Old games you wish were remade / updated

Started by jamus34, February 12, 2017, 04:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

So seeing solops post for Epidemic on Gus's Plague Inc thread I was wondering what games people would like to see modernized. There are of new games / imaginings that get close but don't have the feel of it.

A personal couple of favorites are:

The Roadwar series (Roadwar 2000, Roadwar Europa) - imagine a mashup of the internal politics of CKII with a Mad Max vibe and a open world / world conquering of say Mount and Blade.

Autoduel / Car Wars - I guess Convoy kinda has the feel of it but it is more roguelike rather than open world.

The old EA / Interplay RPG's (Bards Tale, Wasteland, Legacy of the Ancients, The Mars Saga, Dragon Wars) - I mean I guess this style / type of game has faded into obscurity but dammit sometimes I don't want to learn 20 different systems for a game...just give me something I can sit down and play.

Red Storm Rising - Proof positive that you can build a great game with minimal graphics (didn't even need the weapon animations) as long as the UI affords enough feedback to the user. I wish devs would learn this lesson better...although the deluge of indie titles has helped.

Anyway - there's my relative shortlist.
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

Imperialism! Starflight! Alpha Centauri! Birth of the Federation! There's a ton more if I really try and think about it.  :D

[edit]Soldiers at War!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

^I have very similar tastes to you jamus and would to see any of those you mentioned redone.

I was thinking about this a few days ago while playing Metal Gear Solid V and how it felt, to me, like a redone Airborne Ranger on steroids.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

stolypin

Age of Rifles.

(Unfortunately, as someone reported years ago, the code has been lost).

mirth

Knights of the Old Republic - not as a stupid MMORPG.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2017, 04:30:43 PM
^I have very similar tastes to you jamus and would to see any of those you mentioned redone.

I was thinking about this a few days ago while playing Metal Gear Solid V and how it felt, to me, like a redone Airborne Ranger on steroids.

Oh yeah completely forgot the old Microprose games...A show of hands how many people accidently lit off a law rocket too close to a bunker and got blower up?

Gunship and F19 stealth fighter were also goodies
Insert witty comment here.

undercovergeek

There's the new sub game that's supposed to be the new red storm rising

FlickJax

As above age of rifles, steel panthers, DRAGON force, sword of aragon

Jarhead0331

Emperor of the Fading Suns
Terra Nova
M1 Tank Platoon 2
Gunship 2000
All of the Jane's titles
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Lords of midnight using the total war system

SirAndrewD

Tie Fighter
X-Wing
Age of Rifles

I'd pretty much be set with those.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

FlickJax