Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(

Started by Destraex, January 26, 2017, 09:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/war-of-the-roses-shutting-down.995096/

I loved this game very much and even after they dumbed the armour system down. It was so historical and the physics system was great.
Compared to it's rival chivalry it was amazing. RIP War of the Roses... a great shame war of the vikings killed you.

Could Mordhau be a replacement?

(mod edit: fixed Youtube embedding.  Please see info here)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

HoodedHorseJoe

Such a shame. I previewed/reviewed both Roses and Vikings when they were doing the rounds. They were actually pretty good games - Roses was very skill based... Vikings less so I think but I played that less than I played Roses, oddly enough.

They didn't capture the mainstream appeal I think Paradox hoped though - Chivalry kind of beat them to the punch I think.

Shame they're taking it down completely though - not even private servers will be able to run. It's like they're erasing it from existence.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Nefaro

War Of The Roses was dead years ago.

Back when people started using ridiculous speed hacks to fly around the map in a blur.  The developers didn't stop it in time.  Hell.. AFAIK they never did prevent all the blatant cheats being used in the game.  Instead implementing some extra micro-transactions nonsense.

I saw server populations drop in no time when it became a regularity.   Never recovered.  Surprised it took this long for them to pull the plug. 

Destraex

War of the Roses is still played and their are still private servers paid and operating that will have to get refunds from multiplay who host them simply because the backend and anti-cheat are being taken down.

War of the Roses is still the best medieval combat game I have seen published and working but they screwed the pooch on a number of levels because they did not seem to have a good common plan on direction and some basic necessities. It's almost like their initial success took them by surprise. I noticed.

i) Blocking delay
ii) Slow getting local servers for Australia where I am
iii) Anti-cheat - there was none for a very long time.
iv) They were successful enough that I seem to remember them renaming the game and relaunching it after taking it in-house and getting rid of fatshark and then gordon van dyke (the producer?) moved on.
v) They changed a good historical combat system half way through the game dumbing the game down essentially to get rid of a knight in armours advantage. People were complaining they could not slash through armour with swords. Instead they just needed something more akin to RO2's system of limiting classes. Instead of dumbing down Machine guns ro2 simply only allowed the historical number per squad/section.
vi) Slow getting rid of exploits like when people were literally taking advantage of the realism by killing fully armour knights by cutting their leather shoes... aiming for the floor and killing them with one blow through the shoe!
vii) Slow to balance weapons and kit. 
Viii) Then their was the whole new age female face in game. What a waste of resources.

Apart from this the game was great and I had many great physics base duels in it. Loved that you could aim for different parts of the body and that if they were covered by different types of protection that was taken into account. The weapons and armour 3D models were absolutely amazing and well researched. I doubt we will see their like again in a game. The historical setting alone was done very well and I felt like I was in a medieval battle in some maps. The voice overs were also very good.

Somebody needs to preserve Brian Blesseds voice overs before the game dies!
BTW they are open to selling the IP but claim this is not them but some shadowy fellow in the background?

P.S. The only micro transaction I remember was the Brian Blessed voice overs that if you purchased replaced the standard ones? What were the other ones?

Toonces

WotR was great until the introduced microtransactions.  Between that and the hacking, the game was almost unplayable.  I never could get into Chivalry; WotR was the far superior game IMO.

Of Kings and Men is a nice alternative, although I haven't played it in quite a while, so not sure what its current status is.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

I played both and loved both. I played more Chivalry once the WOTR population went away.
WOTR had serious lagging when you're playing with high pings.  Chivalry not so much and much more fluid.

Destraex

I just could not get into the massive swing mentality of chivalry and the initial "have to swing one way first" mechanic. You could literally swing through armour. It was not really a combat system but a simple game.
I could also not get over the bad animations and even worse armour mish mash. I did try.
Has it improved?

Destraex

Well the IP is for sale. But I doubt a dead game is worth anything to anybody unless somebody can tap into the great potential of this game with another dev team.

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on January 26, 2017, 06:49:28 PM
I just could not get into the massive swing mentality of chivalry and the initial "have to swing one way first" mechanic. You could literally swing through armour. It was not really a combat system but a simple game.
I could also not get over the bad animations and even worse armour mish mash. I did try.
Has it improved?

If you're going for accuracy, Chivalry isn't your game.

Destraex

The problem is, I cannot find a suitable replacement.
It feels like apart from you guys here. I am almost on my own in the appreciation of realistic games.

Philippe

Quote from: Destraex on January 29, 2017, 06:46:01 AM
The problem is, I cannot find a suitable replacement.

Mount and Blade with the 1429 la Guerre de Cent Ans mod?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Toonces

I was also going to suggest Mount and Blade, which I'm sure you're aware of.  For some online fun, I highly recommend jumping onto one of the siege servers, especially if there are more than 100 people on.  It's total mayhem.

You also might want to look at Of Kings and Men.

Mount and Blade has about a million mods, and has the added advantage of having robust single player.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Cyrano

Hey, guys, you do know M&B has a NAPOLEONIC mod, right?

O:-)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Destraex

I have mount and blade napoleon but their was not enough of a game their to keep me interested. I mean not enough napoleonic style warfare. Formations and such. I am sure their are servers out there that do it. My son plays it religiously and loves it to death.

Of kings and men is too gamey I think.

Mount and blade I might try again. But it looks horrible as do the animations. The fighting system is ok but pretty basic.

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on January 29, 2017, 05:47:35 PM
I have mount and blade napoleon but their was not enough of a game their to keep me interested. I mean not enough napoleonic style warfare. Formations and such. I am sure their are servers out there that do it. My son plays it religiously and loves it to death.

Of kings and men is too gamey I think.

Mount and blade I might try again. But it looks horrible as do the animations. The fighting system is ok but pretty basic.

You want to try out Tiger Knight? But it's Asian themed.

Edit: Oops. I think you are already playing it.