Squad Battles First World War

Started by RyanE, December 03, 2016, 08:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

I have been researching this game.  I always liked the SB series.  But I wasn't sure how it translated to WW!.  I noticed the dev notes talked about some of the issues with large unit sizes that were abstracted beyond the hex.  What do others think about the game?

btw, I read the grogheads review from 2013.  I am just looking for other players' perspectives.

Ubercat

I own AotR and gave up on it after a few scenarios. The way that your weapons just melt with use is pretty extreme. I was also frustrated with the fact that making any battle plans seemed completely irrelevant. "OK, I need to clear that peasant cottage so I can start rolling up his left flank and then grab the objective." Well, you can shoot all your infantry guns, mortars, and tanks at that building, but you ain't gonna scratch the defenders. Next thing you know, the scenario is half over and you haven't made a bit of progress. You can write this one off, now.  :pullhair:

Want to try again? No, forget it. Time to play something else.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

nelmsm

I play a lot of the Squad Battle series and really enjoy it. I find the WWI cames really shows the difficulty of attacking in the period. The units are a lot larger than the other games because the squad really wasn't the maneuver focus that it became later. Like the rest of the series though you still need to use fire AND movement to close with and assault the enemy.  Pretty rare that you'll be able to subdue infantry in good cover without closing with them

gabeeg

I am also a big fan of SB and its emphasis on maneuver and suppression.  I bought the WWI title and have to say I was a little skeptical, and though I have only played 4 or 5 PBEM games so far I think they did a pretty good job of simulating WWI warfare.  It may not be everyones cup of tea as there is pretty high attrition for a SB game and maneuver is a lot slower and more difficult IMO...but this is WWI...so I had to learn new habits (...am still not there yet).   If you like SB and are interested in WWI I say it is worth the purchase.   I like the WWII titles better but that is due to my own preferences and interest.  You do get to play with early armor and gas attack which I think is well done and interesting, as well as rolling barrages!  As with all the more recent SB titles the documentation and research is very good.
Kind Regards,
Harry

Tuna

Quote from: Ubercat on December 03, 2016, 09:53:35 PM
I own AotR and gave up on it after a few scenarios. The way that your weapons just melt with use is pretty extreme. I was also frustrated with the fact that making any battle plans seemed completely irrelevant. "OK, I need to clear that peasant cottage so I can start rolling up his left flank and then grab the objective." Well, you can shoot all your infantry guns, mortars, and tanks at that building, but you ain't gonna scratch the defenders. Next thing you know, the scenario is half over and you haven't made a bit of progress. You can write this one off, now.  :pullhair:

Want to try again? No, forget it. Time to play something else.

Same for me.. On paper I should love it. But game play to me is very frustrating.

jomni

SB FWW is a very good study in the evolution of tactics and arms during the First World War. Early scenarios  started with platoon sized units doing massed maneuvers under a banner. Then it evolved into trench warfare and infantry organised into independent squads doing infiltration tactics.

Richie61

First of all I love the SB series. WWII is my cup of tea, but I play them all. Not a huge fan of degrading weapons, but I understand why JT went that way and both sides deal with it.

FWW is a good title. I agree with what the posters said and you need to adjust your tactical mindset and all is fine  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Boggit

Just to observe with the degrading weapons, it makes sense when you consider each turn is some 5 minutes.

After say 15 minutes of heavy firing a squad is unlikely to have that much ammunition left without resupply, especially with automatic or semi automatic weapons. IIRC, some of the SB games allow a replenishment over time of degraded weapons if the unit does nothing, but given the relatively short length of games, that doesn't add up very well. All the same reduced value weapons (because of earlier shooting) aren't affected for assault (which is odd, because you'd probably use more ammo up close anyway).
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

panzerde

Quote from: Richie61 on December 04, 2016, 07:10:07 PM
First of all I love the SB series. WWII is my cup of tea, but I play them all. Not a huge fan of degrading weapons, but I understand why JT went that way and both sides deal with it.

FWW is a good title. I agree with what the posters said and you need to adjust your tactical mindset and all is fine  :)

This is pretty much my spin on it, too. Here's some screenies and some commentary on it https://panzerde.blogspot.com/2016/05/2worcestershire-at-geluvelt.html
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

RyanE

Thanks for the feedback and effort.  I'm still on tje fence with it.

Bison

I've enjoyed playing FWW, but I think Falklands is my favorite game in the series. 

Bison

Quote from: panzerde on December 05, 2016, 05:59:26 PM
Here's some screenies and some commentary on it https://panzerde.blogspot.com/2016/05/2worcestershire-at-geluvelt.html

Hey this is awesome I didn't know you had a blog.  It'd be front page material for this place, if it actually had one.   8)

panzerde

Quote from: Bison on December 07, 2016, 11:21:35 AM
Quote from: panzerde on December 05, 2016, 05:59:26 PM
Here's some screenies and some commentary on it https://panzerde.blogspot.com/2016/05/2worcestershire-at-geluvelt.html

Hey this is awesome I didn't know you had a blog.  It'd be front page material for this place, if it actually had one.   8)

:DD

But thanks!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"