Games that require a good plan and a big cup of tea

Started by undercovergeek, September 28, 2016, 04:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Dont get me wrong, im very, very happy with my library right now - loving the Wargame series, hopping back into Endless Legend, embarking on my Steel Beasts career

Its been a long time, and im frustratingly disappointed that i cant remember which one it was, since i played a game that had you looking at the screen thoughtfully rubbing your chin thinking WTF am i going to do here, do i go that way with those (tanks, archers, transpondulators), or this way? Deploy the machine guns?

Games that make you work at a plan and a strategy and then let you watch the results unfold. Recently it was a game of Airland Battle but the chance to think is very very minimal, im talking about the ones you think about before you drop off to sleep (strategic bomb the factories or send in the infantry and capture them), think about on the toilet (the best place for military plans) and think about on the drive to work - as i type this i realise its probably a TBS strategy game but who knows

any thoughts?

SirAndrewD

Modern X-Com and X-Com 2 had a bit of that. 

Strangely enough the games that spring to mind the most for me are older though.  V for Victory Series, Operational Art of War III.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

RyanE

I would say Command is at the top of the list...it's 90% planning, 10% action.

Jarhead0331

Any number of space 4x games, Polaris sector, stellaris, distant worlds, MOO3, any paradox title, HOI, EUIV, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 28, 2016, 04:30:52 PM
Strangely enough the games that spring to mind the most for me are older though....Operational Art of War III.

TOAW for sure.

I'd add the original Carriers at War to the list as well.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rekim

Toonces

The game you're thinking of is either War in the Pacific or Crusader Kings 2.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Any of the Decisive Campaign games along with my new Love, American Civil War 2. Though instead of Tea, I recommend strong coffee.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 28, 2016, 06:28:20 PM
Though instead of Tea, I recommend strong coffee.

If the plan goes awry, I recommend bourbon. If the plan succeeds, again bourbon.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mikeck

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 28, 2016, 06:28:20 PM
Any of the Decisive Campaign games along with my new Love, American Civil War 2. Though instead of Tea, I recommend strong coffee.

I was going to say Decisive Campaigns:Barbarossa. Have to plan everything out or your find yourself out of supplies, out of fuel, combat ineffective due to broken vehicles or all three.

Also Command/ Modern Naval. Lots of planning and timing. Slow pace
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

Quote from: Capn Darwin on September 28, 2016, 07:49:09 PM
Perhaps our Flashpoint Campaigns:Red Storm  O0

Lots of bourbon required for when the plan goes awry :P

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

Quote from: Capn Darwin on September 28, 2016, 07:54:05 PM
I prefer a good single malt scotch myself.

Let us not quibble over the appropriate method to drown one's digital sorrows.