

I haven't played since before they added the Clan mechs.  Didn't like the way they were added to the meta of the tabletop long ago; wasn't a fan.  So I just expected them to also be a similarly imbalanced mess in MWO.  But I'll eventually give MWO another shot and see how it turned out.

When I do, I will have to set aside an hour to read up on your posts in this thread, JP.  That's a lot of raw info, just like we likes it.  :))

bayonetbrant

New rule - all of Pratt's posts are limited to a single haiku
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 28, 2017, 09:51:55 PM
New rule - all of Pratt's posts are limited to a single haiku

A single post made

About Batman or Kaiju

Too long didn't read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

That's outstanding, mirth

Not to put too fine a point

Shortest is sweetest
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MikeGER

Jason Not Bourne

Voorhees comes to my mind

my intellect splatters

^-^

-on topic -

mech warrior online

a world of warship comparisons

both go Boom!

Destraex

Did he mention the population levels and auto-match problems? Especially with regard to group drops.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Father Ted

A mate of mine encouraged me to try this a few months back , but I never made it past the tutorial.  Whilst the action in the game seemed fun, when I realized that it was really about all the stuff that Jason has described, I knew I wouldn't have the patience/time to get involved.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on March 01, 2017, 04:28:29 AM
Did he mention the population levels and auto-match problems? Especially with regard to group drops.

I haven't seen those being a problem. Perhaps because I'm only in Tier 5 (like most people)?

JasonPratt

Loquacity is
also an art form sometimes.
Too long then don't read.  :nerd:

JasonPratt

(Incidentally,
most paragraphs in novel?
Rather short poems.)  ^-^

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2017, 06:31:04 PM
I haven't played since before they added the Clan mechs.  Didn't like the way they were added to the meta of the tabletop long ago; wasn't a fan.  So I just expected them to also be a similarly imbalanced mess in MWO.

Rather more balanced
than I myself expected.
I.S. still feels weak.

Don't blame them really:
lore is important, too. But
I.S. can't out-spam.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers