Idea For a board RPG

Started by gameleaper, September 27, 2016, 07:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

I was thinking on an idea for an RPG, and decided to think about a cross hybred boardgame RPG

the idea revolves round a vampire mansion, each part of the mansion is deivided into sections, eg the stairs may contain 3 sections going up a room may contain 3 sections(this is important , you cant move sideways or diagonal or backwards, the card drawn must be strictly followed). there would be many floors to the mansion all split up into sections like a 3d boardgame.

now you have a deck of cards , in the deck are movement cards eg move 7 sections, you could be free to move but must move 7 steps forwards or back but NOT both.

every step you must draw an event card, these cards, could stop movement or increase it, the events could also activate traps or show secret doors or find weapons or health potions etc...

the mansion would be filled with vampire items like coffins, victims, defences, gold etc.. then at the start of the game each player draws a scenario card one of many , these scenario cards tell each player what his/her objective is, like becoming a vampire, or killing a vampire, or killing a player, or finding gold, or resuing victims etc...

as each player draw a card, the vampires draw from the vampire deck, and move etc.. they don't get a choice they have to follow the cards exactly. they may have an objective to turn players into vampires who join the vampires against the other players or they may kill players.

this game is designed for vampires but could be easily changed to say a WWII bunker ir a boothill saloon etc..

gameleaper

Ive been so busy this last month, hope you guys had fun without me :) I'm still busy and may be drawn away again, .

gameleaper

The idea is to drive play forward in an RPG type game, I found when playing a solo RPG i was stoping to oftem without any firm directiom , my game idea allows me to play solo an RPG with all the action run by the game cards etc..

you could apply the game to a star trek type game , all the decks on a ship could replace the mansions floors, anf the borg could replace the vampires,

I think this is a good idea for solo players

Nefaro

There are a number of Adventure Games with a similar concept. 

This one sounds very similar to Betrayal At House On The Hill, in case you've never seen it. 

Has been fairly popular with board gamers.  Starts off as a co-op exploratory tile crawler with card-driven events/items/discoveries.  Then, near the end, one random player's character turns into a baddie.  Stuff like mutating into a monster, or trying to 'feed' the other heroes to something in the House (or the house itself).  They have to go read the specific horror plot & objectives they drew, while the remaining "good guy" players read their related horror themed narrative.  At that point the players don't always know exactly what they need to do in order to win, until the traitor and/or horrors reveal it in some way.

It's on the lighter side of themed adventure games, but it's easier to learn & plays faster than many.  Not co-op/solitaire, however. There are others that kinda match your idea, too.  They're pretty popular, lately, since many newer ones have fully co-operative options, with the opponents being run by the game mechanics.  Which means they are also 100% solitaire too.

QuoteBetrayal at House on the Hill quickly builds suspense and excitement as players explore a haunted mansion of their own design, encountering spirits and frightening omens that foretell their fate. With an estimated one hour playing time, Betrayal at House on the Hill is ideal for parties, family gatherings or casual fun with friends.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a tile game that allows players to build their own haunted house room by room, tile by tile, creating a new thrilling game board every time. The game is designed for three to six people, each of whom plays one of six possible characters.

Secretly, one of the characters betrays the rest of the party, and the innocent members of the party must defeat the traitor in their midst before it's too late! Betrayal at House on the Hill will appeal to any game player who enjoys a fun, suspenseful, and strategic game.

I have a good number of these types.  Don't need to wrangle up players & fight schedules to enjoy solo.  Here are some other horror themed titles I have:

Eldritch Horror
Arkham Horror
Shadows Of Brimstone
A Touch Of Evil
Dead Of Winter
Zombicide

..to name a few.  Also have some sci-fi and fantasy themed ones too.

bayonetbrant

Actually it sounds very similar to Dungeoneer, once you string a few decks together and start changing levels (above / below ground)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

gameleaper

I suppose everything I can think of has been done before , I'm liking this type of adventure mechanic . Ive bought the profantasy.com map making software, so it looks like a simple enough project to get going. some of those boardgames Nef & bayonet look interesting -

I may revise the idea yet, I was thinking of the first resident evil game on the playstation one many moons ago, I liked that mansion, and I thought of Talisman for movement idea, aswell as heroquest. and I may use a vampire RPG book for ideas.  I'm trying to do two things play on a computer and solo, and I think this may work for me, I'm going to use the BGRPG virtual table maybe.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Have a look at the app for Mansions of Madness for iOS, Android, and Windows.  It's free to download and fiddle around with.  It does a decent job of acting as a sort of scenario designer/DM.  Might give you some ideas.

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on September 27, 2016, 08:18:52 PM
There are a number of Adventure Games with a similar concept. 

This one sounds very similar to Betrayal At House On The Hill, in case you've never seen it. 

Has been fairly popular with board gamers.  Starts off as a co-op exploratory tile crawler with card-driven events/items/discoveries.  Then, near the end, one random player's character turns into a baddie.  Stuff like mutating into a monster, or trying to 'feed' the other heroes to something in the House (or the house itself).  They have to go read the specific horror plot & objectives they drew, while the remaining "good guy" players read their related horror themed narrative.  At that point the players don't always know exactly what they need to do in order to win, until the traitor and/or horrors reveal it in some way.

It's on the lighter side of themed adventure games, but it's easier to learn & plays faster than many.  Not co-op/solitaire, however. There are others that kinda match your idea, too.  They're pretty popular, lately, since many newer ones have fully co-operative options, with the opponents being run by the game mechanics.  Which means they are also 100% solitaire too.

QuoteBetrayal at House on the Hill quickly builds suspense and excitement as players explore a haunted mansion of their own design, encountering spirits and frightening omens that foretell their fate. With an estimated one hour playing time, Betrayal at House on the Hill is ideal for parties, family gatherings or casual fun with friends.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a tile game that allows players to build their own haunted house room by room, tile by tile, creating a new thrilling game board every time. The game is designed for three to six people, each of whom plays one of six possible characters.

Secretly, one of the characters betrays the rest of the party, and the innocent members of the party must defeat the traitor in their midst before it's too late! Betrayal at House on the Hill will appeal to any game player who enjoys a fun, suspenseful, and strategic game.

I have a good number of these types.  Don't need to wrangle up players & fight schedules to enjoy solo.  Here are some other horror themed titles I have:

Eldritch Horror
Arkham Horror
Shadows Of Brimstone
A Touch Of Evil
Dead Of Winter
Zombicide

..to name a few.  Also have some sci-fi and fantasy themed ones too.

I'm going to vassal now to look for these games and dungeaneer too

gameleaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 27, 2016, 09:09:45 PM
Have a look at the app for Mansions of Madness for iOS, Android, and Windows.  It's free to download and fiddle around with.  It does a decent job of acting as a sort of scenario designer/DM.  Might give you some ideas.

thanks Silent, I like the idea of my ipad having it

Nefaro

Does the new edition of Mansions Of Madness come with fully co-op/solitaire digital program too?  Like the one FFG has done for their Descent game?

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on September 27, 2016, 10:17:24 PM
Does the new edition of Mansions Of Madness come with fully co-op/solitaire digital program too?  Like the one FFG has done for their Descent game?

just had a quick go on the ipad, seems really story driven, and you play all the charectors I think, I was a bit stumped by the constant help system going over everything in the room, it mat be switched off some where , and I could not change skill this may be for some good reason like what scenario I was playing, but its a good looking totally free app and I like it , just need to figure its options out

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's not a stand alone app.  It's meant to be played in conjunction with the board game which includes the miniatures for all the characters and adversaries as well as all the cards, counters, rules, and physical game tiles.