Carrier Deck (announced at Matrixgames)

Started by steve58, December 07, 2016, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Interesting, but not sure its my cup-o-tea...

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm... but can you manage the deck of the Nimitz-class nuclear powered supercarrier, the USS Ronald Regan (CVN-76)?

Carrier Deck is a fast paced time management game where you will play as the Air Officer on board a CVN-76 in the midst of active war.

Load the right planes and helicopters up and ready them for the required military missions. Manage both launching and landing the planes, avoiding crashes that could spread throughout the deck wrecking multiple planes and damaging the ship.

Test your skills in a full spectrum of operations across the globe in extensive campaign mode, or just try the Skirmish mode for a quick challenge.

Carrier Deck will be released on PC and Steam. It is now entering its beta, so if you want to take part in it please apply here. We need motivated beta testers and your support and feedback would be extremely appreciated!

Like what you see? Let us know your first impressions on the forum!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/680/details/Carrier.Deck

Features:

1. Full management of the flight deck incl, moving, fueling and arming of aircraft
2. Aircraft maintenance and management of the hangar deck
3. Selecting and launching of search missions to detect enemy air, surface and submarine threats
4. Tasking and launching of intercept missions
5. Special Forces deployment and Amphibous operations
6. Ground strikes and close air support missions
7. Receiving and dispatching cargo missions
8. Full range of aircraft and helicopters onboard from fighters to early warning and detection aircraft.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in!  :notworthy:

glen55

Quote from: steve58 on December 07, 2016, 02:14:47 PM
Interesting, but not sure its my cup-o-tea...

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm... but can you manage the deck of the Nimitz-class nuclear powered supercarrier, the USS Ronald Regan (CVN-76)?

Carrier Deck is a fast paced time management game where you will play as the Air Officer on board a CVN-76 in the midst of active war.

Load the right planes and helicopters up and ready them for the required military missions. Manage both launching and landing the planes, avoiding crashes that could spread throughout the deck wrecking multiple planes and damaging the ship.

Test your skills in a full spectrum of operations across the globe in extensive campaign mode, or just try the Skirmish mode for a quick challenge.

Carrier Deck will be released on PC and Steam. It is now entering its beta, so if you want to take part in it please apply here. We need motivated beta testers and your support and feedback would be extremely appreciated!

Like what you see? Let us know your first impressions on the forum!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/680/details/Carrier.Deck

Features:

1. Full management of the flight deck incl, moving, fueling and arming of aircraft
2. Aircraft maintenance and management of the hangar deck
3. Selecting and launching of search missions to detect enemy air, surface and submarine threats
5. Special Forces deployment and Amphibous operations
6. Ground strikes and close air support missions
7. Receiving and dispatching cargo missions
8. Full range of aircraft and helicopters onboard from fighters to early warning and detection aircraft.

Sounds interesting! Also sounds like you have no control over where this vessel goes, i.e., a static campaign. I don't mind that, though, so long as it's well-done and has variability to encourage replay.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Zulu1966

Sounds different but if you are just managing the taking off and landing bit then it seems like the interesting bit about fighting and blowing stuff up is not actually part of the game. Controlling a carrier sounds very interesting but if it's just the admin side of getting planes out and in it would lose its legs pretty quickly.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

JasonPratt

Quote3. Selecting and launching of search missions to detect enemy air, surface and submarine threats

The other things could just be routing missions assigned by the 'admiral' and/or 'captain' (for operational and local tactics respectively). Those two sound like you're choosing the local missions.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM

Yeah.  I thought modern CVN flight deck operations were run using Excel macros written in Visual Basic, anyways?

besilarius

Being Air Boss can be very stressful.  There are all kinds of things happening on the flight deck that you have to rely on the trained crew to perform properly and safely.
Earlier this year an arresting wire snapped and some of the crew were  hurt very badly.
You probably won't read this anywhere, but during Vietnam, the Air Traffic Controller off North Vietnam was Red Crown.
One carrier, had a break in it's ops when a senior airman (possibly the Air Boss, I never heard) slashed his wrists and jumped off the flight deck with a, "I can't take it anymore."
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

^Jesus.

I don't think I've seen another game modeling the same things. Intriguing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM

Someone ship this man off to Iwo, please!   :))

Nefaro

Quote from: besilarius on December 07, 2016, 06:17:56 PM
You probably won't read this anywhere, but during Vietnam, the Air Traffic Controller off North Vietnam was Red Crown.

Wasn't "Red Crown" typically a missile cruiser on radar picket duty, running the show up north?

Staggerwing

I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.

Disco soda glow sticks.

jomni

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM

Just to please the kiddies.

BanzaiCat

There's all kinds of ATC-type aircraft sims out there where you play the control tower and manage flights and gates. Some are pretty kiddy-level, others are much more adult-heinous, in challenge levels. I can only imagine a CV sim managing air traffic is ten times worse than the real job.

When I worked for United and had shifts as flight manager, I only had to deal with four gates, but that could get hairy enough at times, especially when the pilots decided to do work slowdowns.  :( No way in hell I'd ever want to sit in an ATC tower.