As it's December....Favourite Christmas film

Started by JudgeDredd, December 04, 2016, 02:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

My personal favourite is White Christmas...just because it transports me back to 1974 when we (mum, dad, 2 brothers and 3 sisters) were sitting around the coal fire watching it on the TV on Christmas morning and it started snowing. Every Christmas morning, I put it on and keep a wary eye on outside in the vain hope that it'll snow "this year"...it doesn't ever seem to. I can't remember the last time I saw snow on Christmas morning  :'(

I thought I would restock on Christmas films...

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - one that everyone Christmas lover should have. I did - and lost it - so it's been bought again.
A Christmas Story - someone on these boards mentioned it a few years ago (I think it was Nefaro for some reason). I had never seen it but noticed one year it was on TV - so I watched it and really liked it - so I had to get that because every Christmas since watching it I check out the movie channels I get to see if it's there and it never has been since that first time.

Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

For full on Christmasness it has to be wonderful life - the cinema near home runs it til 11 pm Christmas Eve

Albert finneys or alistair sims Scrooge

And because it reminds me of sitting at home, snow outside and been off school close encounters of the 3rd kind

besilarius

If you're in the Washington, DC area, and you like "It's a Wonderful Life", the Washington Stage Guild puts on a marvelous verson. 
It is done as a radio play, and includes the sound man making his magic and other touches that really take you back to the 1930s.
Highly recommended for a fun night.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

White Christmas, every year.

Not a big fan of It's a Wonderful Life, and can't stand A Christmas Story.  Don't mind some of the animated ones, like Rudolf or the Mickey Mouse one.  The kids don't like Charlie Brown near as much as I do.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

I love the 1951 version of Scrooge with Alastair Sim.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

It's a Wonderful Life makes me cry every time. Love A Christmas Story too. And Mickey's Christmas Carol has been a family favorite for 30 years. Still watch it every holiday season.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

We love Muppet Christmas Carol in our house, and it's decently faithful to Dickens (with Gonzo staring as Charles Dickens).

Polar Express is great for just beautiful snowy scenery and music.

White Christmas is a must for us as well.

bob48

Quote from: bbmike on December 04, 2016, 09:43:53 AM
I love the 1951 version of Scrooge with Alastair Sim.  O0

+1 :bd:

Alastair Sim was brilliant!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

OJsDad

White Christmas is at the top of my list.

Polar Express and there's a Disney one with Uncle Scrooge and Huey, Dewey, and Louie that I like a lot. 

For comedy, it's Christmas Vacation. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on December 04, 2016, 12:08:57 PM
It's a Wonderful Life makes me cry every time. Love A Christmas Story too. And Mickey's Christmas Carol has been a family favorite for 30 years. Still watch it every holiday season.

It's a Wonderful Life, my favorite as well.  For my wife, it has to be A Christmas Story.  Did not know there was a A Christmas Story 2 until saw some of it on TV at me Mum's over Thanksgiving.  Did not look as fun/interesting as the first...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

Polar Express is a must at our house. Especially with grandkids now added to the mix.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: steve58 on December 04, 2016, 05:56:28 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 04, 2016, 12:08:57 PM

It's a Wonderful Life, my favorite as well.  For my wife, it has to be A Christmas Story.  Did not know there was a A Christmas Story 2 until saw some of it on TV at me Mum's over Thanksgiving.  Did not look as fun/interesting as the first...

I've read that A Christmas Story 2 is a radioactive pile of unclipped counters. There was actually a sequel to the original A Christmas Story called It Runs in the Family (1994) starring Charles Grodin as the Old Man and one of the Culkin brood as Ralphie. It's was relabeled as My Summer Story for some reason. I hesitate to watch either one.
I have watched A Christmas Story countless times.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Yeah I must have seen the original Christmas story 100 times.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Never been a fan of Christmas Story. I know that's blasphemy.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus